Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What power company and home charger do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we waiting for our tesla to arrive, we have been looking at various options for home charging. We are currently getting our carport demo'd to make way for a new garage and will potentially install 3 phase power. Do any of you guys use anything other than the tesla wall box and what power company would give the best rates for charging at home?

At $800 with built in RCD Type B protection, the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector is hard to beat on value for a three phase EVSE. They can also charge other EVs so if you're installing one, might as well go with that. Having the button on the connector to open the charge door or remove the cable is a nice bonus too!

As for power company, I go with Meridian as they have an EV plan with lower off-peak rates. In Christchurch, they give me 9c/kWh so it's actually lowered my overall power bill since I make sure most high energy appliances run off peak. The downside is a higher day rate but if your household is mostly out of the house during the day then it's not a big deal.

I have a 32A Delta AC which predates our Tesla. But agree with the above, if I was buying now the Tesla Gen 3 is a no brainer.

The button is so useful, because my cable is third party so I have to open the car and unplug from the screen or use the phone app.

For electricity in Wellington I am currently with Trustpower on a day/night rate - 20c / 11c. I do all my charging at night.

Good question but depends where in New Zealand you are.
I'm under Counties Power and they do not allow energy suppliers to offer night time rates, so I went with Contact Energy who could offer 3 free hours of power per night. Good Nights plan 3 free hours between 9pm - 12am
This allowed me to get a Tesla wall charger which will charge 48km/h or 10% per hour, so in the 3 free hours I can get 30%/144km
(Model 3 SR+/RWD unicorn 60kW Battery)
I do have solar panels so use very little during the day and I'm also on their low user rate.
My daily use is between 50-100km.

Last edited:
I am in Auckland and with Electric Kiwi. They recently put up their rates, but it is still worth it for me as they give an Hour of Power every day during off peak times. I chose 9-10pm and during this time I charge my Tesla, put on the dishwasher, heatpump, Playstation, TV etc are running. I use the Tesla Wall Connector and within an hour it replaces my daily commute, so it is a great setup for me.

At $800 with built in RCD Type B protection, the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector is hard to beat on value for a three phase EVSE. They can also charge other EVs so if you're installing one, might as well go with that. Having the button on the connector to open the charge door or remove the cable is a nice bonus too!

As for power company, I go with Meridian as they have an EV plan with lower off-peak rates. In Christchurch, they give me 9c/kWh so it's actually lowered my overall power bill since I make sure most high energy appliances run off peak. The downside is a higher day rate but if your household is mostly out of the house during the day then it's not a big deal.

Since we waiting for our tesla to arrive, we have been looking at various options for home charging. We are currently getting our carport demo'd to make way for a new garage and will potentially install 3 phase power. Do any of you guys use anything other than the tesla wall box and what power company would give the best rates for charging at home?
Tesla home charger with ecotricity group buy via solarcity (solarzero)... they charge $0.08 for buy/sell on electricity. Home charger charges car to full in 3-4 hours over night.

I've been tempted by the contact good nights plan, free power 9pm-midnight. Could basically charge the car for free if we plugged in a little more often than we currently do. (32a HPWC). Meridian night EV plan is also good for us in AKL, ~12c/kwh night rate.