Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I buy before model 3 comes out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used Nissan Leaf on Thursday to hold me over. Paid $9700 for a 2013 with only 12,650 miles on it. I will get a good portion of that back out of my Honda Fit that has 112k miles on it. Sure, it only has an 80 mile range and will take 4 hours to charge from empty when I get my L2 charger installed (takes 14 hours to go from 25% to full on 110!), but since I work from home and am basically only doing around town driving, and my wife has the family car anyway, it works perfectly for me.

It's no Tesla, but it's got 0-30 that can best many cars on the road, and is MUCH more fun to drive and comfortable than my Fit. The money I should save on maintenance, gas, etc over the next year should offset some of the price difference and cost to install my chargers.
Are you sure it's still 80 miles?

Can Canada residents buy used cars in the US and bring them home? If so, why not get an inexpensive used Leaf or Volt from the US?

If Canada prohibits this, then look for a used Leaf or Volt in Canada.

GSP
It's possible, but it's a hella lot of paperwork, fees, inspections, and whatnot. Also most auto manufacturers won't honour the warranty cross-border (if there is one left).

Also some cars just can't be imported, due to the difference in safety standards. Tesla, for example.

I drove my wife's Honda Fit to work all this week while my Prius is waiting for a spare tyre. Overall about 400 miles that was 80% county highway and 20% small town. I really enjoyed it, and managed 51.5 MPG on the car meter (with effort.)

Small cars are wonderful.

I don't know about the meter but I average 35mpg real world in my 09 Fit. Originally got 38 but the meter would say 40ish. No idea how you could manage 51

Are you sure it's still 80 miles?

The newer ones offered a bigger battery option. Mine is the 24 kWh battery and at 100% says 84 miles. The guy I got it from said he could get near 100 in eco mode but that's no fun to drive. I love the acceleration from 0-30 around town. It will do until I get the 3.

I have a 2015 Volt and had it now for just over a year. I will trade it in once I get the Model 3. Have made it 13,000km on the one tank of gas so far and still have about 8,000km to go based on how I charge. I have a free charger at work and L1 charge it at home so my work commute (121km a day) is all battery. Love it! Will love it more when I trade up to the sexy Model 3!

I ended up getting a steal of a deal for it.. Was $46,000 but they had a website pricing mistake and I got it for $39k minus $8500 government rebate and my $21,000 trade in.. only $170 a month right now can't complain!