TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What precautions does the car take when in an accident with regard to the batteries?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tdiggity, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

A service tech explained some of the features to me once. I can't remember them all, but they have g-force sensors (just like for airbags) that will disconnect the battery. And the battery has had all the air pumped out so it has pressure sensors; if the case cracks and air gets in, it will disconnect the battery. And it has current sensors; if the current suddenly spikes as in a short, it will disconnect the battery. It seems there was at least one more.

Some Roadsters have been in some pretty nasty accidents, but I don't recall anything bad ever happening with the battery. That's not to say nothing bad will ever happen; but I'm convinced it's way safer than carrying gas around.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

As I recall there are also tilt (as in rollover) and immersion (as in drive into the lake) sensors.