Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Should Elon Include in His Top Secret Master Plan II

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V2 of the plan:
Model 3 will be compatible with the HyperLoop Systems. LA to NY in 1 hour in your car. Ready to drive off at your destination.
That would be awesome, but I think that will not happen. The economics of the Hyperloop, as Elon laid out in the white paper, won't work for it carrying cars with one or a few people in it. The cost per passenger might Ben an order of magnitude higher. That's a lot of mass and volume taken up per passenger compared to the drawings we have seen of what a Hyperloop passenger compartment could look like.

In response to a post by Jigar Shaw, Elon responded "something like that", with regards to Master Plan II. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bullish-case-tesla-solar-city-merger-jigar-shah

In reading the post, it talks about bundling and financing Solar + Battery + 2 cars for $100k and how it potentially could pay for itself. The missing element is financing, which is also the difficulty with Tesla, SCTY and more widespread adoption of Solar and Electric Transportation and discussing relatively undercapitalized SCTY and TSLA. Any chance of a asset financing pool by 3rd parties that would remove the leasing/deferred financing as an obstacle from both Tesla and Science City. Would be helpful for cash flow, capital expenditures and cash burn.

Yes, if you look closely, you can clearly see the master plan illustrated here ... :cool:

upload_2016-7-11_17-24-41.png

I read the tweet. How do we know it as in regards to Master Plan II and not just the Solar Tesla merger? I read it just as the latest, but it could be both...
Because it was attached to this tweet from Jagr to Elon:

.@T24h7d @TheEnergyGang @elonmusk I already put in my 2 cents on Tesla 2.0:

If you are curious, you can follow the Twitter links yourself.

I wonder what Elon's view is on cleaner nuclear tech, such as thorium reactors, and whether that has a place in future power generation, or whether he'd rather jump straight to Tesla Fusion™.

He HAS!

Those black panels which SolarCity sells? They're collecting fusion power. From a fusion reactor which generates about 3 * 10^14 terawatts. Admittedly only 1.8 * 10^5 terawatts is reaching Earth, but I'd still call that a pretty impressive fusion reactor. Sure, we're only converting 20% of the fusion energy to electricity, but Civilization only uses about 12 terawatts, so I'd say that 36000 terawatts should be sufficient for now.

A person can become totally fossil independent with one click of a mouse. Tesla Power sends you all the generation you need, solar or wind (or a combo) depending on where you live. Tesla Energy sends you the batteries to store the power you generate. Tesla Automotive sends you the vehicles you need to drive. Tesla Home sends you a new electric hot water heater, a new electric furnace, and a new electric lawn mower.

A person can become totally fossil independent with one click of a mouse. Tesla Power sends you all the generation you need, solar or wind (or a combo) depending on where you live. Tesla Energy sends you the batteries to store the power you generate. Tesla Automotive sends you the vehicles you need to drive. Tesla Home sends you a new electric hot water heater, a new electric furnace, and a new electric lawn mower.
You joke, but I'll take that over the current state of affairs.

I doubt that poster was joking, there's certainly nothing keeping Tesla from providing all of the above.

As I've been saying for a while, once SCTY can remove most of it's sales cost it's super cheap. Ordering by mouse click means $2/W solar installs, the $1/W you save can be put toward a battery pack.

Unfortunately for anyone living north of about California, that just isn't possible. Electric furnaces and electric cars use a LOT of power. Especially in winter. Right when your solar panels are producing a fraction of what they do in summer. I have a gas furnace, gas water heater, and all electric other appliances (including an electric hot tub). And a pretty dang big (12.42kW - as much as would fit on my house) solar system. Annually I'm pretty close to net zero. But if I were to truly not rely on the power grid, I would need dozens to hundreds of PowerWalls to get through the winter. In February I need to be able to reach back to energy "stored" the previous April in order to net zero. Now that I own a Tesla, I don't have a prayer of making net zero annually.

Reactions: Booga
Unfortunately for anyone living north of about California, that just isn't possible. Electric furnaces and electric cars use a LOT of power. Especially in winter. Right when your solar panels are producing a fraction of what they do in summer. I have a gas furnace, gas water heater, and all electric other appliances (including an electric hot tub). And a pretty dang big (12.42kW - as much as would fit on my house) solar system. Annually I'm pretty close to net zero. But if I were to truly not rely on the power grid, I would need dozens to hundreds of PowerWalls to get through the winter. In February I need to be able to reach back to energy "stored" the previous April in order to net zero. Now that I own a Tesla, I don't have a prayer of making net zero annually.
As a reply to myself, this is why utility scale adoption of solar panels is so important. They have much more land for solar panels, and can use much larger batteries. The two work in concert to not have to store as much for as long.

Actually, now that I think about it - with an efficient enough power distribution system, you can use time zones to time shift solar production onto peak demand around the world. And summer in northern hemisphere to counterbalance winter in southern. That'd be pretty crazy awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
With regard to billionaires becoming President, we're about to go 0-2, including the Texas Ferengi*. Most billionaires are too smart or not bored enough to want the job in the first place.

With regard to the master plan redux, it helps to envision how the world could be in 10 years... How many GFs, how many post-Model 3s, how long it took for municipalities across the world to give more than lip service to a fundamental solar and EV transformation, and how many miles of Hyperloop tube/track exist globally.

No time like the present. After all, time only accelerates.

* that would be/have been one Ross Perot

My guess, at least a portion of it, will be about Mobility...an Uber like service that they'll launch once their production of the 3 catches up with the demand. If they don't use the 3, then it'll be a mobility service announcement along with an announcement of a new car to use with the mobility service.

Either way, I think teslas long term plan (pertaining to cars) will incorporate an organic autonomous mobility service that'll compete with the Uber and lyfts of the world.

Obviously in the big picture of the masterplan, tesla is no longer only a car company, they'll be an energy company. A one stop shop of production to storage to consumption...then wash, rinse, and repeat.