Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should be in the charging cable kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone say how long the Mobile Connector is that comes with new 2022 Teslas?
20-feet, assuming it is the same kit you can get on the Tesla Shop website

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I thought the NEMA 14-50 adapter was included with the Mobile Connector?
When did this change
Around 3 or 4 years ago, like approximately when the Model 3 started shipping. It makes a kind of sense. A lot of people were getting Model 3s and were setting up a lot of different circuit levels and charging options. Some people couldn't fit in a new extra 50A circuit, so 14-30 was becoming a more popular choice. Or some people had existing 10-30 outlets. Or some people were doing 6-20. Or a lot of people were getting the wall connector instead an never using any of the plug adapters. Continuing with this idea that the most holy 14-50 was the be-all, end-all one single thing was kind of not applicable anymore, and giving out thousands and thousands of them that were not being used was a bad idea. I do think they should have switched to a different system, where they just include an online voucher in people's accounts with a new car purchase, where they redeem it for one free adapter of their choice. That would make sense, where if they are doing a 14-30, they can get that one with the car.

and how do they expect you to charge the car at a decent rate for my 240 v outlet?
By buying a $45 adapter. It's not a big deal.
Would I still get the 20 foot Mobile Connector cable?
That still comes with every car, so you won't need to buy another one of those--just buy the adapter you need.
I'm still a little surprised that I need a totally new charging set up than my prior two MS cars. Thanks to the OP for asking the questions.
What length cable comes with the car? And can this cable then use the 14-50?
You don't need a totally new charging setup. The car comes with the cable. It just needs the adapter for whatever type of outlet people have.

Reactions: Acps110 and bmah
Around 3 or 4 years ago, like approximately when the Model 3 started shipping. It makes a kind of sense. A lot of people were getting Model 3s and were setting up a lot of different circuit levels and charging options. Some people couldn't fit in a new extra 50A circuit, so 14-30 was becoming a more popular choice. Or some people had existing 10-30 outlets. Or some people were doing 6-20. Or a lot of people were getting the wall connector instead an never using any of the plug adapters. Continuing with this idea that the most holy 14-50 was the be-all, end-all one single thing was kind of not applicable anymore, and giving out thousands and thousands of them that were not being used was a bad idea. I do think they should have switched to a different system, where they just include an online voucher in people's accounts with a new car purchase, where they redeem it for one free adapter of their choice. That would make sense, where if they are doing a 14-30, they can get that one with the car.

By buying a $45 adapter. It's not a big deal.

That still comes with every car, so you won't need to buy another one of those--just buy the adapter you need.

You don't need a totally new charging setup. The car comes with the cable. It just needs the adapter for whatever type of outlet people have.
Too bad the 14-50 adapters are Out of Stock

wonder why people like the 14-50 the 6-50 is a cheaper 50 amp outlet with cheaper 3 wire run. I thought 14-50 was only needed for appliances that need a separate 120v and the 240v? I hardwired my one wall charger and put an additional 6-50 outlet for the mobile charger incase anything ever happened to my wall charger or my wife picked up an EV.

Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD

wonder why people like the 14-50 the 6-50 is a cheaper 50 amp outlet with cheaper 3 wire run. I thought 14-50 was only needed for appliances that need a separate 120v and the 240v? I hardwired my one wall charger and put an additional 6-50 outlet for the mobile charger incase anything ever happened to my wall charger or my wife picked up an EV.

Excellent point, the 6-50 adapter is in stock and swapping out a 14-50 outlet for a 6-50 is easy to do. Just be sure to get a commercial grade outlet.

6-50 doesn't use a neutral so the outlet can't really be used for anything else down the road. If you're ok with that it's a great idea

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
Why don't you just use the old charging gear with the new car? I'm charging my 2022 Model X using the UMC gen 1 with NEMA 14-50 adapter from my 2015 Model S.

As someone pointed out up-thread the Mobile Connector that comes with currently shipping (2022) Teslas doesn't include a NEMA 14-50 adapter, you need to buy that separately to use the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Or do one of the other alternatives.

Alas, I don't. I imagine it wouldn't be a lot because all the wiring and panel work can stay as-is.

Bruce.
Old charging gear. Gen-1 doesn’t work with all 2020 and after MS. Tesla has not released specific guides but Gen 1 Destination chargers often don’t work so Destination Charger map is flawed and hotels have no idea.

• Funny
The reason I'm in need of the 14-50 adapter is because that was the recommended Tesla standard for my first two Model S cars. My 240v outlet was installed as a 14-50
Yeah I'm a crazy person I keep this in my car just incase NEMA Adapter Bundle I can't wait for the CCS 1 adapter I'll be throwing that in the car as well. I don't like being limited. But for wiring my house the 6-50 is a cheaper run.

True, but at $400 you would be better off spending an extra $95 to get the Wall Connector, which comes with a 24-foot cable (the mobile connector has a 20-foot cable) and will charge at 40-amps on the 50-amp circuit.

I think the corded mobile connector will also charge at 40-amps, but it is also out of stock.
Totally agree.

Actually Wall Connector can charge at 48A (60 A circuit). No GFCI breaker needed. Mobile will max out at 32 A (40 A circuit) and will need GFCI breaker (add another $100 for the GFCI breaker) and $45 for the adapter.

People are so focused on these outdated camp ground hookup solutions.

Totally agree.

Actually Wall Connector can charge at 48A (60 A circuit). No GFCI breaker needed. Mobile will max out at 32 A (40 A circuit) and will need GFCI breaker (add another $100 for the GFCI breaker) and $45 for the adapter.

People are so focused on these outdated camp ground hookup solutions.
While the Wall Connector would be great for my situation it isn't cost effective. I'll have to pay for the Wall Connector and Labor to install it.
Granted I already have the 240v line with the 14-50 outlet so the labor would be less. But for approx $750 vs $49 for the 14-50 adapter it seems like a no brainer. I'm only giving up a fee miles/hour in charge speed which I really don't need

Reactions: bmah and brkaus
I do not believe that to be the case with the gen1 mobile connector??
It is not mine to understand. They say it has something to do with communication between charger and car that was changed in 2018. Tesla did two things you rarely heard of: sent me serial numbers for the different Gen chargers AND EXCHANGED my mobile gen1 for the latest Gen ( I still had to buy the -14-50 plug). Craziness: model 3/y does not have problem and some ( unidentifiable) new S have the problem fixed. They refuse to fix the newer Model S’s. For example at the StRegisHotel in Atlanta the Tesla Charger gets red ring on plugging in to my car. Their Charge point works fine.