TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What safety feature kicked in, car nudges itself out of the lane

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mattack4000, May 10, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

With autopilot and cruise control off, I was cruising on the highway at I think about 40-45mph in traffic. One of the motorcycle lane split next to me and had put his bike in front of the RF of my car. After a quick moment, the beep happened, dash flashed red and I felt the car turning the steering wheel to the left a little and pushed me away from the bike. Was that the forward collision avoidance system I was feeling?

Just totally curious

2. croman

croman Active Member

Side collision avoidance. There should've been three short beeps which override the audio system and car moves slightly.

3. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

It seems after the latest update motorcycles really draw some attention from the sensors. Still cold here so I can say I’m able say that with total confidence for lack opportunity’s to see it repeatedly.

AP1 here

4. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Interesting feature, I didn't realise it would actively steer to avoid a collision (especially with AP off). Which firmware is this? Mine has an update scheduled for tonight.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

side collision avoidance came in a 2017 update I believe.

6. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Funny thing is that I had the lane departure assistance off and it still works. Btw I deal with bikes daily, this is more like Russian roulette. You don’t really know when the car will decide if they want to avoid it or not

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Tesla's are pretty smart.

8. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Interesting. I haven't experienced it yet in my car but haven't had any close calls yet. Good to know it's there though.

9. cmaster

cmaster Member

Is this feature available for the Model S as well?

10. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Side collision warning/avoidance. I had it happen a few weeks ago; beeps, red flash and the car shifted slightly left. I looked in my mirror to see the truck that I'd just passed had drifted into my lane and was swerving back into his.

11. Kraez

Kraez New Member

I think the same thing happend to me back in February. I was driving on a small snow-packed local road going up to a ski resort here in Norway, and I had milk truck/trailer/rig in front of me. The truck slowed down on a straight stretch and signaled me to pass it.

The road was quite narrow and with the 5 feet high plowing edge on the left hand side perhaps is was a tight squeeze as I came up beside the truck. But all of a sudden, alarm and auto steer kicks in, and controls the car over the entire length of the truck making both left and right corrections, the whole thing lasted perhaps 3 seconds. I was really amazed.

This was on 2017.50 (I still am) and i didn't have Acc or AP activated as I started passing the truck.