Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh that's Jason, aka wk057 here on the forums. He most certainly knows his sh*t when it comes to Tesla, EV's, Batteries, and Solar. He's one of the OG Tesla hackers, added AP hardware to his wife's Pre-AP P85 just to prove it could be done, and then concluded that that it was WAAAAY too much work for Tesla to ever offer to the general public. I think he also upgraded/swapped the pack in that same car from a 85 to a 90 pack before anyone else knew if that was even possible.

Fully agree. Need to clone Jason and set him up in the Left Coast...

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm very thankful for his post to me saying they could replace the battery for 6k if I ever needed it. That's what sealed the deal for me getting an older S with high miles. If not for that, I would have been too scared to get my car because it totally tapped me out and can't afford it anyways. I was going to get a much older Cayenne to go with my 986 weekend cruiser. But with the more money spent on the S, I'll probably have to sell the Porsche which I'm fine with since I've only driven it a few times since I got the Tesla.

I appreciate the info too. Might keep the nose cone car and give it to my daughter if I can't shake this bad case of Plaid Envy I got...

Reactions: Jasper7821
I did get the OBD reader, adapter, and app. I think my battery is not doing too bad for 90k miles. This was after charging to 80% this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.PNG
    IMG_3271.PNG
    409.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3272.PNG
    IMG_3272.PNG
    397.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3273.PNG
    IMG_3273.PNG
    450.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3274.PNG
    IMG_3274.PNG
    451.6 KB · Views: 86
I did get the OBD reader, adapter, and app. I think my battery is not doing too bad for 90k miles. This was after charging to 80% this morning.

Not sure of your year and pack size, but if an 85 pack, sounds within the. Normal range.

I created a custom tab so I can see all the important stuff at a glance.

I see your pumps are 100%. Try charging to 77% so they will turn off.

Not sure of your year and pack size, but if an 85 pack, sounds within the. Normal range.

I created a custom tab so I can see all the important stuff at a glance.

I see your pumps are 100%. Try charging to 77% so they will turn off.
Thank you, 2014 P85+. I'll set it to 75% next time. Does that mean the pumps will not run, or stop after 77%. Those screenshots are at about 45 minutes after the charge to 80% was finished. Since it was overnight, I had it set to 15 amps charge rate.
I had thought charging at a slower rate was better for the battery.. But it seems from TeslaFi ii has a tiny bit worse efficiency charging slower, only 1/2kw so no big deal at all.

Thank you, 2014 P85+. I'll set it to 75% next time. Does that mean the pumps will not run, or stop after 77%. Those screenshots are at about 45 minutes after the charge to 80% was finished. Since it was overnight, I had it set to 15 amps charge rate.
I had thought charging at a slower rate was better for the battery.. But it seems from TeslaFi ii has a tiny bit worse efficiency charging slower, only 1/2kw so no big deal at all.
32 amp charging is efficient, 24 amp charging and below is not. While efficiency goes up with amps, there's not a lot of difference between 32 amps and 80 amps.

32 amp charging is efficient, 24 amp charging and below is not. While efficiency goes up with amps, there's not a lot of difference between 32 amps and 80 amps.
Thank you, the difference is barely anything. adding about 30% to the battery at 15 amps had a 89.9% efficiency. And at 48 amps it was 90.9% efficiency.
Since my car is a 2014 and 90k miles and probably will have it for years, I just want to anything that's not an inconvenience to preserve the battery. And since the cars sits overnight in the garage, I figured just charge it slow if it helped the battery at all.

Thank you, the difference is barely anything. adding about 30% to the battery at 15 amps had a 89.9% efficiency. And at 48 amps it was 90.9% efficiency.
Since my car is a 2014 and 90k miles and probably will have it for years, I just want to anything that's not an inconvenience to preserve the battery. And since the cars sits overnight in the garage, I figured just charge it slow if it helped the battery at all.

charging faster is gonna be better, because your car can sleep longer (or earlier) which saves around 250W/hr on the S.

If you set limit to 77% or below, the 4 pumps will run at about 28% during charging at L2 rates of 28-32A, and then shut off a few minutes after charging. Once the SoC hits 78%, the pumps will run at 100%, and stay that way until SoC drops to about 73%.

I find the drop in charging efficiency by running less than 32A at 235V is a few percent, rather not run 32A into the Telsa UL rated adapter(look at the fine print) of 31A, plus I like an extra 10% margin against cable heating and charge at 28A.

Thank you. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the car to sleep, per TeslaFi, my car has tons of sleep attempts but doesn't sleep. I played with the recommended settings but still can't get it to sleep.

I had quite the problem with that. My solution is to force deep sleep 22 hrs a day.

After a drive, the car stays awake a bit more. After a few days in the garage, it takes longer and longer naps...after a week, lose about 1-2 miles RR per day.

If you set limit to 77% or below, the 4 pumps will run at about 28% during charging at L2 rates of 28-32A, and then shut off a few minutes after charging. Once the SoC hits 78%, the pumps will run at 100%, and stay that way until SoC drops to about 73%.

I find the drop in charging efficiency by running less than 32A at 235V is a few percent, rather not run 32A into the Telsa UL rated adapter(look at the fine print) of 31A, plus I like an extra 10% margin against cable heating and charge at 28A.
Thank you, so you have yours set to 28A. I'll try that.
Consider regen can easily be 50Kw, I consider L2 charging up to 40Kw to not hurt the battery.

As @Candleflame mentioned, charging much slower has disadvantages. I'll add that one of them is increased wear on the inverter and charging system.
Ahh yes, the systems are running longer.

I had quite the problem with that. My solution is to force deep sleep 22 hrs a day.

After a drive, the car stays awake a bit more. After a few days in the garage, it takes longer and longer naps...after a week, lose about 1-2 miles RR per day.
Thank you. I also found out that with the OBD reader I was losing 4% per day at work. Now I unplug it and I've only lost 1% now.

Interesting. My reader (LX) does not do that. When the car sleeps, the port goes dark.

In fact I have to force the car awake to get SMT data.
I have the same reader I bought a few weeks ago. I noticed the car was losing more when plugged in.
I think I need to test further and not login to Teslafi while at work and try one day with it the reader plugged in and one day without. It's cooler now, so there's no overheat protection running so the car should be at idle all day.
Thanks again.

Thank you. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the car to sleep, per TeslaFi, my car has tons of sleep attempts but doesn't sleep. I played with the recommended settings but still can't get it to sleep.

kinda depends on the software version too. Atm for the 3 it takes 20-60min after a drive to fall a sleep. If you wake the car up, or dont drive it i.e. take something out of the car it takes 1-5min or so to fall back to sleep.
You can increase the default settings on teslafi, that said 15-25min should be plenty.

kinda depends on the software version too. Atm for the 3 it takes 20-60min after a drive to fall a sleep. If you wake the car up, or dont drive it i.e. take something out of the car it takes 1-5min or so to fall back to sleep.
You can increase the default settings on teslafi, that said 15-25min should be plenty.
Thank you, I have it set to 15

Attachments

• sleep.jpg
    sleep.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 102