Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What price will Tesla charge for a straight upgrade to the ~400 mile Roadster pack?

What price will Tesla charge for a straight upgrade to the ~400 mile Roadster pack?

• It will be free to all!

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $5,000 with trade-in of old pack in good condition (i.e., normal wear & tear)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • $10,000 with trade-in of old pack in good condition

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • $20,000 with trade-in of old pack in good condition

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • $30,000 with trade-in of old pack in good condition

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • $40,000 or so, kinda regardless of trade-in

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Nothing, because there will be no upgrade...

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason that Tesla may error on the side of affordability is to prove to the Model S and Model X people that batteries ARE replaceable and will not cost more than the purchase of a new car. The battery, life and cost are two of the most cited concerns against owning an EV. If the pack were to come out at $30,000 many argue, correctly so that $30,000 buys a LOT of gasoline. Enough to drive 200,000 miles here.

Exactly my thought. And with Nissan selling $5,500 for replaceable packs (installed) on the Leaf, that's some serious pressure. Makes EVs very attractive at that price point and still very attractive over an ICE car. The Leaf sounds like a very attractive surf vehicle for me, especially at that battery pack price point :)

Exactly my thought. And with Nissan selling $5,500 for replaceable packs (installed) on the Leaf, that's some serious pressure. Makes EVs very attractive at that price point and still very attractive over an ICE car. The Leaf sounds like a very attractive surf vehicle for me, especially at that battery pack price point :)

I absolutely agree with this logic.

I am one of those who would like to keep this car "forever" so if they can prove to me they will support it I will then buy a Tesla S 85. It works both ways.

It proves to new and old owners that there is long-term factory support.

Best,

T

(As far as a "surf vehicle" I have a '81 Landcruiser Diesel RHD that I'm slowly converting to a "Woody". It runs biodiesel when I have time to brew it.

I'm no tree-hugger but I gotta say that there is a certain joy to driving a car that doesn't physically stink. Between the Tesla and the biodiesel I'm becoming more sensitive to foul car odors, much the same way as an ex-smoker hates the smell of cigarettes. )

I'm in that boat. Definitely want to keep it going as long as practical, and hope the support will be there for it.

At 57 responses, I think we're nearing 'last call' on this one. Between the $10k zone and $20k zone, it is dead even.
i would hope it will not be a static price. As the battery costs decrease, I would hope that the price of the pack would decrease. My car is 4 years old and on regular charge goes to 190. I see no reason now to upgrade and would hold out for either current battery degrading or lower price

We've had a lot of recent posts on the proposed ~400 mile battery pack upgrade, so just bumping this one up if anyone wants to add to the voting or discussion/speculation on expected pricing here.

Cheers,

-P5

Some of my thoughts on pricing from the other thread. I voted for $20K.
I'm expecting the pack to be less than a 400 mile pack since Elon said "probably around" 400 miles, or something like that. Tesla's cell level cost is supposed to be around $180/kWh. 6,831 cells x 3.2ah x 3.7V = 81kWh pack = $14,580 cell cost. I would think Tesla should be able to offer the completed pack for under $20K and still make a small profit. I'm assuming they use existing Roadster enclosures. Obviously all numbers are best guesses.

THE question for me will be: Will they offer a 8y warranty on the new pack? That would be a big plus, especially when it's not a keeper and now out of warranty or soon to be. Anyhow, it would justify a much higher price tag.

THE question for me will be: Will they offer a 8y warranty on the new pack? That would be a big plus, especially when it's not a keeper and now out of warranty or soon to be. Anyhow, it would justify a much higher price tag.

I'd like to see 8 yr as well - time will tell.

We did have a poll thread on the warranty for pack upgrade. Will bump it up if anyone wants to add anything ahead of Tesla's progress update, which may or may not include warranty info (depending on how far they've gotten on the project).

I would be astonished if Supercharger access is offered, considering that Elon emphatically stated it is not possible.

I believe he said that the original battery could not be quick charged or supercharged. I imagine an updated battery pack could certainly take a supercharge, although I realize there are numerous other technical challenges.

I'm not expecting it, but I am hopeful. I am looking forward to the update and learning more.

I believe he said that the original battery could not be quick charged or supercharged. I imagine an updated battery pack could certainly take a supercharge, although I realize there are numerous other technical challenges.

I'm not expecting it, but I am hopeful. I am looking forward to the update and learning more.
Of course nothing is really impossible if you put in enough effort (and you are willing to pay enough money for it), but if they added supercharger abilities it'll be a lot more complex than just a simple cell swap and perhaps a firmware update. Even the cell swap would need them to pull engineering resources from other projects and depending on how much of the Roadster pack manufacturing they still have around, the overhead costs might be expensive regardless.