Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What radar/lidar detectors/jammer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think laser jammers are generally legal in most states except for Virginia. Radar jammers definitely illegal. I have laser jammers in all of my cars (cops here mostly use lasers). Install was one of easiest of all the cars I have owned- no engine. Below is a quote I pulled from a radar/laser forum, hope it helps.

CALIFORNIA

It is goverened under the Vehicle Equipment Subdivision. Meaning if you are caught with them, it is a fix-it ticket infraction ($25 to fix and then you need a sign-off)
However, under subdivison d of this vehicle code, if you have 4+ "devices" then it is a misdemeaner (jail time 1 day-1 year) . Not sure if devices refer to whole ALP system or if devices refer to the heads.

This is just my understanding. I am not a lawyer nor am I saying this is the actual law. VEH2810 below. Interpret it for yourself
upload_2021-2-8_9-21-25.gif

VEH § 28150

(a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

I put mine to the left of the rear view mirror. Ran the wire to the drivers door. Stuffed wire into the molding where the roof and front windshield meet, then in the door molding down to the lower part of the dash. Accross to bottom of the dash to the council, and then along the council to the 12 volt plug in the counsel. Used tape under the dash and stuffed wiring under molding of the counsel. Wire shows in at the driver's door, both side of the lower dash, and where is goes into the counsel. The lack of a fuse box and the closed nature of the trim don't allow to many options.

Attachments

• 20210210_090438.jpg
    20210210_090438.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 198
I already have my uniden R7 installed in my 2021 MY. I put it up to the right of the rearview mirror as high as it can go. I tapped power from the back of the cigarette lighter. Just ran the wire behind all the panels so it is not seen. Also added another DVR in that same location. I do have the TMG America laser jammers. I took them off my MS85 a month ago. Just waiting on replacement brackets for the actual jammers. I forgot to remove them before taking the S to Carmax. I could care less if laser jammers are illegal or not. Just run them in the mode that upon detection of laser they jam for about 4 seconds and then shutdown. This gives the cop a chance to aquire your speed but only after you have taken evasive action to adjust your speed. Some laser guns detect jamming so don't buy a cheap jammer.... The better ones do not usually trigger a jam indicator. Al Priority USA is THE best jammer out there BUT you pay a lot more. TMG is second best. I've owned Laser Interceptor and Blinder brands too in the past.

Reactions: play150 and acacia