Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I buy before model 3 comes out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are planning to spend $30 or $40k to buy brand new leaf just buy a model S instead.

That $40k leaf is going to be worth $5k when the M3 rolls out. You would likely lose more money with the leaf than you would with the model S!

Buying a brand new leaf is a terrible idea in my opinion. For the matter buying any non tesla pure electric car is a mistake. Consider leasing instead.

Reactions: starlord111
Speaking of non tesla pure electric cars.. I wonder if these are really helping the environment to begin with.

Think of it.. What will happen once the new generation of electric cars come to the market?

These cars will end up in the junk yard I predict. OP could drive a v8 mustang or something and cause less damage to the planet..Exaggerated example but who knows?

Once again, in the US.

The OP's moving to Canada.
I'm aware of that. Just didn't go out of my way to research for deals in Canada. :cool: BTW he's moving in a month, so I'm not sure whether the idea of leasing a Bolt would work.

I originally suggested a Ford Focus, which I just bought a month ago, but it seems like a longer range vehicle is in order. The Chevy Volt has nice features considering the OP's needs. Trying to find a good deal for $10,000 (CAD?) or under, well that's another story.

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. Just didn't go out of my way to research for deals in Canada. :cool: BTW he's moving in a month, so I'm not sure whether the idea of leasing a Bolt would work.

I originally suggested a Ford Focus, which I just bought a month ago, but it seems like a longer range vehicle is in order. The Chevy Volt has nice features considering the OP's needs. Trying to find a good deal for $10,000 (CAD?) or under, well that's another story.
As far as I can ascertain, the US has the cheapest lease rates in the world. I don't know why. I've seen time and time again some article about cheap lease rates on some EV, and I look it up in Canada, and it's three times as much. I've seen people in other countries make similar comments.

As for the month, and the Bolt, that's why I said "if."

I pointed out a couple of new cars in the $10K range earlier in the thread. They're not the best cars in the world, but they'll get the job done.

In the used cars category there's always Kijiji. Craigslist isn't as popular in Canada.

I think I will either go plug in or electric. Need to explore the idea of Ford Focus electric.

You might want to look at a car with something similar to the AutoPilot (autobraking, dynamic cruise, lane keeping, blind side indicators/warning, rear cross track indicators/warning) and top crash survival rating and AWD. That will give you an idea of whether to go for the Autopilot and AWD on the T3 also how the basic systems work. I got a $25K loaded Subaru Legacy with all that stuff top safety rating plus it's a great AWD for the Great North. 2016 has the actual lane keeping vs. lane warning to try that out.

Getting a 100 mile funkadelic EV is not really going give you much experience usable to your 250 mile Tesla as far as the charging issues other than instill enough range anxiety to insure you order the max range model T3.

Reactions: starlord111
Getting a 100 mile funkadelic EV is not really going give you much experience usable to your 250 mile Tesla as far as the charging issues other than instill enough range anxiety to insure you order the max range model T3.
Which is actually a great reason to get a 100-mile EV. I have over four years of Leaf ownership, and I'll definitely be ordering the largest battery possible in my M3.

Reactions: GSP and SΞXY P100D
Hi,

can you guys help me. I am moving to Canada in a month from the UK. I reserved model 3 in Canada, ( first day :))
Need a car in the meantime to drive, Do not know what to buy or lease. What would you do. I do not want to spend more than $10,000 on a vehicle ( can pay cash) but also hate the idea of buying another ICE vehicle. Not sure how I feel about plug in hybrids as it feels a bit like cheating.

As we do not know when model 3 is going to come out, Tesla is known for being late. I do not mind waiting.

I currently drive a 2002 Mercedes C-180 kompressor. Its a good car but get a horrible gas milage in the city driving.
What would you buy while you were waiting for model 3. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not the first to say it, but a used Volt seems like the logical choice for you. A taste of electric driving, practice with charging and the charging infrastructure, no worries about range, and not a whole lot of money.

If for some reason the Volt doesn't fit you, possibly one of the PHEVs? The Ford Fusion Energi in Titanium trim has lesser versions of most of the driving aids in Autopilot, and would still give you some EV experience.

Reactions: GSP
Which is actually a great reason to get a 100-mile EV. I have over four years of Leaf ownership, and I'll definitely be ordering the largest battery possible in my M3.

That is the takeaway lesson for current EV's. Friend leased an EV with 100 mile range and even though his commute is just 10 miles, he's in constant range anxiety, where to charge at work, how to charge at home (fighting with condo association over charging). Which places he can go to, which he can't. Why suffer years of needless range anxiety for no reason? Everybody already gets range anxiety just hearing a car has a 100 mile range.

On the other hand, the AutoPilot option issues are looming larger and larger. Get a car that gives you most of the essential features so you have some basis for ordering the AutoPilot activated. Also some training in how it works and the need to driving the car, not pretending AutoPilot means self driving. That's not what Autopilot is now or will be on the T3.

Same for ordering the AWD option in Canada. Probably more important to know that is a near essential feature the farther North one goes. Especially since that can't be added later.

Last edited:
Hi,

can you guys help me. I am moving to Canada in a month from the UK. I reserved model 3 in Canada, ( first day :))
Need a car in the meantime to drive, Do not know what to buy or lease. What would you do. I do not want to spend more than $10,000 on a vehicle ( can pay cash) but also hate the idea of buying another ICE vehicle. Not sure how I feel about plug in hybrids as it feels a bit like cheating.

As we do not know when model 3 is going to come out, Tesla is known for being late. I do not mind waiting.

I currently drive a 2002 Mercedes C-180 kompressor. Its a good car but get a horrible gas milage in the city driving.
What would you buy while you were waiting for model 3. any suggestions would be appreciated.
given the uncertainty about when the ☰ will arrive, or at least when your ☰ will arrive, I think it would not be safe to buy anything with a time based contract like a lease.
That is exactly the problem I will have, my lease is up at least four months before the earliest date the ☰ will arrive, so I must get something to drive.
I was looking at a used Leaf, but the safest bet with lowest risk is the 5-6 year old Civic.
For me its back to gas again, but all the EV options are expensive and risky,

Speaking of non tesla pure electric cars.. I wonder if these are really helping the environment to begin with.

Think of it.. What will happen once the new generation of electric cars come to the market?

These cars will end up in the junk yard I predict. OP could drive a v8 mustang or something and cause less damage to the planet..Exaggerated example but who knows?

Along the line of new generations pushing the old to the side. In my opinion electric cars will fit more into the paradigm of say your smart phone more so that the traditional ICE vehicle. Technology in regards to electric cars is still is a state of growth and innovation in regards to not only battery but autonomy. In a few years time we are going to see vehicles on the road with capabilities in regards to autonomy that used to only be in science fiction films. I have a 3 reserved but I fear that it will quickly become "old tech", maybe leasing is the way to go until the technology matures and has plateaued?

More on topic in regards to which vehicle to purchase, we have a Volt now and if you could fit it into your price range used it's not a bad vehicle. Our commute is relatively short and we generally drive all electric. Resale for the Volt is already poor compared to MSRP and I don't really see it taking an immediate dip further in regards to resale because even with the 3 there will be some with range anxiety and want the ICE even if the electric range in relatively abysmal in comparison.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
You folks commenting on US prices did note that the OP said he was moving to Canada, not the US, didn't you? Prices in Canada are significantly higher.

Can Canada residents buy used cars in the US and bring them home? If so, why not get an inexpensive used Leaf or Volt from the US?

If Canada prohibits this, then look for a used Leaf or Volt in Canada.

GSP

These cars will end up in the junk yard I predict.
No, I do not think so. People is buying this cars now, and thereby saying that this cars do what they need to do to be worth paying for. And they will still be able to fill the exact same usage after there is newer and better/longer range BEV's on the road. It will probably not be produced any longer - at least not in the scope we see today. And the prices for used short-range cars will drop, but as the price drops there is always someone who can find a usage for this cars that makes it worth paying for.

I just bought a used Nissan Leaf on Thursday to hold me over. Paid $9700 for a 2013 with only 12,650 miles on it. I will get a good portion of that back out of my Honda Fit that has 112k miles on it. Sure, it only has an 80 mile range and will take 4 hours to charge from empty when I get my L2 charger installed (takes 14 hours to go from 25% to full on 110!), but since I work from home and am basically only doing around town driving, and my wife has the family car anyway, it works perfectly for me.

It's no Tesla, but it's got 0-30 that can best many cars on the road, and is MUCH more fun to drive and comfortable than my Fit. The money I should save on maintenance, gas, etc over the next year should offset some of the price difference and cost to install my chargers.

I just bought a used Nissan Leaf on Thursday to hold me over. Paid $9700 for a 2013 with only 12,650 miles on it. I will get a good portion of that back out of my Honda Fit that has 112k miles on it.

It's no Tesla, but it's got 0-30 that can best many cars on the road, and is MUCH more fun to drive and comfortable than my Fit. The money I should save on maintenance, gas, etc over the next year should offset some of the price difference and cost to install my chargers.
I drove my wife's Honda Fit to work all this week while my Prius is waiting for a spare tyre. Overall about 400 miles that was 80% county highway and 20% small town. I really enjoyed it, and managed 51.5 MPG on the car meter (with effort.)

Small cars are wonderful.