Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What purpose does the cavity behind the front "T" serve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I had a visitor today, he told me that the purpose of this cavity is to get downforce and get the air into a charging unit.
Get energy to give better milage at Autobahn speeds?
This information he got from Jaguar, he is on a list to get a full electric Jaguar.
This vehicle will be rady on 2/3 years, and it sounded like they are working with Tesla.

I had a visitor today, he told me that the purpose of this cavity is to get downforce and get the air into a charging unit.
Get energy to give better milage at Autobahn speeds?
This information he got from Jaguar
I found your post confusing. The purpose of the cavity is to direct air "into a charging unit"? I don't know what that means.
And that information came from Jaguar? Why would another car company be considered a reliable source of information about the Model X?

The purpose of the cavity is to direct air "into a charging unit"? I don't know what that means.

Obviously, Tesla finally heeded the advice of the wizards on their forum who frequently advocate for adding a wind turbine somewhere on the car so it can generate power while you drive.

In reality: maybe there is an air intake or outlet there which somehow aids in cooling during charging or supercharging? The cavity is perhaps part of a ducted path to draw air over a radiator of sorts that is specifically beneficial during charging?

I do not have anymore.
This is considered a romour and we were diskussing cars, jaguar and then Tesla.
My modelS (waiting car) do not have air suspention and he asked if it still could charge while driving?
He told me this as is was common knowlege, Tesla will use energy from air and bumpers to charge the battery while driving.
I guess I looked like a question mark?

Guess it is just the new car then, jaguar is looking at the same thing on their EV he told me.
He knew one of the developers in the jaguar team that is making their EV.
He would get a realy early pre production to do testing in Norway and snow.

Wooho! Free energy.

So cooling and downward force (spoiler function) it is.

Not free energy, recycling some of the used energy.
I never belive this will be large enouch to be worth putting much money in.
Autobahn when driving at 150-200km/h I guess you could measure it, but the car use 50 000 - 80 000W so a reward on 1000 or 2000W is a piss in the ocean.

Not free energy, recycling some of the used energy.
I never belive this will be large enouch to be worth putting much money in.
Autobahn when driving at 150-200km/h I guess you could measure it, but the car use 50 000 - 80 000W so a reward on 1000 or 2000W is a piss in the ocean.

In fact there couldn't be a single watt generated from airflow that wouldn't have to be spent in the motors simultaneously.

Except while going downhill.

... in which case I'm guessing regenerative braking is far more efficient than some type of air turbine or whatever one could fit in there :)

The aerodynamics are such that all the rocks and stones go in there and don't chip the paint.

I like this idea. A stone chip eating monster.

Last edited:
... in which case I'm guessing regenerative braking is far more efficient than some type of air turbine or whatever one could fit in there :)

You'd be right. About 90% efficiency for regen braking, compared to probably 15%-20% for a very small size air turbine including losses in the inlet etc.

Surelz to do wth aero or routing air to somewhere that it's needed.

I think that is the gun port location when in 007 mode.
Tesla Model X in -007-Mode.jpg