Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what PSI do you inflate your tires to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recommends MY tire PSI to be between 40 and 45, 42 recommended. I suppose lower means shorter range, softer ride and more tire wear on edge, higher means longer range, harder ride, and more tire wear on center. What PSI do you have yours set cold?

Reactions: Skavatar
I don't have any data indicating that any digression from the prescribed pressure is advantageous, particularly in terms of safety. So I try to keep the standard pressure and adjust a few times when the seasons change, at least two or three times between summer and winter.

An exception is when I drive shorter distances or relatively slowly in winter. I allow a slightly lower pressure on cold days, because I'm too lazy to adjust the pressure all the time. There are also good reasons to believe that a moderately lower pressure does no harm at low temperatures and particularly not on wet roads, even less on snowy roads.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes the label on car and Tesla site shows 42. I got the 40 - 45 from multiple non Tesla sites, but I am not sure where they got that info from. Here are just a few.

quote > The recommended tire pressure of Tesla model y is between 40-45 PSI

Tesla recommends MY tire PSI to be between 40 and 45, 42 recommended. I suppose lower means shorter range, softer ride and more tire wear on edge, higher means longer range, harder ride, and more tire wear on center. What PSI do you have yours set cold?
Welcome to TMC! Loads of useful information, most of it already in the database.

If you want a more detailed answer to your question, do an advanced search. There are a zillion threads on this topic already...nope, a zillion and one (yours!)

44 PSI (always measured when the tires are cold) is my preferred tire pressure in my LRMY. The actual tire pressure varies with temperature from 41 to 47 PSI. I am lazy, set the tire pressure 2X per year (fall and spring/summer.) 51 is the maximum cold tire pressure; you could store the Tesla Model Y for a prolonged period with tire pressure set to 51 PSI to account for slow loss of pressure and help prevent flat spots.

The recommended is 42. If you go much higher then less tread is coming into contact with the road. That can be a serious safety issue. 50 psi is not a good idea.

I do 44 because I find that decreases rolling resistance slightly while not compromising braking, handling, or traction much at all.

I know running at 39 will decrease lifespan but I simply can’t do 42/43 as it starts to feel way too stiff for those slight road repair lines or even smaller bumps. Hats off to those of you who can run 44 and still enjoy the ride!