Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what PSI do you inflate your tires to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 LR RWD door jamb specifies 45psi cold as early cars did, and I kept it at that pressure for the first 3 years or so. Then I saw a thread saying the door jamb changed to 42psi with the same wheels/tires I have so I tried it. Much better driving comfort with the 3’s harsh ride, immediately noticeable, and I’ve kept pressures at 42psi since. I typically check and adjust tire pressures on our vehicles about monthly…just a long-time habit.

2012 Nissan LEAF: door jamb = 36psi, I run 40psi.
2018 Tesla Model 3: door jamb = 45psi, I run 42psi.
2023 Hyundai Ioniq5: door jamb = 34psi, I run 36psi.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I am still evaluating by letting the tires naturally go down. Right now they are around 38 PSI, and I am liking that way more than 42. Tesla recommends the highest pressure of any car I know about, and it makes for a jarring ride. When I was younger, I used to run my cars at 40 - 42 PSI for the handling and performance. But that got old and I went back to the mid-30s for the improved comfort. (Most of my former cars had recommended pressures under 35, so I was still running higher than recommended.)

Reactions: Skavatar
I am still evaluating by letting the tires naturally go down. Right now they are around 38 PSI, and I am liking that way more than 42. Tesla recommends the highest pressure of any car I know about, and it makes for a jarring ride.
Thats because of the weight of a Tesla more than anything else you previously had unless you owned a Sherman tank. :p The heavier the car the more the sidewalls will bulge therefor more PSI is required. I had 20" inductions on the Y which were swapped for 18" wheels and tires. Big ride quality difference with correct PSI in the tires. When I ordered the S I did not even consider getting bigger wheels, went with the no additional cost 19" variety.

I inflate my replacement tires to the same specs as recommended for my 2022 Model Y long distance. 42 psi… and FYI, I only got 18,500 miles out of my OEM supplied tires. I rotated them 2x during that ownership period. Very sad about the poor performance of the OEM tires.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I inflate my replacement tires to the same specs as recommended for my 2022 Model Y long distance. 42 psi… and FYI, I only got 18,500 miles out of my OEM supplied tires. I rotated them 2x during that ownership period. Very sad about the poor performance of the OEM tires.

I've kept our between 38-42 since we picked it up. Right now, we have 33,000 miles on the OEM Continentals and still have decent tread left. Go figure.

Some might accuse me of driving like a grandpa. Wait ... I am one.

Last edited:
Note that Tesla specifies Extra Load (XL) tires for Model Y; XL tires only meet their maximum load rating when inflated to 41 or 42 PSI (European and US specs.) You can inflate to higher than 42 PSI but if you inflate to less than the recommended tire pressure the Tesla Model Y should not be carrying a full load of passengers and cargo or towing a trailer.

Note that Tesla specifies Extra Load (XL) tires for Model Y; XL tires only meet their maximum load rating when inflated to 41 or 42 PSI (European and US specs.) You can inflate to higher than 42 PSI but if you inflate to less than the recommended tire pressure the Tesla Model Y should not be carrying a full load of passengers and cargo or towing a trailer.
But what about heavier EVs with similar XL tires and lower recommended pressures? That would seem to counter this point of view. For example, isn’t the Ioniq 5 33 PSI? Are they doing it wrong?

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and TomB985
But what about heavier EVs with similar XL tires and lower recommended pressures? That would seem to counter this point of view. For example, isn’t the Ioniq 5 33 PSI? Are they doing it wrong?
My 2023 Ioniq5 Limited AWD door jamb sticker states 34psi for its 20” 255/45R20 105V, Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires. These OEM tires have a max pressure of 50psi molded on the sidewall. I run 36psi on all four corners. Mine is the AWD version; those lucky enough to have been able to get a Limited RWD and all other trim levels come with 19” tires and I don’t know what door jamb states for pressure on those vehicles.

Same car 22MY LR, 19K miles. Have rotated twice as well. My tires are still fine with plenty of life left.

If your statements are real, there is something else going on for sure.

Door jamb tire information label on both the Y and S say 42 PSI. Not sure where the 40-45 comes from. Here is a link.
My app is saying 49psi
0C6DE2B3-869C-4F6A-AA8B-812FB544E14B.png

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting thread. I was just looking at pressure after swapping my summer tires on. I ran 35 PSI on my Model 3 and enjoyed the improved ride, and I’ll probably be doing the same to my Y.

Thats because of the weight of a Tesla more than anything else you previously had unless you owned a Sherman tank. :p

No, that’s just not true. It’s a common misperception because some EVs are much heavier than their ICE counterparts. My Model Y weighs 100 lbs less than a Ford Edge ST. It’s also 300 lbs lighter than my old EV6 was, and the Y is a bigger car.
See TRA P-Metric Load and Inflation Table (starts on page 13):

Look at the tires with an XL rating and load index of 101, 103 and 104 such as the 19", 20" and 21" tires for the Tesla Model Y (Although this table is for Toyo tires, in all cases the maximum load index rating (in pounds) is found at the far end of the table, i.e. 41 or 42 PSI inflation.

https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

Thank you! I’ve been looking for a more recent copy of this document. The one I have was snagged from another forum about ten years ago.

Mine is at 37 and I am loving it. If I am going long distance, will probably bump it to 40. Significant difference in comfort from 42.

See Musk's tweet from 2018:

Ride comfort & aero/road noise already better than CR car, which was early production. Wish we could make the car perfect from day 1, but there’s always room for improvement. Highly recommend dropping tire pressure 10% below max to ~39 psi for comfort. Only affects range by ~2%.

Reactions: Skavatar