TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What Should Elon Include in His Top Secret Master Plan II

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Bgarret, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Bgarret

Bgarret Model S ownin' Michigan scofflaw

with his Tweet Sunday, Elon teased an update or revision to the Top Secret Master Plan. Since the initial Top Secret Master Plan is still underway, what material additions/ updates will be add...let the speculation begin. Here are some amuse Bouche for your pleasure:

1. Revised timelines for Tesla Auto, including Model S,X, 3 and hints at future models.
    2. Outline of Tesla Energy similar to the one provided in Master Plan I for Tesla Auto.
    3. Outline of Gigafactories for battery and solar. Gigafactories as product?
    4. Outline of a path to autonomous driving.

This should be fun.

• Like x 4
  2. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

First three don't qualify for a "masterplan" . They are merely just 'plans' ;)

The second part is about another fundamental disruption.

A fully autonomous system of cars reduce the need down to 1/4th the number of cars for the overall society. That will help accelerate developing a fully sustainable transportation system much faster.

This is essentially what Adam Jonas was essentially begging Tesla to announce.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  3. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Original master plan:
    They already did 2.5 (Build even more expensive SUV).
    SCTY acquisition to help with 4.

I'd add:
    3.5 Use that money to build an even more more affordable car (Perhaps Model Y, or something else)
    5. OEM powertrain to others (including Supercharging)
    6. Design electric plane...partner with aircraft manufacturer to build/market.

• Like x 1
  4. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

If you look at the original master plan, steps 1 through 3 are highly specific, with a financial scheme -- actual business plan material -- and step 4 is really vague.

I think the logical Master Plan II is to spell out "provide zero emission electric power generation options", with a finance sequencing plan like they had for the cars. "Factory as a product" would be a sensible thing to include as well, because it explains part of the financing.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 2
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#5 ecarfan, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    I would only speculate that it will be a much broader vision than the original plan, incorporating a holistic look at Tesla providing a complete sustainable energy solution for individuals and businesses, from onsite generation to storage to use including use in transportation.

The goal could be to transition the world to sustainable energy use for almost all energy needs, not just for transportation.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  6. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

More cowbell

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Ok..

Elon has a new time stretcher. Elon Musk on Twitter

What do you think it is? We only have a few days to guess.

Does it have anything to do with M3?
    Pencils down?
    Or MY?
    Or ....?

Any guesses?

8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

If I had to guess I would say that he's going to be more explicit about Tesla's energy plans.

• Like x 2
  9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#9 S'toon, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  10. hckyplyr

hckyplyr Member

Global domination

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

Love it. Great response.

12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I hopefully it will be an update to clarify point four. And perhaps some more info about self driving cars.

Here is the original secret master plan from 2006:

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
    1. Build sports car
    2. Use that money to build an affordable car
    3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
    4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options

13. Adm

Adm Active Member

I suspect plans for factories in Europe and China will be part of the master plan.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 3
  15. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'd actually argue the entire point of the first master plan was the Model 3 and the guesses the OP made had to do with the Model 3 platform which is probably why it was posted here.

I do agree though that the Master Plan Part II will probably not be about the Model 3.

16. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Besides energy related topics, let's remember that Elon mentioned in a previous talk that Tesla had a upcoming solution to automotive congestion issues...

• Helpful x 1
  17. Garlan Garner

I get on my knees and beg your forever forgiveness. What do you suggest that I do? It was never my intent to double start a topic. I realize that is frowned upon.

I believed that it might have something to do with the M3. Since people don't think so.....please destroy the thread if needed.

18. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Hyperloop for freight at first and people in time - transcontinentally, then globally.

Energy sufficiency for the country then continent.

Cars with a 100,000 mile new car warranty.

One of these is not like the others.

19. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

Perhaps Elon should wait and publish the post on Aug 2, which is the 10-year anniversary of his Top Secret Master Plan Part 1! :D

I'd love to see Tesla's detailed roadmap/timeline for full autonomy. Will the Model 3 "Autopilot" hardware (or Autopilot V2 for S/X) be capable of fully autonomous driving, once the software catches up? Would it make sense to designate certain freeway lanes or toll roads as autonomous-only, so cars could e.g. safely draft off each other nose-to-tail?

How does Elon envision the SC network scaling up to handle a 10x or 50x larger fleet?

Beyond a pickup truck, does Tesla plan to eventually go larger, into Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition territory? Or full-size vans? Or even semi trucks / buses? Would the Gigafactory provide batteries for other companies producing these vehicles?

I wonder what Elon's view is on cleaner nuclear tech, such as thorium reactors, and whether that has a place in future power generation, or whether he'd rather jump straight to Tesla Fusion™. Or whether he thinks pure solar / wind / hydro / geothermal will be enough. I also wonder whether he's thought about any economically viable model for recapturing carbon back out of the atmosphere.

20. hckyplyr

hckyplyr Member

Run against trump and hillary

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1