Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What rim protectors are you using?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in current info here, did read the threads.

Evannex? Rimblades/Savers? Alloygators? Others?

If you are unhappy with a choice you've made I'd be really interested to hear too.

Looking to protect 19" original stock alloys and 21" Grey Turbines.

I got mine from eBay. Generic plastic self stick on. I had to trim them myself. Had to let the adhesive set for 24 hours. I didn't drive for three days. I've been up to 115 mph (on an approved racetrack of course), and they're still there. Cost: $10, no tax and free shipping. If anything goes wrong or I hear a crunching sound, I'll simply get another set. And they come in a variety of different colors!

Attachments

• IMG_20170129_093959.jpg
    IMG_20170129_093959.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 329
I got mine from eBay. Generic plastic self stick on. I had to trim them myself. Had to let the adhesive set for 24 hours. I didn't drive for three days. I've been up to 115 mph (on an approved racetrack of course), and they're still there. Cost: $10, no tax and free shipping. If anything goes wrong or I hear a crunching sound, I'll simply get another set. And they come in a variety of different colors!
With that approach, I am guessing the calipers were self painted too? Looks great - very green ;)

Curb feelers:

Curb feelers.jpg

Bring back the good old days. I'm actually tempted..

And maybe one of these too:

static.jpg

If you're too young to remember, it's an anti-static strap to keep you from getting zapped with a static electricity shock when touching an outside door handle...sometimes, maybe.

Last edited:
@ev-now - the problem with curb protectors is that they are ugly. So you make your choice - have an ugly scratched rim needing refinishing at some point, or have an ugly rim 100 percent of the time while simultaneously advertising for all to see that you have no style. Add a pocket protector and a nice dual belt/suspender combo and fanny pack while you're at it.

Reactions: gabeincal
@ev-now - the problem with curb protectors is that they are ugly.

Now, if there is some invisible / clear rim protector that truly is not detectable to the eye then sign me up.

Do a google search. They come in clear, silver, grey, black, and many other colors and two-color combinations from various suppliers. Some stick on (most not so well). Others are wedged on (can be difficult to install).

Personally, I rely on the four-prong rainbow-colored glow-in-the-dark curb feelers to save my rims.

Reactions: calisnow
Silver rimsavers... They're almost invisible on my silver turbines
Cool - my winters are silver. Summer (21s) are more likely to need protection - and of course are grey ... I'll go investigate matching colors - obvious but I'd not thought of looking for a proper color-match (sometimes I wonder, I really do- my excuse is I use the brain cycles for more important stuff).

A Dremmel tool with sand paper head really works well and fast to improve the appearance of curb rash. I just applied painters tape ( masking) around the affect area. With in minutes wala! This may cut through the paint, but on the silver it is not as noticeable. I bought a bottle of touch paint from service center but have not tried it yet because of cold weather.

YouTube has many videos on how to do this. Local repair shop quoted me $90. Simple repairs only 10-15 minutes, not worth $90 imo.

Yes, yes - I should be able to park my car - well actually I can. But:

A) I'm not the only driver
B) Self/Autopark is not as clever as me or my wife (she has saved the car from itself)
C) In CO (and anywhere else there's a decent amount of snow) there's a decent chance of finding a curb on a road you don't know or in a parking lot which has not been cleared.

So back to the thread, thanks to those who have provide answers both positive and negative regarding rim protection - much appreciated.