TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What retention device Model S has? Trying to order weathertech mats.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bakchod87, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bakchod87

bakchod87 Member

When I try to order from weathertech's website, this pops up. Anyone knows what retention device Model S has? I have the refreshed 2017 build.
    WhatsApp Image 2017-03-04 at 11.35.59 AM.jpeg

2. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

Do you have your car to go pull the carpet and check? Weathertechs are model specific so I'm assuming that both of those have been used at any given time. Knowing Tesla, they could have switched back and forth at seemingly random times. I'd check your own car to be sure.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

My 2017 has the non removable device.

• Informative x 1
  4. Robwoodruff

Robwoodruff Member

I bought the, 3D MAXpider L1TL00001509 Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Tesla Model S - Kagu Rubber (Black), from Amazon for my new 2017 Model S. I put them right over my carpet mats. They look much better than the Weathertech floor liners that I bought for my 2015 Model S. Amazon says they will not fit a 2017 Model S, but they fit perfectly.
    I also put the, Auto-lift Kit for the Tesla Model S Parcel Shelf, which is a little wire that raises the Parcel shelf when the back hatch opens making it easier to put stuff in the trunk.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

I have a Sep 16 build. The weather tech mats do not use the Velcro in the car but instead has an installable plastic insert with teeth that grip into the carpet. Go to weathertech's website and watch a video. I like the 3D maxpider also but have been unable to find them for 2016 models s

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

FWIW, I use my WeatherTech mats (actually the Tesla-branded ones) with no retention device at all. The way they are moulded to fit into the floor pan, I find them to stay put by themselves quite nicely. I am on my 5th winter with them in my Model S

• Informative x 1
  7. dangerbear

dangerbear Member

I also got these for my 2017 Model S. They fit perfectly and look really nice in my opinion.

Interesting that you put them over the carpet mats. I took the factory mats out before I installed them. I guess it works either way.