Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Preventive Maintenance Does Everyone do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S with 31K miles on it. Really haven't done any preventive maintenance, do I need to?

What are others doing? I don't find the yearly service very valuable since I've driven almost 30K miles in one year, seams like over kill to spend 800-1000 a year on checkups when they really aren't doing much.

Rotate the tires, Change the brake fluid every few years, change the diff fluid every few years, wipers, fob batteries. That should be about it. Maybe clean/lube the brake caliper slides if you tend to never use your brakes and are in a cold climate.

So why does Tesla recommend the annual service at $700? The service center is still a profit center!

Don't forget - the most important service to keep the battery warranty is the battery dessicant - if you fail to do this and fail to keep a record - and have any battery issues - they will refuse any battery warranty claims.

If you LEASE the vehicle your lease also requires that you perform maintenance in accordance with the schedule - you fail to do that you're gonna get a nasty bill at the end.

The service center is still a profit center!.
Yes, yes it is.

Don't forget - the most important service to keep the battery warranty is the battery dessicant - if you fail to do this and fail to keep a record - and have any battery issues - they will refuse any battery warranty claims.

If you LEASE the vehicle your lease also requires that you perform maintenance in accordance with the schedule - you fail to do that you're gonna get a nasty bill at the end.

The what? As far as I'm aware there is no such thing, certainly not user replaceable and not replaced during the Annual. The desiccant mentioned in the annual service is for the A/C system, nothing to do with the battery.

So why does Tesla recommend the annual service at $700? The service center is still a profit center!

The battery coolant does need to be replaced. Don’t know about desiccant, that’s usually for keeping things dry.

I rotate my tires every 5k miles, get an alignment every 6 months, replace my cabin air filter once a year, and replace my windshield wipers as needed. I would do a brake flush at two years, but warranty repairs required it anyways, so no sense in doing it again. I would add the keyfob battery as needed, but after 2.5 years I am still on my original batteries in both fobs.

Why get an alignment at preset intervals as opposed to getting it when you are showing signs of misalignment?
I used to get the alignment at preset intervals on my last car, NTB had a package, you pay once and you can come in every 6 months, so I did... don't know why, just habit (they would rotate the tires too)

On the Tesla, I had my tires replaced at the 2 years mark and about 45k miles, I told them if I need an alignment, do it. They replaced the tires, checked alignment, told me I'm still within spec and not to worry about it. I was surprised, but cool. 2+ years, 1 alignment check, no alignments required.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Usually whatever is called for in the maintenance schedule. It may not be done exactly on time, but I try to stick with what's recommended. I just did my transmission service 2 weeks ago, and flushed the brakes a few months ago. Next order of business is a coolant flush, but I haven't found a way around getting into the car's systems to purge the coolant loops and enable the pumps.

Usually whatever is called for in the maintenance schedule. It may not be done exactly on time, but I try to stick with what's recommended. I just did my transmission service 2 weeks ago, and flushed the brakes a few months ago. Next order of business is a coolant flush, but I haven't found a way around getting into the car's systems to purge the coolant loops and enable the pumps.

What's the transmission service??

Here is the services that are done when you have the maintenance performed:

Check for Alerts, Repair any Issues Found, Clear Alerts

1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox to the vehicle.
  2. In Toolbox, select Perspectives > Predefined Perspectives > Service Default.
  3. Check the Currently Active Alerts, Alert History, and DTCs panels.
  4. After performing any necessary repairs, clear any DTCs:
    1. In the DTCs panel, select the "Clear DTC" radio button.
    2. Click the Start/Play button.
Panoramic Roof

1. Fully open the sliding glass.
  2. Use compressed air to blow out the drain hoses.
Caution: Do not exceed 25 PSI (1.7 Bar).

1. Wrap a clean cloth around a plastic pry tool or other thin tool, then use it to remove dirt and old grease from the 4 channels on each side of the panoramic roof.
  2. Apply Klübersynth noise reduction grease to the 4 channels. Caution: Use only Klübersynth noise reduction grease, Tesla part number 1031102-00-A. Other greases can permanently damage the roof seals.
  3. Move the sliding glass to the 30% open position.
  4. Remove the sliding glass.
  5. Apply Klübersynth noise reduction grease to the sections of the tracks that were blocked by the sliding glass.
  6. Visually inspect the links and shoes for damage.
  7. Reinstall the sliding glass.
  8. Calibrate the panoramic roof.
  9. Use alcohol wipes to remove any grease from the glass and appliques. Use a clean, dry cloth to remove grease from the rubber seals. Caution: Do not use alcohol to remove grease from rubber seals. Alcohol degrades the rubber seals.
Wiper Blades
Replace the wiper blades.

Cabin Air Filter
Replace the particulate filter.

Coolant
Drain and refill the cooling system.

Steering Gear Bolts

Ensure that the bolts (x2) that secure the steering rack to the subframe are torqued to 175 Nm.

Note: Components have been removed in this graphic to aid clarity.

Hood Release Latch
RWD vehicles: Clean the secondary latch, then apply the proper lubricant.

Dual Motor vehicles: Clean the latch, then apply the proper lubricant.

A/C Desiccant Bag
Replace the desiccant bag.

Brake Fluid
Perform the full system bleed procedure.

Brake Caliper Pad Slides
Note: This is recommended for cold weather regions.

Note: Cleaning and lubricating the caliper pad slides/abutments is not included in the Annual Service price.

Note: Perform the following steps on all 4 calipers.

1. Remove the pad retaining pins and collect the anti-rattle spring.
Note: Always check that the anti-rattle clip has not been damaged. This part is easily damaged and is important to help eliminate squeaks.

1. Use a suitable tool to gently push the pistons back into caliper.
  2. Remove the brake pads from the caliper.
  3. Thoroughly clean the caliper pad slides and abutments with a hand brush (1057223-00-A) and soapy water.
Caution: If there is rust or pitting on the caliper that cannot be removed with a hand brush, replace the caliper.

• Front brake caliper.
    • Rear brake caliper.
  1. Apply an even layer of Silaramic lubricant (1063021-00-A) to the caliper pad slides. Remove any excess lubricant.
  2. Apply an even layer of copper paste between the shim and the backing plate. Remove any paste that squeezes out after installing the shim.
Caution: Ensure that the brake pads move freely.

Caution: Do not apply copper paste to the caliper, seals, or any component other than the shim and backing plate.

Transmission Fluid

Drain and refill the fluid from the gearbox(es):

• Rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the large rear drive unit.
  • Non-Performance Dual Motor vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the front drive unit.
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the small rear drive unit.
  • Performance Dual Motor vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the front drive unit.
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the large rear drive unit.
Tire Rotation

1. Refer to the recommended tire rotation pattern for the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheels and reinstall them in the appropriate positions.
Thermal System Test

1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox 2.0 or later to the vehicle.
  2. Navigate to Panels > Thermal > Thermal System Test.
  3. Click the Start/Play button.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Suspension Fasteners

1. Check the torque of the front suspension bolts.
  2. Check the torque of the rear suspension bolts.
Wheel Alignment Check

Perform a wheel alignment check

Wheel Alignment Adjustment

Note: This is recommended if the wheel alignment check determines the wheel alignment is out of specification.

Note: Wheel alignment adjustment is not included in the Annual Service price.

Perform a wheel alignment adjustment.

FYI, I had the transmission fluid (front and rear) drained and replaced at the 2 year service visit although it was not required. I have done this for all of my vehicles to dump any metal that is collected during the break in period. The fluid used is Dexron (GM Auto trans fluid).

Once changed I will now leave it for the life of the vehicle. That's my only additional service requirement and Tesla did a good job. Oh yes, they also updated the SW in my CHAdeMo adapter which I requested.

FYI, I had the transmission fluid (front and rear) drained and replaced at the 2 year service visit although it was not required. I have done this for all of my vehicles to dump any metal that is collected during the break in period. The fluid used is Dexron (GM Auto trans fluid).

Once changed I will now leave it for the life of the vehicle. That's my only additional service requirement and Tesla did a good job. Oh yes, they also updated the SW in my CHAdeMo adapter which I requested.
This is why the transmissions are serviced at the first annual service, now.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas

My local Tesla service center manager is a good guy who is a straight shooter, and he said this was the biggest reason to get the 1st service done.

I was always skeptical about 'lifetime' or 'long life' fluids in automobiles so even though the service schedule for our 85D did not have the first year transmission fluid change, I did it anyway at year two. The only thing that I missed was to collect a sample for lab analysis which I did for engine oil in all of our ICE cars. Metal content (wear) would have been a good measurement to have.

Coolant and brake fluid will degrade with time and the service plan to renew these is acceptable. They are at least not considered 'lifetime'.

I was always skeptical about 'lifetime' or 'long life' fluids in automobiles so even though the service schedule for our 85D did not have the first year transmission fluid change, I did it anyway at year two. The only thing that I missed was to collect a sample for lab analysis which I did for engine oil in all of our ICE cars. Metal content (wear) would have been a good measurement to have.

Coolant and brake fluid will degrade with time and the service plan to renew these is acceptable. They are at least not considered 'lifetime'.
A fully synthetic coolant should be able to last a very long time in a low temperature environment like a Tesla.