Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What settings do you use for ABRP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I'm starting to get the hang of things and I took a look at some of the defaults that ABRP uses. I just wondered if peeps here had left those defaults, in place or had updated the values. For instance:

Reference Consumption defaults to 298 Wh/mi @ 65mph (= 3.35 mi/kWh) ... and which way do you prefer to view it?

Starting SoC defaults to 100%

Arrival SoC defaults to 10% ... I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet. Maybe 15% for me

Extra weight defaults to 0 ... does 1 pax really make a difference?

Wind and Temp seem to be available, but not used ... Does anyone set these values?

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I'm starting to get the hang of things and I took a look at some of the defaults that ABRP uses. I just wondered if peeps here had left those defaults, in place or had updated the values. For instance:

Reference Consumption defaults to 298 Wh/mi @ 65mph (= 3.35 mi/kWh) ... and which way do you prefer to view it?

Arrival SoC defaults to 10% ... I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet. Maybe 15% for me

Wind and Temp seem to be available, but not used ... Does anyone set these values?
1) My average is 266 wh/mi over 16K so I don't change it. If mine was higher than default I would, and I view wh/mi.
2) I set it to 90% - if I charge a bit higher that just gives me added margin.
3) This depends on charging availability where I plan to end up for the night or if I plan to drive around the local area before charging for the night so this depends on your trip. I generally don't like arriving with less than 20% though that's not always possible some places in the west where I generally take trips.
4 and 5) I leave at default. Weight, wind, and temp will can make considerable differences (mainly wind I've found but I don't drive in extreme cold) but I always check my wh/mi while driving so I'd adjust accordingly to any current conditions. Plus the in car nav will tell you to recharge sooner if needed so no worries.

Personally I find the in car nav meets most of my needs though I always check ABRP too.

Since I live in an area where there are not that many superchargers (but a few are under construction now), I need to properly plan. I cannot rely on the car changing charging stops. I do input the proper wind and temperature values (I live where it gets real cold). When I do "in advance" planning of a trip, I assume 90%SOC and I default to a slight front-facing wind to err on the pessimistic side, with a temperature that's normal for the season. When I'm close to leaving I'll let ABRP read the real starting SOC from the car and I do input the real wind (using the Windy app) and real temperature. I obviously configure my real speed. This is what gives an almost perfect estimate, way better than the ever optimistic car.
EDIT: I always leave an extra 50kg of weight in the settings, as a small buffer. We always carry a boatload of crap in the car, charging stuff etc...

I would prefer mi/kWh for display and comparison. Seems natural evolution from miles per gallon. Would love to see this as a display option. It’s the same calculation inverted. i.e. 250 wh/mi = 4.0 miles per kWh. Would be very little code change