Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Should Elon Include in His Top Secret Master Plan II

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bgarret

Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw
May 10, 2013
Michigan
with his Tweet Sunday, Elon teased an update or revision to the Top Secret Master Plan. Since the initial Top Secret Master Plan is still underway, what material additions/ updates will be add...let the speculation begin. Here are some amuse Bouche for your pleasure:

1. Revised timelines for Tesla Auto, including Model S,X, 3 and hints at future models.
2. Outline of Tesla Energy similar to the one provided in Master Plan I for Tesla Auto.
3. Outline of Gigafactories for battery and solar. Gigafactories as product?
4. Outline of a path to autonomous driving.

This should be fun.

First three don't qualify for a "masterplan" . They are merely just 'plans' ;)

The second part is about another fundamental disruption.

A fully autonomous system of cars reduce the need down to 1/4th the number of cars for the overall society. That will help accelerate developing a fully sustainable transportation system much faster.

This is essentially what Adam Jonas was essentially begging Tesla to announce.

Original master plan:
  1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
  4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
They already did 2.5 (Build even more expensive SUV).
SCTY acquisition to help with 4.

I'd add:
3.5 Use that money to build an even more more affordable car (Perhaps Model Y, or something else)
5. OEM powertrain to others (including Supercharging)
6. Design electric plane...partner with aircraft manufacturer to build/market.

Reactions: replicant
If you look at the original master plan, steps 1 through 3 are highly specific, with a financial scheme -- actual business plan material -- and step 4 is really vague.

I think the logical Master Plan II is to spell out "provide zero emission electric power generation options", with a finance sequencing plan like they had for the cars. "Factory as a product" would be a sensible thing to include as well, because it explains part of the financing.

I would only speculate that it will be a much broader vision than the original plan, incorporating a holistic look at Tesla providing a complete sustainable energy solution for individuals and businesses, from onsite generation to storage to use including use in transportation.

The goal could be to transition the world to sustainable energy use for almost all energy needs, not just for transportation.

Last edited:
This is already being discussed here What Should Elon Include in His Top Secret Master Plan II

And this topic has little to do with the Model 3, which is the forum this thread was started in.
I'd actually argue the entire point of the first master plan was the Model 3 and the guesses the OP made had to do with the Model 3 platform which is probably why it was posted here.

I do agree though that the Master Plan Part II will probably not be about the Model 3.

This is already being discussed here What Should Elon Include in His Top Secret Master Plan II

And this topic has little to do with the Model 3, which is the forum this thread was started in.

I get on my knees and beg your forever forgiveness. What do you suggest that I do? It was never my intent to double start a topic. I realize that is frowned upon.

I believed that it might have something to do with the M3. Since people don't think so.....please destroy the thread if needed.

Perhaps Elon should wait and publish the post on Aug 2, which is the 10-year anniversary of his Top Secret Master Plan Part 1! :D

I'd love to see Tesla's detailed roadmap/timeline for full autonomy. Will the Model 3 "Autopilot" hardware (or Autopilot V2 for S/X) be capable of fully autonomous driving, once the software catches up? Would it make sense to designate certain freeway lanes or toll roads as autonomous-only, so cars could e.g. safely draft off each other nose-to-tail?

How does Elon envision the SC network scaling up to handle a 10x or 50x larger fleet?

Beyond a pickup truck, does Tesla plan to eventually go larger, into Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition territory? Or full-size vans? Or even semi trucks / buses? Would the Gigafactory provide batteries for other companies producing these vehicles?

I wonder what Elon's view is on cleaner nuclear tech, such as thorium reactors, and whether that has a place in future power generation, or whether he'd rather jump straight to Tesla Fusion™. Or whether he thinks pure solar / wind / hydro / geothermal will be enough. I also wonder whether he's thought about any economically viable model for recapturing carbon back out of the atmosphere.