Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What range are you getting for your P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my 2014 P85 August of 2017 with 65K a full charge was 256miles. 25months later and 90K on the clock a full charge was 247miles last month last I tried. At one point I was doing very shallow discharge and 80-90% limit and 100% had fallen to 242miles, letting it run way down and filling back up a few times allowed BMS to re calibrate.

I think a software update is responsible for a chunk of the degradation we have seen in the last couple years.

When I bought my 2014 P85 August of 2017 with 65K a full charge was 256miles. 25months later and 90K on the clock a full charge was 247miles last month last I tried. At one point I was doing very shallow discharge and 80-90% limit and 100% had fallen to 242miles, letting it run way down and filling back up a few times allowed BMS to re calibrate.

I think a software update is responsible for a chunk of the degradation we have seen in the last couple years.

I agree with the software comment. Bought my 2014p85+ with 36k miles, and charged to 233 @ 90%. 30k miles later and I get 219 @ 90%, but range planning is much more accurate on the navigation app so I dont really mind. I aways arrive within 1 or 2% from the original estimate compared to before (8-10% worse)

In the 2019.16.x updates, certain 85 packs had the upper cell voltage capped to 4.07V compared to the original 4.2V. If you are affected, you will see around a 25 mile (or 10-12%) drop in range. 100% range before the update was typically 256 miles, and 233 after the update.

In addition many 85 owners are complaining about much slower Supercharger speeds. Charges typically require up to 50% more time to achieve the same charge as before. It is also difficult to charge beyond 90% on the Superchargers because of the extra time required. Some owners have also reported that it is impossible to charge above (the new reduced) 98% SOC.

There is lots of speculation about what is going on, why Tesla introduced the software cap, and whether such a cap is in breach of consumer rights. Tesla are saying very little unfortunately. No one is clear if the changes are in response to safety or fire risk, and whether the software cap even improves safety.

Affected owners are awaiting more information which should be forthcoming from the class action against Tesla.

If you have a spare couple of hours, the 5000+ post thread has nuggets of information.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SSedan
I am a happy Tesla owner but one critical detail willfully ignored in fire discussion as in that article is that the average car in the USA is nearly 12yo.
So when your average is on old cars you can't really directly compare it to Teslas where with the 3 volume I bet the fleet averages under 3yo.
Who is to say it isn't the 20yo ICE in disrepair skewing the numbers?