Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What range would be possible for Model S with latest Model 3 battery technology?

What range would be possible for Model S with latest Model 3 battery technology?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
The real UN
And would it affect performance?

Looking at the specs the MS dimensions are 196"x86.2" while M3 dimensions are 184.8" x 82.2".

This makes the MS roughly 11,2% larger than the M3, which would indicate a possible 89kwh battery for MS and MX.

This is a misconception. Tesla has continuously been clear about this: M3 is not an "advanced MS"; it's a lower end vehicle. The battery energy density on M3 is lower than that on MS, according to the EPA filings (150 vs. 170 kWh/kg for the pack as a whole). New batteries are regularly released for the MS and MX, and these are all "the latest technology".

Different vehicles. Different needs (price, power, longevity, volume, mass). Different cells.

Also, I don't even understand what your "range" options are supposed to mean. If those are miles, they're terrible ranges, and if they're kilometers they're even worse.

While the Model 3 may not be an "advanced Model S", it is more advanced than Model S in several areas. This is simply a fact of life given that the Model S was designed over 6 years ago. It's an aging platform. Model 3 has half the wiring of Model S. It has an interior camera. It has a more advanced interior door opening/closing mechanism. It has updated headlights that are probably better than Model S, whose LED headlights couldn't be much worse. It's now coming out that Model 3 has Autopilot hardware 2.5 with added redundancy that Model S/X hardware lacks. Model 3 uses a more efficient, permanent magnet motor compared to Model S/X induced magnet motor (less efficient but better performance). Model 3 has vertically adjustable seat belts, door pockets and lighted vanity mirrors - things the Model S still lacks after five years in production. Model 3 has a crazy advanced ventilation system where you aim the air vents using the touch screen - no physical interaction with the vents at all. That's light years ahead of Model S/X.

Yes, the Model 3 is more advanced than the Model S/X in many ways.

Also, I don't even understand what your "range" options are supposed to mean. If those are miles, they're terrible ranges, and if they're kilometers they're even worse.
Don't act incensed and play dumb, it's obvious he is referring to kWh. I'm of the opinion that we will see a radically redesigned Model S by the end of the year with a 120 kWh battery on the top end.

Don't act incensed and play dumb, it's obvious he is referring to kWh. I'm of the opinion that we will see a radically redesigned Model S by the end of the year with a 120 kWh battery on the top end.
Ah. No, it wasn't obvious to me either, since the poll question specifically asked about range. The lack of votes is also telling.