Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Should I do? Dealer Inventory or Used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like the opinion of forum members. First, I have little patience in terms of waiting to purchase a vehicle so ordering is not an option. My local dealership has located a fully loaded black on black that would be here by the end of the month. I provided them with the $2,500 deposit and have submitted all the financing information and have approval. Discount was about $4,500 and with the $1,000 code it puts the total price of the vehicle at $144,450. Just yesterday I located a used 2016 Signature Model X a few states away that has about 1,000 miles on it that I could get for $130,000. Has all of the options on it that the black one has just a different exterior and wheel color. I assume it wasn't put through all of the 'ludicrous' launches that the inventory/test drive vehicle probably was.

Should I opt for the Signature model because of the cost savings and ability to get it sooner or should I wait on the dealer inventory vehicle? Not too familiar with the Signature model other than that comes pretty fully loaded. Are these more sought after and might hold their value better/longer?

I would suspect there's a market for people interested in getting the Signature branding- at only a 1000 miles it might be worthwhile. I've looked over the Tesla "new" inventory and many of them have that many miles on them anyway (have you asked the milage of the one at the dealer?)

Also if you are to get the Signature model, you'd lose your deposit correct? I guess just factor that into the price- it seems like a pretty good deal but honestly I'm not sure.

"Signature" is on the chrome strip across the rear that also has TESLA on the back and also on the side marker badges on both right and left front fenders. All are difficult to see from a distance. Is the Signature Sig Red? If so that would be something of a collector item as there apparently will not be any more Signature versions, at least of the Model 3, so presumably that color will be retired.

All - thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. I believe you have convinced me to wait on the dealer inventory car. I happened to get an email this morning stating that they have "begun the process for arranging transport." The vehicle will be coming from New England area to Northern Virginia. Any feel for how long the wait will be now?

Reactions: GFORCED
Would like the opinion of forum members. First, I have little patience in terms of waiting to purchase a vehicle so ordering is not an option. My local dealership has located a fully loaded black on black that would be here by the end of the month. I provided them with the $2,500 deposit and have submitted all the financing information and have approval. Discount was about $4,500 and with the $1,000 code it puts the total price of the vehicle at $144,450. Just yesterday I located a used 2016 Signature Model X a few states away that has about 1,000 miles on it that I could get for $130,000. Has all of the options on it that the black one has just a different exterior and wheel color. I assume it wasn't put through all of the 'ludicrous' launches that the inventory/test drive vehicle probably was.

Should I opt for the Signature model because of the cost savings and ability to get it sooner or should I wait on the dealer inventory vehicle? Not too familiar with the Signature model other than that comes pretty fully loaded. Are these more sought after and might hold their value better/longer?

Tesla will fix everything even replace the windshield if it has the ghosting problem. If it were me and the MX was the "Signature Red" in color I would be really tempted to get it. If it's not the Signature Red, then I would just get the inventory car and leverage the Federal Tax Credit. Oh, any you can use MY referral code and save yourself another $1,000. :)

Reactions: madodel
does that include;
wind noise?
body / molding alignment?
windshield ghosting?
Wind noise and body molding alignment seem to be taken care of mostly when people report it and are diligent.

Unfortunately I see no change on the ghosting issue. It appears all the cars may have it and seating position seems to be the biggest factor in it being an issue or not.

I will not go with any signature model or even any VIN under 3000, just to be safe. You want to check those things because having intermittent door issues, body panel alignment issues, FWD issues, window issues are more than enough to stay away from them. If i were you, get the inventory car with VIN later than 3000. Good luck!