TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What should AP do when max speed is exceeded?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by appleguru, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

What should AP do when the driver exceeds its max speed?

1. Alert driver and disable AP. Allow the driver to re-engage when speed drops below max

50.0%
  2. Alert driver and disable AP. Prevent driver from using AP for the rest of drive, regardless of speed

8.3%
  3. Stay engaged and keep steering while the user has their foot on the accelerator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Disable auto-steer, but leave TACC enabled

16.7%
  5. Other

25.0%
  1. appleguru

appleguru Member

AP2’s “punish the driver and shut off for the rest of the drive” when you exceed 90mph with AP on is one of my biggest current gripes with AP.

Posting a poll to gather the community’s opinions after that rather lively discussion in a few other threads...

• Like x 1
  2. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

I'd hedge and do this: "Alert driver and disable AP. Allow the driver to re-engage when speed drops below max. If max speed is exceeded again on the same trip, shut off for the rest of the drive."

• Like x 1
  3. futurem3owner

futurem3owner 2017 90D

That's a good idea. Much rather have it disabled completely after the second "violation" of exceeding the max speed since the last thing you'd want is somebody continuously turning on AP when it shuts off and then forget that AP is off at the exceeded speed limit. That's a disaster just waiting to happen.

• Helpful x 1
  4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

What do you mean by "rest of the drive"?

How does taking an exit, putting it in park and resuming it back considered "rest of the drive" ?

My drive might be 500 miles and then next exit might be two miles away.

5. skitown

Let me know if I've somehow misinterpreted how Tesla currently handles things when you ignore the nags or go above the max speed. I've never triggered the latter actually. My hedge idea was not attempting to debate or define "rest of the drive", was simply adding in a 'get out of jail free card' on the first strike; which seems reasonable to me. Slightly off topic, my biggest complaint is that I sometimes don't see or hear the nags in order to comply with them. Frankly, personally I'm fine with the "punishment" if I'm at least aware that I'm doing the crime.

6. appleguru

appleguru Member

“Rest of the drive” is tesla’s current definition: disabled until you put the car in Park.

7. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Correct me if im wrong, but anytime autosteer disables in my car a big loud alarm rings and a picture of two hands and a sterring wheel saying "take control immediately" pops up on my dash. If someone misses that queue then we have bigger problems.

• Like x 1
  8. skitown

Appreciate the "compliment". LOL. In my car if music is up at cruising levels, the "alarm" isn't loud by any definition of the word. Perhaps I have a setting jacked up. The white/light flash around the screen is pretty subtle to my eye. I've watched other people miss it driving my car. Then again, I definitely find myself looking down the road vs. the screen. Lastly, I'm probably not the most reliable narrator as I don't have a commute....