Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I look at on a roadtrip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going on my first road trip in a few hours. 500 miles with several superchargers. What screen should I look at to make sure I do not run out of charge? Do you guys have the car set to show you miles left or % left?

Two things: 1. The map with Nav running. It displays the distance to your destination. 2. The energy graph, be cause it shows your remaining range based upon the last 5,15 or 30 miles of driving. Make sure the range always exceeds to distance to your destination.

You will find the car vociferously warns you about not making it somewhere. Unless you ignore all the warnings, you will be fine.

I would suggest playing with abetterrouteplanner.com, but if you are a few hours from departure, it is too late to get in to that tool.

Just plug your destination in nav and set energy window to one of your views in screen let car do the rest :oops:..I personally after driving three Tesla’s have always used percent shown

Just put in your destination, let the car navigate you from one supercharger to the next, and don’t worry about it. You’ve obviously looked at a map ahead of time if you know there are several superchargers on the way, so you know where you’ll be stopping. With highway driving in a Model X expect you’ll have about 20% less range than what the battery meter tells you.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I used to have to rely on the energy app, way back in 2014, before they added the energy estimate into the Navigation screen. That was a little bit of a pain having to keep changing screens, because I wanted to keep Navigation up, plus music, but I would have to keep switching one of them every once in a while to check on the energy estimate.

Now that it shows the remaining battery % at the bottom of your navigation directions, you don't need the energy app anymore. I just keep an eye on that % number in Nav and try not to let it get below 15% or low teens for most of the trip. So I may need to turn my cruise control down one or two miles per hour and then watch that percent number for a few minutes if it's dropping below my comfort level some.

I used to have to rely on the energy app, way back in 2014, before they added the energy estimate into the Navigation screen. That was a little bit of a pain having to keep changing screens, because I wanted to keep Navigation up, plus music, but I would have to keep switching one of them every once in a while to check on the energy estimate.

Now that it shows the remaining battery % at the bottom of your navigation directions, you don't need the energy app anymore. I just keep an eye on that % number in Nav and try not to let it get below 15% or low teens for most of the trip. So I may need to turn my cruise control down one or two miles per hour and then watch that percent number for a few minutes if it's dropping below my comfort level some.

Rocky is right; however, he must not have middle age onset presbyopia. The typeface is too small for me to read clearly over a long distance without taking my eyes off the road and leaning into the touchscreen. I rely upon the energy graph which is around three times larger and easy on the old orbs.

The energy graph is dynamic in that it will adjust the estimated reserve based upon your driving style for that leg. The actual estimate will be in green, turning to yellow at 20%, and the turning to red at 7% or less. The initial estimate when you dialed in your destination stays on the graph in grey. You can easily see at a glance whether your driving style is better than the original estimate (the line is above the grey line) or worse than the original estimate (the line is beneath the grey line.)

I like having the energy screen up and just keep my music display on the IC. This works well unless you're actually constantly switching media sources, which I'm guessing is your case.

You're kind of scaring me that you're driving without glasses then.

Why, Rocky?

Just because I cannot see clearly something that is two feet away in eight-point type does not mean that my distance vision is poor. In fact, my left eye is 20/15, and my right eye is 20/20. Get 'em checked every year. My ophthalmologist has no issues with me driving without prescription lenses, and I trust his judgment more than yours.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

Reactions: jboy210 and bmah