TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What rim protectors are you using?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ev-now, Feb 1, 2017.

1. ev-now

ev-now Member

Interested in current info here, did read the threads.

Evannex? Rimblades/Savers? Alloygators? Others?

If you are unhappy with a choice you've made I'd be really interested to hear too.

Looking to protect 19" original stock alloys and 21" Grey Turbines.

2. Yarder

Yarder Member

I got mine from eBay. Generic plastic self stick on. I had to trim them myself. Had to let the adhesive set for 24 hours. I didn't drive for three days. I've been up to 115 mph (on an approved racetrack of course), and they're still there. Cost: $10, no tax and free shipping. If anything goes wrong or I hear a crunching sound, I'll simply get another set. And they come in a variety of different colors!

Attached Files:

3. ev-now

ev-now Member

With that approach, I am guessing the calipers were self painted too? Looks great - very green ;)

4. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Decent parking skills from ipayattention.com

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. Haxster

Haxster Member

#5 Haxster, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Curb feelers:

Curb feelers.jpg

Bring back the good old days. I'm actually tempted..

And maybe one of these too:

static.jpg

If you're too young to remember, it's an anti-static strap to keep you from getting zapped with a static electricity shock when touching an outside door handle...sometimes, maybe.

6. ev-now

ev-now Member

Funny man, except the only thing to curb the tires so far is Autopark ... perhaps you can refer Tesla to your site ;)
    Seriously my wife saved the rims, there's a significant scuff on the tire. Seems like cheap insurance against anyone (or thing) not paying attention.

• Like x 1
  7. ev-now

ev-now Member

Old enough to remember them - and not too old to have forgotten yet ;)

8. calisnow

calisnow Banned

@ev-now - the problem with curb protectors is that they are ugly. So you make your choice - have an ugly scratched rim needing refinishing at some point, or have an ugly rim 100 percent of the time while simultaneously advertising for all to see that you have no style. Add a pocket protector and a nice dual belt/suspender combo and fanny pack while you're at it.

• Like x 1
  9. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Now, if there is some invisible / clear rim protector that truly is not detectable to the eye then sign me up.

10. Haxster

Haxster Member

Do a google search. They come in clear, silver, grey, black, and many other colors and two-color combinations from various suppliers. Some stick on (most not so well). Others are wedged on (can be difficult to install).

Personally, I rely on the four-prong rainbow-colored glow-in-the-dark curb feelers to save my rims.

• Like x 1
  11. Haxster

Haxster Member

Here's some free IP for Tesla:

Add ultrasonic sensors near the wheels to look for curbs. Warn the driver (or auto-brake) when the wheels are about to get rashed. As a bonus, the warning sound could be the sound of metal scraping against concrete.

• Like x 1
  12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

After having experimented with most and trying to invent my own (a failure) I've given up on them, as none of them really work well.

13. ev-now

ev-now Member

Good to know. Not hearing many success right now ... Would like to use Autopark but totally do not trust it now.

14. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Silver rimsavers... They're almost invisible on my silver turbines

15. ev-now

ev-now Member

Cool - my winters are silver. Summer (21s) are more likely to need protection - and of course are grey ... I'll go investigate matching colors - obvious but I'd not thought of looking for a proper color-match (sometimes I wonder, I really do- my excuse is I use the brain cycles for more important stuff).

16. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy P100D Upgrade complete

Thats got my vote best way to not scratch is to pay attention, take your time and use your eyes and your mirrors!!

• Like x 1
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

This - is - the - correct - answer :cool:

18. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

A Dremmel tool with sand paper head really works well and fast to improve the appearance of curb rash. I just applied painters tape ( masking) around the affect area. With in minutes wala! This may cut through the paint, but on the silver it is not as noticeable. I bought a bottle of touch paint from service center but have not tried it yet because of cold weather.

YouTube has many videos on how to do this. Local repair shop quoted me $90. Simple repairs only 10-15 minutes, not worth $90 imo.

19. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

I've got the Evannex ones. They come in two parts and mount easily. My Grey wheels have a black/red trim. I also have a silver /silver set put on my SUV after I got them refinished. Works fine so far.

20. ev-now

ev-now Member

Yes, yes - I should be able to park my car - well actually I can. But:

A) I'm not the only driver
    B) Self/Autopark is not as clever as me or my wife (she has saved the car from itself)
    C) In CO (and anywhere else there's a decent amount of snow) there's a decent chance of finding a curb on a road you don't know or in a parking lot which has not been cleared.

So back to the thread, thanks to those who have provide answers both positive and negative regarding rim protection - much appreciated.