Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What percentage of your liquid assets is being used to fund your Model S purchase?

What % of your Liquid Assets is being used to buy your Model S?

• The cost of the Model S I want is more than the money I have. I'll be forced to borrow money

Votes: 48 22.4%
  • 87.5% - 100% of my assests are being used to purchase the Model S

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • 75% - 87.5%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 62.5% - 75%

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 50% - 62.5%

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • 37.5% - 50%

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 25% - 37.5%

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • 12.5% - 25%

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • < 12.5% of my assests are being used to purchase the Model S

Votes: 91 42.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We didn't use the briefcase: The Sig Series deposit fit in my wife's small handbag, and the Tesla guy patiently counted it out in front of us. We both thought it was a kick, tho' I don't know what TM thought of it. I just wanted a low number in line and decided it was faster to appear with the money. I got what I wanted, and we have a fun memory - and TM has another reservation holder.

Wow. Wish you had photos. Being hundreds of miles from a Tesla store, I just mailed a check. I still got a reservation number within three days -- it probably would have taken me longer to get there and back.

In a few recent cases where banks were making trouble for people closing large accounts (generally closing them because of annoyance about fees) by trying to charge a fee for a cashier's check, the person closing the account simply said, "fine, I'll take cash instead," at which point the bank waived the cashier's check fee rather than deal with the paperwork.

Funny you say this. I dropped Wells Fargo (the $3 debit fee was only a small part) after they ruined Wachovia. And they did the same *sugar* to me. Tried to charge me 1.5% of my accounts in cashiers check fee (I think there was a $50 cap). I told them I would take cash then tehy dropped the fee.

And I do know about the fact they don't have to give you change.

I thought about it. I got a 401k statement recently for the funds I'd rolled everything into in 2004. It's worth a few % less now than it was then. I picked the funds that had had the best running 15 year average at the time.

I can get a 2.99% loan, but unless I think the market is going to be nicer in the next decade than the last, I'm better off paying cash and not paying the interest.
See, that was your strategic mistake! Obviously, those were the firms that had shot their wad, and were about to be eclipsed. Or, at best, had achieved the stable slow growth stage. ;)

That's not really relevant to transactions in India.

Is it 5k now? Back when I played a lot of online poker, it was $10k and you could also be in trouble if you purposefully tried to execute multiple transactions of just under 10k to get around the notification.

The actual CTR rule is still 10k, although for certain transactions (purchasing money orders, traveler's checks or making transfers) the reporting limit is 3k. For suspicious activity, the reporting threshold is 2k. You are correct that breaking up transactions to get under the limit (called structuring) is a serious no-no.

One year as I was on my way to Vegas for the WSOP, a TSA screener saw a lot of cash in my carry-on and brought over the police. There was a period of more than an hour where they seemed determined to seize the money under drug forfeiture laws over my strenuous objections and my willingness to have them call my bank who could confirm that I withdrew the money from my own account that very day. My attorney assured me that he would eventually have recovered the money, but figured it would have taken a couple of years. He didn't advise me what percentage of it he would have consumed in legal fees doing so, but I have my suspicions.

I miss the old Party Poker days so much.

Could've paid cash for my P85+ but got an Alliant Credit Union 1.49% loan and invested the difference in TSLA - Now I'm up more than the cost of the vehicle.

Sweet.

I could have paid cash too, and then speaking of liquid assets, would have been cash flow poor for a while so I took the same route. I put ~40k down and financed the rest at a very cheap rate. In fact, the cost of borrowing the money is so cheap comparatively speaking that I wonder why I don't borrow more.