TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Should I Tell the Tint Installer re: the Automatic Window Movements ?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Jun 26, 2018.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I've read here that it is not so uncommon for other model cars to also have this window dance that occurs when the door is opened and closed, but I"d like to inform the installer of any quirks of a Model 3 and to get the best installation possible. Since the installer is inside the car and presumably places the film on a window that is raised to the top, I imagine that as s/he exits the car using the regular button click, the window rolls down and may disrupt the yet to dry film. And then each time I enter/exit the car the same rub occurs.

Should I tell them to use the manual release lever instead, and not close the door all the way ?
    I'm unsure because it seems like a lot for an installer to care about and remember; and Tesla warns that use of the manual lever may cause damage.

Other, or better advice ?

2. paladinfello

paladinfello Member

Most shops know how to trick the door into thinking its closed by placing something in the door latch. Door latch registers as being closed and the window goes up. No need for manual door release.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. kengchang

kengchang Member

This is quite common in frameless door, nothing new at all.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. silentsnow31802

However check your bright work for scratches after you get the car back before you leave the tint shop. If they trick the window into thinking its up and close the door it will scratch the bright work. This happened on both mine and a friends cars. Luckily the tint shops were understanding and paid for the repairs.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

all frameless doors are like that, otherwise the seals wouldn`t fit.
    The shops know that, no worries there.

6. SageBrush

Thanks. What is the 'bright work' ?

7. pcpro

pcpro Member

Just remind them to change the door back so the windows roll down BEFORE they shut the door. Especially the back door. Your chrome trim will get scratched badly. Not a guarantee they'll forget, but do everything possible to get it stuck in their heads.
    Another thing i saw yesterday: if you're doing the rear window, their "solution" can drip down between the center tail light and the window because it's not sealed.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

The chrome trim around the windows.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Remind them that the door contains electronics to watch for water getting in there.

• Informative x 1
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Remind them that the door contains electronics to watch for water getting in there.

11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Nothing, all frameless doors come down a little. Had it back in 2003 on my MINI Cooper S. Nothing new. If your installer needs you to remind them you should find someone else who’s more experienced.

12. PIEric

PIEric Member

My tint guy told me not to open the windows for 2 days, I told him that every time you open the door that it will go down about 2 inches..he said he knows about it and he used a heat lamp on top/edge of the windows so it should be ok..

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. SageBrush

Hmm. I was imagining that the bottom would also be a problem.

14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Too small of an area. Not enough to rub to be an issue.

• Like x 1
  15. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

frameless doors aren't unique to Tesla. My 2002 BMW M3 had it. If they are a professional shop, the windows are nothing for them. The giant rear window, they might have a little struggle with that.

• Like x 1