Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What percentage of the day should my M3 sleep when not used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm self-quarantined and have way too much time on my hands. My M3 is sitting in the garage and have been using logging into TeslaFi twice per day to check battery levels. It is sleeping approximately 25% of the time, which is much lower than I would expect. What are others experiencing?

I'm not using anything else to monitor the car. I have TeslaFi configured to their recommendations and I've turned background refresh off on the TeslaApp so it isn't pinging the car.

It uses about .03 kWh per hour when sleeping, and .13 kWh per hour when idle, so I see significant range loss when at idle.

GLM

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
What version of FW are you running? There have been a bunch of recent posts regarding sleep issues, I'm seeing them and running FW 2020.12, to be safe (and test the situation) I just changed my Tesla password to stop TeslaFi from connecting.

My $0.02 is we'll be seeing an update soon and this will go away.

Reactions: fseir and Matsayz
In the last few days my car was waking up by itself and staying online for 2 hours every 38 hours, ie. about 5.3% awake when not driven. Not seeing significant vampire drain. So it went like this:

I drove it ---> it slept for 36 hrs --> it went online (awake) for 2 hrs --> it slept until I drove it again, and repeat

FW 2020.8.1, not plugged in and not running Sentry mode when it sleeps, and using TeslaMate to monitor.

The fact that you have TeslaFi active is keeping the car from sleeping. Shut TeslaFi down completely except for a single short time every day so that you can see what's happening. You can turn it on when you're using the car, but otherwise shut it down.

I have TeslaFi active, but sleep enabled in settings. My car sleeps 85% of the time.

I have TeslaFi active, but sleep enabled in settings. My car sleeps 85% of the time.
What are your sleep settings?

I've have "Sleep Mode" enabled
Time to try sleeping set to 15
Idle time before trying to sleep set to 30
"No Shift State Reading:" checked/enabled
Night time sleep mode set from 10pm to 6am
Polling time while idle set to 1
Show offline as asleep: checked/enabled

The fact that you have TeslaFi active is keeping the car from sleeping. Shut TeslaFi down completely except for a single short time every day so that you can see what's happening. You can turn it on when you're using the car, but otherwise shut it down.
TeslaFi does not keep your car awake, neither does checking the TeslaFi website.
The Tesla API allows the server to be queried without touching the car, so TeslafFi just does a periodic "is the car awake" api call, if its awake it starts polling for data.
Yesterday my car was asleep for 8 hours, then charging for 6 hours (we did a lot of driving the day before), before sleeping for another 8 hours. That is with me using TeslaFi to check drive stats, charges and other things through the day.
I have sleep mode enabled in TeslaFi with default settings and have not had issues in the two years I've been using it.
Opening the Tesla phone app however definitely will wake the car up.
Other in car options that will keep it awake are "summon standby" and Sentry Mode, ao I leave standby off completely and sentry off at home.

Tangentially related. One of the things I noticed while checking TeslaFi while my car is sleeping soundly (and has been for almost 10 hours). My car has had 44 updates with an average of 14 days between updates and an average of 2 days from release to install. :cool:

upload_2020-4-25_16-45-11.png

Mine sleeps well with Teslafi.

View attachment 535636
Mine sleeps well with Teslafi.

Mine also. However, it didn't sleep much at all while I was using the Tesla windows app. This app is not published by Tesla, but by a third party. I downloaded it before I received my M3 in December, and before I was aware of the cautions concerning third party software. I uninstalled the app and most of my vampire drain went away. Yes, I know, why do I still use Teslafi, which is also third party? Simply because I want to, I guess. And I find it useful.

I’ve had my car a month to the day, driven it once. It seems if I don’t interact with the car and don’t open the Tesla App it never wakes up. I do have Teslafi and peek briefly every now and then but it doesn’t wake to car up. Teslafi sleep set to default.