Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I look for or ask when I go pick up my used 90D Tesla model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be picking up the used model S 90D

It is a 2016 model with 9,378 miles, newer front end, clean record with no accident or repair for $63,200

I bought it because I think it is a fair deal considering low mileage and newer front end.

Should I be concerned over anything? This will be my first Tesla.

Hope for some advices from veteran owners here. Thank you.

| Tesla

I will be picking up the used model S 90D

It is a 2016 model with 9,378 miles, newer front end, clean record with no accident or repair for $63,200

I bought it because I think it is a fair deal considering low mileage and newer front end.

Should I be concerned over anything? This will be my first Tesla.

Hope for some advices from veteran owners here. Thank you.

| Tesla

Does it have autopilot 1 or 2?

If AP2, you should find out if it has enhanced autopilot or full self driving option installed. (Software)

Definitely low mileage for the year. I have a 2017 S 90D with over 30k miles.

Look for any damages that are not documented or shown in pics, you can always complain about those later and get them fixed since you were not aware of those, also, after you accept, do a quick test drive for any abnormal sounds, motor whining etc. Also check if both screens are OK (no bubbles, no yellow edges etc) overall check for interior condition and exterior, door handles... anything that not documented and mentioned before your purchase should be fixed by Tesla (of course if those are not usual wear and tear that any used car has) My current 29k miles 2014 S85 is my first experience as well, and so far 5 star experience with delivery and SC warranty repairs, just be reasonable.
Since I got my car, April 27 2019, Tesla replaced door handles, motor, sun roof, both screens and got another app for windshield replacement. Be reasonable and they will take care of you :)

I do not know whether it has auto pilot 1 or 2 because it does not say it on the description page of the used inventory at Tesla.com

This is its description:

• Autopilot with convenience features
  • Free Supercharging
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • HEPA Air Filtration System
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink

Reactions: SO16
Look for any damages that are not documented or shown in pics, you can always complain about those later and get them fixed since you were not aware of those, also, after you accept, do a quick test drive for any abnormal sounds, motor whining etc. Also check if both screens are OK (no bubbles, no yellow edges etc) overall check for interior condition and exterior, door handles... anything that not documented and mentioned before your purchase should be fixed by Tesla (of course if those are not usual wear and tear that any used car has) My current 29k miles 2014 S85 is my first experience as well, and so far 5 star experience with delivery and SC warranty repairs, just be reasonable.
Since I got my car, April 27 2019, Tesla replaced door handles, motor, sun roof, both screens and got another app for windshield replacement. Be reasonable and they will take care of you :)

How did you have so many wrong things on your car? What were the issues exactly?

Look for any damages that are not documented or shown in pics, you can always complain about those later and get them fixed since you were not aware of those, also, after you accept, do a quick test drive for any abnormal sounds, motor whining etc.

Do I ask for a test drive BEFORE signing the paper work and payment or do I do a test drive after they give me the key and after payment?

AP1
Can't see the listing, but Congrats! When do you pick it up?

I will pick it up tomorrow Thursday 5/16 at around 5 pm. The evening hour will still be bright enough to check for exterior/interior defects.

It will be in San Diego where I live so it saves me $2,000 in shipping cost.

By the way, can I upgrade from AP1 to AP2 and is it worth it to upgrade?

Weird that all of those things had to be replaced so soon- if they were existing issues you'd think the previous owner would've had them addressed but oh well.

Question on the quick test drive-- what's the purpose since at that point you've already signed and paid for the car, right? Is it any easier to get them to fix things if you catch it immediately after picking up the car?

How did you have so many wrong things on your car? What were the issues exactly?
Just how it was delivered.
Rear motor whining (new motor installed)
Driver side door handle didn't work (door handles replaced)
rear right passenger door handle wasn't aligned
Screens had air bubbles (screens replaced)
sun roof weather strip was pretty much gone (side panels replaced )
and now waiting for another SC visit to get my windshield replaced due to delaminating (air bubbles all around the glass)
Not critical tbh, took them a week to get it fixed, I guess that is why price was good ($32k for 2014 S85 with 29k miles, tech package, air susp, premium lighting etc)
Do I ask for a test drive BEFORE signing the paper work and payment or do I do a test drive after they give me the key and after payment?
nope, no test drives before you sign paper work, plus my car was delivered to me, so there was no reason for me to say no, especially when everything is under warranty and can be fixed.

Weird that all of those things had to be replaced so soon- if they were existing issues you'd think the previous owner would've had them addressed but oh well.

Question on the quick test drive-- what's the purpose since at that point you've already signed and paid for the car, right? Is it any easier to get them to fix things if you catch it immediately after picking up the car?

I think they didn't really care tbh, I'm glad they took car of my car, it looks and feels good, just those regular tesla issues

as soon as you find any issue and let SC know is better, doesn't matter if it is right away or a week, just asap :)

Just how it was delivered.
Rear motor whining (new motor installed)
Driver side door handle didn't work (door handles replaced)
rear right passenger door handle wasn't aligned
Screens had air bubbles (screens replaced)
sun roof weather strip was pretty much gone (side panels replaced )
and now waiting for another SC visit to get my windshield replaced due to delaminating (air bubbles all around the glass)
Not critical tbh, took them a week to get it fixed, I guess that is why price was good ($32k for 2014 S85 with 29k miles, tech package, air susp, premium lighting etc)

nope, no test drives before you sign paper work, plus my car was delivered to me, so there was no reason for me to say no, especially when everything is under warranty and can be fixed.

I think they didn't really care tbh, I'm glad they took car of my car, it looks and feels good, just those regular tesla issues

as soon as you find any issue and let SC know is better, doesn't matter if it is right away or a week, just asap :)
Do you have to find all these issues when it’s deivered in front of the delivery guy? Or will they let you come in weeks later with issues?

I will pick it up tomorrow Thursday 5/16 at around 5 pm. The evening hour will still be bright enough to check for exterior/interior defects.

It will be in San Diego where I live so it saves me $2,000 in shipping cost.

By the way, can I upgrade from AP1 to AP2 and is it worth it to upgrade?

Congrats on your new car. Don't let anyone scare you!I'm sure you'll have a smooth delivery.

As long as the car's exterior is in good condition, your local service center can take care of any other issues covered by the warranty.

Enjoy your new car and post a picture!

Thank you Robg. That is quite a long check list LOL.

For sure. Based on some reports here, it seems that they do a "0 point" inspection on the cars before deliverin
Do you have to find all these issues when it’s deivered in front of the delivery guy? Or will they let you come in weeks later with issues?

From what I've gathered reading other threads, the stuff you want to catch upfront are cosmetic issues that weren't in the pics or missing items (such as a second key, mobile charger, etc). Since those won't be covered under the warranty, it's best to get something in writing ("a due bill") from the delivery person that you can take to your local service center to have the issues addressed. It sounds like its pretty common to get verbal assurances with no follow-through. Some people push to get the cosmetic issues addressed before they sign the paperwork (opting to delay the delivery), so that they have some leverage should the repairs no be up to par.

Personally, I think i'd want to take that approach and if there were other mechanical or electronic issues I'd noticed I'd push to have those fixed before taking delivery as well (again, cause I'd have more leverage and they might be quicker about repairing those things vs after signing and taking delivery). Even with no cosmetic issues, I'd want any really annoying issues taken care of before accepting delivery as well (like power sunroof doesnt' open, broken door handles, etc)