Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I recall, you have a particularly long commute--and some times it's a cold commute. This probably keeps the algorithm close to correct. It's not surprising that you don't see any change.

I used to have a 90 mile or so round trip, mostly freeway commute, but retired at the end of 2015. I went back to work this past March and now have a 30 mile or so round trip commute, but less freeway on my drive now.

I'm going to be leaving my M60/75 for about 6 weeks in the summer where the temperature is likely to be around 35c most days. The car will be plugged in, and I am wondering what charge limit would be ideal?

It sure would be nice if Tesla would publish a definitive article that explains battery care - what Tesla has built into the car battery management system, and what the owners can do to maximise the care of their battery. Does something like this exist?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I'm going to be leaving my M60/75 for about 6 weeks in the summer where the temperature is likely to be around 35c most days. The car will be plugged in, and I am wondering what charge limit would be ideal?

I would set it for 50% since it will be plugged in, that's pretty much the advice I have gathered for longer time parking. If you need it as soon as you return, you could just start a higher charge from the app.

It sure would be nice if Tesla would publish a definitive article that explains battery care - what Tesla has built into the car battery management system, and what the owners can do to maximise the care of their battery. Does something like this exist?
Have you read the battery section of the owners manual?

Have you read the battery section of the owners manual?
Yes, and I just reread it to see if I missed anything. If the manual went into more detail beyond the extremes of killing the battery this whole thread which now consists of 25 pages would be unnecessary.

There are lots of details which the Nerd Tesla owner would appreciate as is clear by the volume of battery speculation and research is evident on this forum.

20% would be ideal, but remember you will lose 0.5 to 1% per day, even with low power mode. You don't want to let it go below 10%. If you can connect to the car from where you are, when you get to 10 charge it up to 30. For a trip that length you would have to do it once or twice. Then turn it on right before you get back.

I have kept my battery 20 to 40% most of its life and I have an 85D that has 274 miles at a full charge at 20k miles. It was only rated for 270 new. I keep my cars a long time and don't take unexpected long trips. 35c is a pretty high temperature, so I would keep the SOC low if you really want to prolong battery life.

Just picked up my Tesla yesterday, S75, daily drive around 60 miles. Plan to set max charge at 90%. For preserving battery life, should I charge everyday or just every other day? I figure if I don't use it more than 60 miles, I can use car for couple days and still have 50% left.

Thanks

Just picked up my Tesla yesterday, S75, daily drive around 60 miles. Plan to set max charge at 90%. For preserving battery life, should I charge everyday or just every other day? I figure if I don't use it more than 60 miles, I can use car for couple days and still have 50% left.

Thanks

Accoding to battery experts, it makes virtually no difference whether you charge a small amount more often, a large amount less often. In terms of battery life it makes little difference if you do more frequent and shallow charge cycles or less frequent, deeper charge cycles. What counts is the total amount of energy that was charged and discharged. In other words it makes no difference if you charge 60 miles every day or 120 miles every other day. For practical reasons most people would probably prefer to charge every night just in case they need the car for more.

As for what should be your ideal charge level, I think anything under 90% is good. Research has shown that the lower the state of charge on a battery, the less degradation you have in the long run. The worst would be to keep the battery at 100% all the time. The effect on degradation get smaller, though the lower the charge level. The difference between 100% and 90% is significant (for the battery life), the difference between 90% and 80% is still fair, but it's less, the difference between 80% and 70% is again smaller and so on. The slider in the Tesla only goes as low as 50% because below that level the difference is insignificant.

So what would be your ideal level? Depends on how much you need to drive every day. For example if you know you are only going to drive 60 miles it's perfectly fine to charge only to let's say 60%. In your car that's aprox 150 miles or range. Even if your energy usage is high on those 60 miles you will maybe use 80 miles of rates range. That leaves you with 70 miles of buffer when you come back home. If there is any chance that you need your car for more driving that day, charge to 70 or 80% or 90%.

Thanks for the feedback. Another question, if the car is not used for 1 wk, and if it has 85% to start with, would it be ok to leave it unplugged during this 1 wk period? With 1% usage per day, this will leave the car with 78% by the end of the week.

Thanks for the feedback. Another question, if the car is not used for 1 wk, and if it has 85% to start with, would it be ok to leave it unplugged during this 1 wk period? With 1% usage per day, this will leave the car with 78% by the end of the week.

I would definitely keep it plugged in! Set the slider to 50% but keep it plugged in, no matter what your state of charge is before you leave on a trip.

A connected Model S is a happy Model S

What are the Tesla delivery people doing? Certainly not explaining charging. It seems a question like this is posted every week.
TL;DR--Keep the car plugged in when you can, and let the battery management system manage the battery.

I'm thinking that the Delivery People can't be trusted to provide good information on this issue, as they have a vested interest in having owners have as much charge as possible all the time. Make sense?

Reactions: David99
OK, but if you have a choice you should plug it in.
As posted above-- A connected Model S is a happy Model S

Does any new owner RTFM? From the number of times this and similar questions are posted you would think the car doesn't come with instructions.
Of course we do but like JHuberman said, we want to know more and go further.

Reactions: mrtian97