Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I use on my new Tesla? A Wax, a Paint Sealant or a Permanent Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nowadays we find ourselves wondering on what kind of protection we should apply on our new or existing vehicle. Yes there are many choices, but which one is best for me? Well,it all comes down to 3 categories. Waxes, paint sealants and permanent coatings. Below is an explanation of such products and their actual time of protection.

Waxes -
Generally defined as any product that contains a natural or synthetic waxy ingredients that are intended to protect and add beauty to the paint. These types traditional waxes will wear off under repeated washings and exposure to the environment.
1-3 months of protection

Paint Sealants - Generally defined as any protection product that contains man-made or synthetic ingredients that are intended to protect and add beauty to the paint. These traditional sealants will wear off under repeated washings and exposure to the environment.
5-8 months of protection

Coatings - Generally defined as any paint protection product that contains man-made or synthetic protection ingredients that are intended to permanently bond to the paint to both provide a barrier/coating of protection as well as create a high gloss finish. The products are considered permanent coatings because like your car's paint, they cannot be removed unless you purposefully remove them or neglect them.
2-10 years of protection and high gloss. Many offered with warranty.

Hope this helps on choosing the right protection for your new or existing Tesla.

I use the Griot's product line on my Roadster. I wax the car once or twice a year, then use their spray-on wax every time I wash it - the water sheets off immediately, making drying a breeze. Between washes (our car is yellow and gets dirty easily) I use their speed shine product. It takes me 5 minutes to wipe down the car and it looks like it has just been waxed. Some of the Griot's line is available at Advanced Auto Parts, but I usually look for a sale and buy with a friend to take advantage of their price breaks.

I am sure that there are other similar products from other companies that are equivalent.

I just used some ICE Premium Care spray on wax after washing mine the other day. It seems to work well and is easy to apply and remove. They say to use micro-fiber cloth to apply with. The one area you really want to wax each time after washing are the headlight units. Apparently it helps prevent aging (yellowing) of the headlights. Better still keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

There have been several threads on this: see here, here, and here, for example. You can search for, say, "sealant" or "wax" in the search field above and get a number of others.

But the definitive thread is by artsci, who tested several aluminum panels by applying different sealants on them (no waxes), exposing them to weather, and measuring their gloss with a meter at various points in time to determine endurance. In short, his conclusion was that Glare Polish Pro outlasted and outshined the competitive sealants.

Note that sealants are easier to apply and last longer than waxes. Note that paste waxes last longer than liquid waxes. For years the wax of choice was carnauba, which is what I have always used on my BMWs and Porsches. But I am sufficiently impressed by artsci's experiment to switch to Glare.

Last edited:
But the definitive thread is by artsci, who tested several aluminum panels by applying different sealants on them (no waxes), exposing them to weather, and measuring their gloss with a meter at various points in time to determine endurance. In short, his conclusion was that Glare Polish Pro outlasted and outshined the competitive sealants.

Note that sealants are easier to apply and last longer than waxes. Note that paste waxes last longer than liquid waxes. For years the wax of choice was carnauba, which is what I have always used on my BMWs and Porsches. But I am sufficiently impressed by artsci's experiment to switch to Glare.

Based on artsci's thread referenced above, I decided to go with Glare Polish Pro on my black Model S. it was extremely easy to apply - I have posted my experience here: Pro Honda Glare Professional - Page 2

Did you guys do any paint correction or clay bar before applying the Glare product? And did you do it by hand or using an orbital buffer or any kind?
I did not use any clay bar or paint correction - my car was only 2 weeks old (new?:)) when i applied Glare. I did check my paint carefully and did not find the need for paint correction. I applied by hand even though I have a Porter Cable orbital buffer.

Did you guys do any paint correction or clay bar before applying the Glare product? And did you do it by hand or using an orbital buffer or any kind?

A paint correction should only be done when necessary. Best way to see if your car needs to be polished or corrected is by putting the car in a dark garage and inspect the paint with a flashlight, it will show you a lot of the scratches you don't normally see.

Just because your paint looks clean, it doesn't mean it is. You should clay your vehicle so that the new coat of wax adhere to the paint as it should and gives you the time of protection that is supposed to.

Wax can be applied by hand but for best results a dual action polisher such as Porter Cable or Griots Garage is highly recommended.

*Note- claying a vehicle can leave behind light marring that can be safely removed by using a paint cleaner or light polish.

So I washed a quarter panel of my 9-month-old Model S with Dawn last night to remove the JUST APPLIED carnauba wax, chamoised it dry, let it sit for a few minutes, and hand-applied two coats of Pro Honda Glare with several microfiber towels. (No doubt some purists will be appalled.)

Result: quarter panel looks identical to the waxed panels adjacent to it in terms of gloss and "depth". But the surface is noticeably slicker to the touch (as I would expect from a hard finish product like Glare).

Now the question is duration of protection vs. the waxed panels.

So I washed a quarter panel of my 9-month-old Model S with Dawn last night to remove the JUST APPLIED carnauba wax, chamoised it dry, let it sit for a few minutes, and hand-applied two coats of Pro Honda Glare with several microfiber towels. (No doubt some purists will be appalled.)

Result: quarter panel looks identical to the waxed panels adjacent to it in terms of gloss and "depth". But the surface is noticeably slicker to the touch (as I would expect from a hard finish product like Glare).

Now the question is duration of protection vs. the waxed panels.

Time will give you the answer you're looking for. :)

I use the Black Light (which is good for any darker color--like your grey) polish http://www.chemicalguys.com/Hybrid_V7_Black_Light_Car_Kit_p/hol_151.htm (easy on and off), then apply wax, I use this for my black car http://www.chemicalguys.com/BLACK_CAR_WAX_FOR_BLACK_CARS_p/wac_307_1.htm (which will work with grey as well) or you could use this http://www.chemicalguys.com/Lava_Luminous_Glow_Infusion_Epic_Shine_Formula_p/wac_310.htm . Use the V7 (in the first kit) as everyday cleaner with micro fiber, or between washes.

My cars shine like no tomorrow with these products. Use to use Zaino and gave up on them.

I use the Black Light (which is good for any darker color--like your grey) polish http://www.chemicalguys.com/Hybrid_V7_Black_Light_Car_Kit_p/hol_151.htm (easy on and off), then apply wax, I use this for my black car http://www.chemicalguys.com/BLACK_CAR_WAX_FOR_BLACK_CARS_p/wac_307_1.htm (which will work with grey as well) or you could use this http://www.chemicalguys.com/Lava_Luminous_Glow_Infusion_Epic_Shine_Formula_p/wac_310.htm . Use the V7 (in the first kit) as everyday cleaner with micro fiber, or between washes.

My cars shine like no tomorrow with these products. Use to use Zaino and gave up on them.

Cool. Thanks! Off to research.... :)