Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should be 80% SOC is only 68%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 310 mile LR RWD Model 3. When I charge to 80%, I should roughly see (310 x 0.8 ) 248 miles. But in reality I see 212 which equates closer to 68%, a pretty substantial difference. I live in Portland Oregon and charge indoors in my garage. Is this normal battery health?

IMG_2166.PNG
IMG_2167.PNG

What firmware version is on your Model 3? There are some issues in the BMS state of charge estimates if you charge to less than 90% most of the time causing the remaining range to be reported lower than it actually is. Newer firmware version might have improved it, but other people have found charging to 90% daily for a while brings the range estimate back up.

Reactions: tracksyde
What firmware version is on your Model 3? There are some issues in the BMS state of charge estimates if you charge to less than 90% most of the time causing the remaining range to be reported lower than it actually is. Newer firmware version might have improved it, but other people have found charging to 90% daily for a while brings the range estimate back up.

I am on 2018.42.4. I consistently charge to 70% every night. So you're suggesting to try charging to 90% for a few nights in a row?

I have a 310 mile LR RWD Model 3. When I charge to 80%, I should roughly see (310 x 0.8 ) 248 miles. But in reality I see 212 which equates closer to 68%, a pretty substantial difference. I live in Portland Oregon and charge indoors in my garage. Is this normal battery health?

View attachment 357627 View attachment 357628
212 seems low. The lowest amount I've seen for my car at 80% was 242. I charge it over night and I'm guessing there was some vampire drain.

I am on 2018.42.4. I consistently charge to 70% every night. So you're suggesting to try charging to 90% for a few nights in a row?

Exactly. That and the new firmware, 2018.44 I think, should bring your range estimate back up. But do let us know if that holds true for you or not.

You can see what one person went through here: LikeTesla on Twitter

Hi @elonmusk, could you please shed light on the best nightly battery SOC for longevity? You previously suggested <80% but service is telling us setting to 90% is the new recommendation as anything less throws off voltage/calculations. #Tesla #ModelS #ModelX #Model3pic.twitter.com/YfgjrcZt1F

DtIKSUNU8AAUqzH.jpg

3:45 PM - 28 Nov 2018

They too were charging to 70% daily. They eventually got Telsa service to "reset" the battery and the range estimate returned, but I have seen other people say that charging to 90% daily brought it back.

LikeTesla‏ @LikeTeslaKim Dec 1
Interesting indeed. So many 70% chargers reached out to us with identical issue to ours while anyone above or below has been okay for the most part.

• Helpful
Reactions: lupend88

I was told by tesla to run it down (past 10%), then back up (past 90%). I took it down to roughly 2% (about 5 miles remaining) and up to 100%. Since then, my reported range has been what I'd expect using similar calculations to yours. Sometimes off by a couple of miles, but nothing drastic like it was before - or like yours currently is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adrien and lupend88
How do you know where the 80% exact point is in the charge window? Yes, there are vertical lines, but trying to hit the 80% line exactly doesn't seem to be easy; I usually end up a little bit under or over the line. There is no digital display of exactly what you've set your charge limit to be.

Exactly. That and the new firmware, 2018.44 I think, should bring your range estimate back up. But do let us know if that holds true for you or not.

You can see what one person went through here: LikeTesla on Twitter

They too were charging to 70% daily. They eventually got Telsa service to "reset" the battery and the range estimate returned, but I have seen other people say that charging to 90% daily brought it back.

Interesting, thank you very much. I will try charging to 90% for a few nights before bugging my SC.

But regardless, it sounds like an issue with the range displaying, not necessarily my actual range, right?

How do you know where the 80% exact point is in the charge window? Yes, there are vertical lines, but trying to hit the 80% line exactly doesn't seem to be easy; I usually end up a little bit under or over the line. There is no digital display of exactly what you've set your charge limit to be.

True, but that's way to low for "pointer slop".

If you download an App called "Remote S" on the iOS App Store, the app tells you the exact percentage so there actually is :)

IMG_2216.jpg

But regardless, it sounds like an issue with the range displaying, not necessarily my actual range, right?

Maybe not... More from the same Tweeter:

LikeTesla‏ @LikeTeslaKim Nov 29
They claimed that our charging habits (70% nightly) was the cause. They then stated the car would only drive the stated miles as it’s calculated capacity was completely off (67 kWh).

LikeTesla‏ @LikeTeslaKim Nov 28
Yes but service states that a sub 90% nightly charge will once again throw off calibration and give you wrong estimates. They also said the car will shut down if it believes you have 0% for too long ...even if you’ve only consumed 60 kWh. They now recommend always charge to 90%.

I don't think they actually tested the range, but service told them that it would be a problem. So it sounds like don't daily charge to 70% until Tesla resolves the issue.

View attachment 357627 View attachment 357628
How long have you had your car? Is it possible you got an MR instead of an LR Model 3? The 80% charge range sounds right for an MR car.