Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I buy before model 3 comes out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get a used Leaf for well under $10k in the US. Older models go as low as $6500. I would only buy one still under warranty with lower mileage, but even then they're still under $10k.

I know of someone that bought a new Leaf last year for $21k out the door after haggling, so $13,500 after federal rebate. Not bad for a brand new EV, even if it does only get 80 miles per charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Except that the car won't depreciate. Your value is locked in. You get to use it for free. As long as you don't total it or render the engine inoperative.

I'm also in the TDI boat, mulling over the options of a quick buyback or holding out.

While it's true the "value is locked in", that assumes your mileage is within the allocation of 1042 miles per month. If it is, then I agree with the general idea of putting off the sale, provided the car is in decent condition and you're willing to roll the dice on an expensive repair.

I drive closer to 2500 miles per month, which makes the calculation a bit more complicated. The mileage calculation is fairly punitive - for me the difference between letting them buy it back immediately and waiting until ~Jan 2018 is about $3,000. All things considered, $3k for a year of driving any automobile isn't that bad, but I've also come to not particularly trust the mechanical soundness of the car - another fuel pump or turbo failure is a risk I'm not particularly keen on taking.

A local Chevy dealer has had a 2013 CPO Volt sitting on their lot for months and months... thinking of making them a lowball offer.

I'm also in the TDI boat, mulling over the options of a quick buyback or holding out.

While it's true the "value is locked in", that assumes your mileage is within the allocation of 1042 miles per month. If it is, then I agree with the general idea of putting off the sale, provided the car is in decent condition and you're willing to roll the dice on an expensive repair.

I drive closer to 2500 miles per month, which makes the calculation a bit more complicated. The mileage calculation is fairly punitive - for me the difference between letting them buy it back immediately and waiting until ~Jan 2018 is about $3,000. All things considered, $3k for a year of driving any automobile isn't that bad, but I've also come to not particularly trust the mechanical soundness of the car - another fuel pump or turbo failure is a risk I'm not particularly keen on taking.

A local Chevy dealer has had a 2013 CPO Volt sitting on their lot for months and months... thinking of making them a lowball offer.

I know we are totally off topic, but where did you find the info on TDI buyback values? To get back on topic.... with the lousy resale values of Leaf/Volt, wouldn't it make more sense to lease?

You can get a used Leaf for well under $10k in the US. Older models go as low as $6500. I would only buy one still under warranty with lower mileage, but even then they're still under $10k.

I know of someone that bought a new Leaf last year for $21k out the door after haggling, so $13,500 after federal rebate. Not bad for a brand new EV, even if it does only get 80 miles per charge.
Likewise, look into a used first generation Volt.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I know we are totally off topic, but where did you find the info on TDI buyback values? To get back on topic.... with the lousy resale values of Leaf/Volt, wouldn't it make more sense to lease?

Off-topic: This site will calculate a buyback amount based on the proposed (ie subject to change) settlement details:

Unofficial VW Settlement Calculator

On-topic: Yes, in most cases I'd say a lease is the way to go, but they're just not practical when you drive 30k+ per year.

Consumer Reports has great ratings for cars including price, reliability and fuel economy. In the magazine they also have semi-regular ratings for good used cars under $10k. Despite the flack CR got around here recently, they aren't all bad -- remember when the P85D broke their rating system? :eek::D Perhaps (once you get here) you can find a North American friend who's a subscriber and has the big book of car ratings or the yearly Auto Issue. You can also pick up a random issue at an airport newsstand and look up (in the excellent table of contents at the back of every issue) and find out which issue had ratings for which vehicles and buy the ones you need to see on Zinio.

I'd buy an used EV. Is any company offering extended warranty on used EVs/phevs? The usual ones back out when they hear EV :(
Sun Country is starting a subsidiary called Sun Country Eco Rides, which will in part sell used EVS. They haven't started up sales yet though.
Sun Country Integrated - People leading change for a sustainable future

There's a dealer in Quebec which is selling every used EV they can get their hands on, as well as new GM vehicles.
Volts fuel Chevy store's success

One Quebec auto dealer has pre-sold 93 Chevy Bolt electric vehicles - Cantech Letter

Last edited:
Posted this last July 4th weekend...

Just spreading the word that Ford has a July promo going on now. Used Ford Focus Electric prices have dropped sharply.

So in order to keep my sanity while waiting for the Model 3, I just purchased a gently used 2012 with leather seats, 17k miles for well under $12k USD! Quite crazy since it used to be over $40k. I've read of even better deals but they're too far for me to drive a short range EV back home.​

Update: I'm having a blast driving this commuter car! Just to add... I get over 80 miles per charge, drives like new, it's fully loaded, certified preowned and has a liquid battery cooling system that is lacking in the Nissan Leaf. Also using it as a placeholder for my Model 3's vanity plates. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions,
yeah there are plenty of options and I think I will either go plug in or electric. Need to explore the idea of Ford Focus electric. I do want some range as would be nervous to drive a car with only 80 miles range. Want to buy a house on the outskirts of the city but also would frequently commute to Toronto area.
There are obviously lease options also which might be a better choice as you can get out of it after 3 years. It might be at least 2 years before we see model 3. At that point we would use the lease vehicle as my wife's car.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Thanks for all the suggestions,
yeah there are plenty of options and I think I will either go plug in or electric. Need to explore the idea of Ford Focus electric. I do want some range as would be nervous to drive a car with only 80 miles range. Want to buy a house on the outskirts of the city but also would frequently commute to Toronto area.
There are obviously lease options also which might be a better choice as you can get out of it after 3 years. It might be at least 2 years before we see model 3. At that point we would use the lease vehicle as my wife's car.
If you can wait a few months you could lease a Bolt.

Reactions: starlord111