Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should be in the charging cable kit?

I had the MS for a month. I have been using the home charging for my wife's M3. I did not open the charging cable kit that came with the MS until today. I see the cable, an adapter and a short cable with a 110 plug. I do not see how the charging cable is plugged into my NEMA outlet. Shouldn't that be included or I cannot use the cable?

I had the MS for a month. I have been using the home charging for my wife's M3. I did not open the charging cable kit that came with the MS until today. I see the cable, an adapter and a short cable with a 110 plug. I do not see how the charging cable is plugged into my NEMA outlet. Shouldn't that be included or I cannot use the cable?
That's extra, you need to buy from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Nope. You get the NEMA 5-15 and J1772 adapters.
Really? So I am waiting on my new Model S. This will be my third Model S. I previously had a 2013 P85 and a 2017 100D. Both vars came with the Mobile Connector and various adapters. Until I read this I naively assumed I'd be getting the same with my 2022 MS. When did this change and how do they expect you to charge the car at a decent rate for my 240 v outlet?

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Really? So I am waiting on my new Model S. This will be my third Model S. I previously had a 2013 P85 and a 2017 100D. Both vars came with the Mobile Connector and various adapters. Until I read this I naively assumed I'd be getting the same with my 2022 MS. When did this change and how do they expect you to charge the car at a decent rate for my 240 v outlet?
Not sure how long ago this changed, but it was prior to October 2020 when I got my car. In theory, there are a lot of 240v options, and of course the Wall Connector, so not everyone was using the 14-50 adapter, or they are just being cheap, which seems more likely.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
If you need the NEMA 14-50 adapter, you can try a nearby Service Center, they sometimes have these. Also, Tesla has a complete adapter bundle for sale, which might be in stock even if the individual 14-50 adapter is not. There's also a corded mobile connector with a NEMA 14-50 plug. Which one of these is "right" for you might depend on your individual situation.

Note also that the combination of a Mobile Connector (gen 2) plus NEMA 14-50 adapter will only deliver up to 32A of current to the car. The old Universal Mobile Connector (gen 1) plus its NEMA 14-50 adapter will deliver up to 40A.

Bruce.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
There's also a corded mobile connector with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

True, but at $400 you would be better off spending an extra $95 to get the Wall Connector, which comes with a 24-foot cable (the mobile connector has a 20-foot cable) and will charge at 40-amps on the 50-amp circuit.

I think the corded mobile connector will also charge at 40-amps, but it is also out of stock.

bmah

Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
True, but at $400 you would be better off spending an extra $95 to get the Wall Connector, which comes with a 24-foot cable (the mobile connector has a 20-foot cable) and will charge at 40-amps on the 50-amp circuit.

I agree that for a lot of people the Wall Connector might be the best alternative. But it really depends on one's unique situation. Also note the $495 for the Wall Connector doesn't include the cost of installation.

Bruce.

bmah

Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
I'm still a little surprised that I need a totally new charging set up than my prior two MS cars. Thanks to the OP for asking the questions.
What length cable comes with the car? And can this cable then use the 14-50?

Why don't you just use the old charging gear with the new car? I'm charging my 2022 Model X using the UMC gen 1 with NEMA 14-50 adapter from my 2015 Model S.

As someone pointed out up-thread the Mobile Connector that comes with currently shipping (2022) Teslas doesn't include a NEMA 14-50 adapter, you need to buy that separately to use the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Or do one of the other alternatives.

Any idea how much approximately to update my 240/NEMA 14-50 outlet to the Wall Connector would cost?

Alas, I don't. I imagine it wouldn't be a lot because all the wiring and panel work can stay as-is.

Bruce.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Any idea how much approximately to update my 240/NEMA 14-50 outlet to the Wall Connector would cost?
This is a very low cost change. Since you already have the 14-50 outlet you have the wiring and breaker in place. All you need to do is mount the Wall Connector in place of the outlet. I would get an electrician to do this since the wires may need a short extension. Also, you will need to replace the 50A GFIC breaker (if one was installed) with a standard 50A breaker ($10-20).

Once installed, set the Wall Connector to a 50A setting and you will be good to go. As to cost, this is just a hour or two of an electricians time, get a few quotes.

Depends on where your electric panel and if your panel has enough AMP to hand the extra draw, the cost can be over $1,000. When I purchased my 2014 MS, it came with the NEMA 14-50 plug. I think at that time, it is the only available configuration Tesla had for home charging other than 110V. Now I remember which I picked up my wife's 2019 M3, they sold me the NEMA adapter at delivery for around $29. Today, they are selling it for $49 but the Tesla site says it is unavailable. So, if you want to jump in and be able charge at home when you get the car, try to buy one first or you will be doing 110V charging or visit SuperCharger. Tesla does give you 1000 miles of free Supercharging, however.

Why don't you just use the old charging gear with the new car? I'm charging my 2022 Model X using the UMC gen 1 with NEMA 14-50 adapter from my 2015 Model S.

As someone pointed out up-thread the Mobile Connector that comes with currently shipping (2022) Teslas doesn't include a NEMA 14-50 adapter, you need to buy that separately to use the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Or do one of the other alternatives.

Alas, I don't. I imagine it wouldn't be a lot because all the wiring and panel work can stay as-is.

Bruce.
I can't use the old gear with the new car as I sold the old car

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and bmah

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC