Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Should I Tell the Tint Installer re: the Automatic Window Movements ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I've read here that it is not so uncommon for other model cars to also have this window dance that occurs when the door is opened and closed, but I"d like to inform the installer of any quirks of a Model 3 and to get the best installation possible. Since the installer is inside the car and presumably places the film on a window that is raised to the top, I imagine that as s/he exits the car using the regular button click, the window rolls down and may disrupt the yet to dry film. And then each time I enter/exit the car the same rub occurs.

Should I tell them to use the manual release lever instead, and not close the door all the way ?
I'm unsure because it seems like a lot for an installer to care about and remember; and Tesla warns that use of the manual lever may cause damage.

Other, or better advice ?

However check your bright work for scratches after you get the car back before you leave the tint shop. If they trick the window into thinking its up and close the door it will scratch the bright work. This happened on both mine and a friends cars. Luckily the tint shops were understanding and paid for the repairs.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Just remind them to change the door back so the windows roll down BEFORE they shut the door. Especially the back door. Your chrome trim will get scratched badly. Not a guarantee they'll forget, but do everything possible to get it stuck in their heads.
Another thing i saw yesterday: if you're doing the rear window, their "solution" can drip down between the center tail light and the window because it's not sealed.