Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What safety feature kicked in, car nudges itself out of the lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With autopilot and cruise control off, I was cruising on the highway at I think about 40-45mph in traffic. One of the motorcycle lane split next to me and had put his bike in front of the RF of my car. After a quick moment, the beep happened, dash flashed red and I felt the car turning the steering wheel to the left a little and pushed me away from the bike. Was that the forward collision avoidance system I was feeling?

Just totally curious

With autopilot and cruise control off, I was cruising on the highway at I think about 40-45mph in traffic. One of the motorcycle lane split next to me and had put his bike in front of the RF of my car. After a quick moment, the beep happened, dash flashed red and I felt the car turning the steering wheel to the left a little and pushed me away from the bike. Was that the forward collision avoidance system I was feeling?

Just totally curious
Side collision warning/avoidance. I had it happen a few weeks ago; beeps, red flash and the car shifted slightly left. I looked in my mirror to see the truck that I'd just passed had drifted into my lane and was swerving back into his.

I think the same thing happend to me back in February. I was driving on a small snow-packed local road going up to a ski resort here in Norway, and I had milk truck/trailer/rig in front of me. The truck slowed down on a straight stretch and signaled me to pass it.

The road was quite narrow and with the 5 feet high plowing edge on the left hand side perhaps is was a tight squeeze as I came up beside the truck. But all of a sudden, alarm and auto steer kicks in, and controls the car over the entire length of the truck making both left and right corrections, the whole thing lasted perhaps 3 seconds. I was really amazed.

This was on 2017.50 (I still am) and i didn't have Acc or AP activated as I started passing the truck.