TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What range works best for Montreal - Toronto?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kzod, Aug 3, 2017.

1. kzod

kzod Member

For those of you that do the drive, what model are you using and which chargers (how long) do you need to use? With so much time before I can get the Model 3, I might as well figure out which version will work best for me. I'm thinking the standard (maybe 360 km with AWD) may be good for one stop in Kingston. But if I'm driving a little fast or even just keeping with the flow of traffic @ 120 km/h, and have AC or heat on, not sure.

2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Supercharger density is already excellent along this corridor and should continue to improve. Accordingly, I wouldn't use this particular journey as the benchmark. But if this is your benchmark, you should be happy with the smaller range version without any issue.

3. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

In the Winter you will need to charge at Port Hope and possibly Cornwall too!

4. wayner

wayner Active Member

You should have more range on the eastbound leg as well as that is when you generally have the wind at your back.

5. kzod

kzod Member

Do you mean all three stops? I assumed you could reach Kingston from either direction and possibly need an extra charge to top up as you get closer to the destination. IF it's just the two stops that's feasible. I'll probably get the larger battery in either case just as extra insurance for when the car gets a little older. But, it's good to understand what you are comparing. And how often the extra range will come into play.

6. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

The quickest way through a given route is to stop often enough that you don't suffer from charging taper too much. So shorter, more frequent stops are preferable over a smaller number of much longer stops. A tool like EV Trip Planner will help you optimize this, and the car's navigation does this too.

• Like x 2
  7. wayner

wayner Active Member

That being said you should never need more than two stops to go from Montreal to Toronto - unless the weather is totally horrible and you have to keep the defrosters blowing at 100% heat the entire time to keep your windshield free of snow and ice.

8. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

If you do a 100 percent charge in Port Hope (formerly Hope of Good charge) as it had charging issues recently, you might be able to get to Cornwall although in winter, you might have to push the car for the last few km. LOL!
    I would suggest in summer, a full charge at home and you should be able to get to Kingston, have dinner and then you should have just enough to get to Montreal for a destination charge, the Holiday Inn Express in Vaudreuil which just opened recently, has 5 EV chargers out front.
    In Winter though, I would just charge up to 90% at home, stop at Hope of Good Charge while having a timmy's coffee, continue to Kingston for dinner or lunch, then continue to Cornwall for another Timmy's, be careful crossing the road though, then do a destination charge in Montreal or one of the 2 Supercharger locations if there's time.

• Funny x 1
  9. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I thought it was "Hope of Good Port"?

• Funny x 1
  10. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Yes, you're right, "Hope of Good Port"!
    Too bad there wasn't an LCBO nearby. You could pick up some good "Port"!

• Funny x 1