Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I expect from a MCU replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times in the last few weeks I got message: "Systems are powering up..." and nothing else was happening. Reboot (sometimes multiple reboots), fixed the issue but after a few days it came back.

Service Center says that my Dec 2016 S 75D needs MCU replacement and they will do it (under warranty).

What should I expect or what should I check after the replacement? Anyone with experience on this? Any horror stories?

IMG_2793 2.jpg

Expect a new MCU that hopefully doesn't have the issues of the old one.

Definitely don't expect a MCU2 replacement for your MCU1 unit like the poster above suggests might happen, because it certainly won't.

Look for trim alignment and damage after the replacement. That's about it.

Reactions: jlv1
MCU replaced. Part number and description (according to the invoice) is: MCU NA PREMIUM MODEL S/X (1045006-00-D)

So is that an MCU1 or MCU2? I am having a similar problem, intermittent, but have a service appt in a couple of weeks. They did not want to remotely fix the problem, as it could brick the car. Car drives fine, but MCU is very slow and needs reboots. They told me the processor is constantly crashing behind the scenes...