Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What real range are you getting on a full charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this topic has been covered to death but I want to know what’s everyone’s REAL range is on a full charge. Tesla advertises 291 for the MYP and I never seen it more than 280 displayed when it was new. Now it’s 270. I can realistically only get 200 on a full charge before I’m at 10% battery. That’s averaging 300wh/mi on autopilot mostly.

I know temperature, driving habits AC etc factor into range but Does Tesla’s advertised range reflect on perfect 10/10 condition which let’s be real, never happens. I know Tesla can get a little sneaky with their specs

315mi estimate 1200mi on the odo. PUP with 20in wheels. It’s just An estimate. I average 364Wh/mi over my last 1000mi. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Driving 80mph, AC blasting I only get 200mi range if that.
FC36E080-8F13-4E5B-A01A-BF09965CD581.jpeg

that’s pretty impressive. Do you drive on sport or chill? Also is it mainly city or freeway?

Sport. I’ve never even tried chill mode. I have a 80 mile commute to work that is mostly 2 lane back road driving (55-65 mph). I actually have to cross a mountain which seems to help honestly. The coasting down the mountain seems to offset the energy drain going up the mountain. I’ve had multiple trips to work where I was under 240 wh/mi for the 80 miles....

Last edited:
This is common for ICE vehicles as well, we just don't see a range option on most cars but the ones that do have them, won't always be accurate. Driving habits are definitely the biggest decline in range for ICE vehicles, where using the heater or air conditioning doesn't really affect it as much as an EV. Also things like having a window open will cause more drag, or having lots of passengers or heavy things in the vehicle will also affect range.

The listed range on Tesla vehicles are with good road conditions, probably one person (driver), windows closed, AC/Heater off, and with minimal wind resistance. Change any one of these factors to be less than optimal and you will see a reduction in range. Change all of these to be less than optimal and you could probably lose 50% of your range, like what is seen in Canadian winters where there is usually wind, terrible road conditions, and the heater on all the time.

Does a Tesla adjust range while you are driving? I don't have my first Tesla yet, which will be the cybertruck, but it would be very nice if the range would recalibrate when you start your trip to adjust for how much more energy is being used than it would be in optimal conditions.

Reactions: MrTemple
80mph? 86mph?

ICE mileage TANKS at those speeds. Physics doesn't discriminate.

The physics of air resistance means double the speed equals quadruple the energy to maintain speed. Going where you want takes half as long though, so it's a 1:1 relationship while driving point to point. Meaning doubling the speed doubles the total energy to push through the air to your destination.

I've taken my Y (non-perf) to and from our vacation home which is 220 miles away, a little over half the trip being freeway where I drive 80-85 mph and the rest is 2 lane highway (60-65 mph), have gone back and forth four times this summer and always made it on a full charge (starting at 99 or 100%, getting to destination around 12% on average). I thought I'd have to baby the acceleration and watch my speed carefully on the freeway but this isn't the case. I tend to drive quite fast (occasional stretches over 90mph) and spirited during the drive, knowing I have 3 superchargers along the way if needed at places I frequently stop anyway. I expect as the car ages and battery degrades or if I do this trip in the winter this may change or I'll have to stop to charge. Coming back yesterday (Labor day holiday) there was heavy traffic, lots of traffic jams with over 1 extra hour due to stop and go, so average speed was reduced and made it home with 24% battery remaining (left with 99%), extrapolating that out gives nearly 300 mile range. If I had an ICE vehicle I likely would have gotten worse mileage instead of better, due to all the idling. Overall I'm quite pleased with the range, it's better than I expected it would be.

Last edited:
Realistically your not going to get over 200 miles, and even less if you dont drain your battery below 10-20% unless in emergency situation.

I thought that "300" mile range would be good enough but after 2 road trips, and extended stays to places without charging Tesla still has a way to go before EVs have enough range to equal ICE cars in terms of practicality.

They need a battery that has 300 miles of real world range between 20-80% (ie 300 miles of range at 60% capacity, which is a 500 mile range battery at full capacity, and probably closer to 600 miles EPA). So double where we are right now.

Hopefully they will be there when its time to trade in my current Y in 4-5 years.