Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percentage of Tesla owners are TSLA owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Probably has a material effect. Wealth and loyalty feeding each other for continuous car upgrades and purchases - an appreciating stock price may have an underestimated impact here. This may be the closest we'll ever get to an economic perpetual motion machine.

I say >50%.

I would agree that a very large percentage are TSLA owners. This does present some interesting points for anyone who wants to short TSLA. Here is my idea. Most TSLA owners are fairly well off financially in order to be able to own a Tesla. If a large percentage of these owners are also TSLA owners, then a significant percent of the float is owned by wealthy owners of the car. These people are the ultimate insiders since they actually have the car, know everything about it, know how good the service it, etc. So when there is a negative news story, they don't have the knee-jerk reaction to sell their shares. Therefore, it this is a cushion for large drops in the stock price.

A more interesting question would be how many TSLA owners have had the stock appreciation pay for their car. I know I got my P85 for "free" and then some because of the stock I bought on IPO day.

I would agree that a very large percentage are TSLA owners. This does present some interesting points for anyone who wants to short TSLA. Here is my idea. Most TSLA owners are fairly well off financially in order to be able to own a Tesla. If a large percentage of these owners are also TSLA owners, then a significant percent of the float is owned by wealthy owners of the car. These people are the ultimate insiders since they actually have the car, know everything about it, know how good the service it, etc. So when there is a negative news story, they don't have the knee-jerk reaction to sell their shares. Therefore, it this is a cushion for large drops in the stock price.

A more interesting question would be how many TSLA owners have had the stock appreciation pay for their car. I know I got my P85 for "free" and then some because of the stock I bought on IPO day.

+1000

this has been the root of my thesis for the continual rise in stock price. Every week there are 600 new TSLA owners...if half of them are buying TSLA stock then you can say there are 300 new high net worth long term investors in TSLA stock EVERY week. Lets say on average they buy 200 shares each....that would be 60k more shares each week going long for the long term every week. Over 10 weeks that 600k and has a significant material and appreciative impact n TSLA stock price over time. Especially as my numbers above are very conservative estimates.

in reality, within those 300 new TSLA investors each week there will be a few ultra high net worth people who buy 10,000 shares+ each which would probably push the average up to 500 shares per new investor in TSLA each week.

As we reach new highs perhaps 50% of these new TSLA investors turn out to be weak longs and sell while the other 50% hold on long term no matter how high the price goes.

This cycle above is the main reason I am very confident in a continual rise in TSLA stock, especially as production ramps up and as we expand to new ultra nigh net worth consumers/investors in new markets...this will be very exciting, especially if the Model X turns out to be amazing as well.

+1. I have been saying this for a while. I think it is unique to TSLA too.

1) If you can afford a TSLA you have a retirement account (401k, IRA) and or brokerage account. 90+% likelihood (trust fund babies and Justin Biebers excepted I guess?)
2) If you beleive in TSLA enough to get a car, you are going to have at least a small position in your accounts
3) You have a Tesla car, you show it to your wealthy friends.
4) the wealthy friends by at least some TSLA stock
5) some of those friends get cars. Go to #1

It is a pyramid scheme in which each car creates new investors (many) and new car customers (fewer). The pyramid contains an ever larger group of dedicated stockholders.

TSLA has paid for the S, paid for the Sig X (if it stays above 200) and will most likely pay for the E as well, college for the kids, early retirement and a bag of chips ;) Hard to believe after just pressing the 'buy' button a couple of times.

TSLA has paid for the S, paid for the Sig X (if it stays above 200) and will most likely pay for the E as well, college for the kids, early retirement and a bag of chips ;) Hard to believe after just pressing the 'buy' button a couple of times.

Same here. I feel very lucky. I give many kudos to the people who bought stock and reserved a car that they could neither see or drive. My wife and I drove the car at the Washington, DC store (about 2 hours from our home), and like many, immediately put a deposit down and went home and scrounged up as much cash as I could to buy as much stock as I could.
I am like Dicsoducky: Paid for S, a Sig X, an E; and made it possible to pick any retirement date I please. Thank you Tesla and TMC!

I actually bought the stock a few months before my reservation/test drive.
I've bought and sold TSLA several times, as well as played some options and I also write covered calls for income
To date, my Model S is now payed for, except that it's all in my IRA account (which is good because no tax), but i'll be paying tax on it as it's drawn down. I'm no " teslanair", but probably could have been without all of the buying and selling... at one point I owned 1,100 shares at an average cost of $29 :(

I feel like less than 50% of Tesla owners have stock. There's a lot of people who don't really know that much about the company and just wanted a great car. The perception on TMC is probably skewed since most people here are interested in both. Also I suspect the percentage of EU Tesla+TSLA owners is much lower just because they are less likely to have money in the US stock market. If I had to guess I would say 25-30% of people who own the car also own the stock which is still significant. I'd love to see some stats on it, but I can't really think of any way to do an unbiased survey of owners.

I feel like less than 50% of Tesla owners have stock. There's a lot of people who don't really know that much about the company and just wanted a great car. The perception on TMC is probably skewed since most people here are interested in both. Also I suspect the percentage of EU Tesla+TSLA owners is much lower just because they are less likely to have money in the US stock market. If I had to guess I would say 25-30% of people who own the car also own the stock which is still significant. I'd love to see some stats on it, but I can't really think of any way to do an unbiased survey of owners.

What about just standing outside a popular supercharger for a day and surveying each TSLA owner who stops by to ask. I may consider doing that one day.

What about just standing outside a popular supercharger for a day and surveying each TSLA owner who stops by to ask. I may consider doing that one day.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I can't imagine too much bias in that approach.

Also I see Robert.Boston created a poll this morning. Looks like most of the car owners that answered so far also own stock. Then again judging by the poll over 85% of all people own TSLA stock :wink:

I bought my Tesla a year ago this month. I saw the stock but it didn't strike me as a good (or bad) buy, particularly since I am a mutual funds, pretty conservative investor (for example, I paid cash for the car). After seeing the skyrocketing of the price over the next months, I was figuratively second guessing my conservatism. At the same time my wife was bugging me a little about the amount of cash in my Roth IRA and that I should be investing it. So in November, after the big drop to about 140, I thought it might be a good time to buy within the Roth, since there are no capital gains or other taxes to pay. So I put in a limit order at 130 and it got executed about a week later. The stock did drop further to about 120, but as an owner and member of the TMC, I knew that the scare about fires was a bunch of overblown nonsense. In that sense I was an insider - but just someone who regularly sits inside a Tesla :). Anyway, when it hit $190+ I had made back the cost of the car with my 1500 shares (amazingly for me the conservative investor, this is the first time in my almost 70 years of life that I have had an investment go up so quickly - only 3 months to go up 50%.) . So I have a double Tesla grin.