Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm awaiting delivery of a CPO 2014 (#526xx) S85 w/32k miles. I tried to get ANY history of the car -especially charging history or diagnostics - from Tesla but their lips are sealed. Of course, I have huge concerns with battery bank condition/treatment to date. Any suggestions of how pry the info out of Tesla? Thanks
I really wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your car.

I'm awaiting delivery of a CPO 2014 (#526xx) S85 w/32k miles. I tried to get ANY history of the car -especially charging history or diagnostics - from Tesla but their lips are sealed. Of course, I have huge concerns with battery bank condition/treatment to date. Any suggestions of how pry the info out of Tesla? Thanks
I don't think you'll be able to get Tesla to release any vehicle history data, as their policies don't allow this. My guess is that they don't want to emphasize all of the repairs that had to be made to early cars. Honestly, I don't personally care, for instance, if the drive unit in a new-to-me car had to be changed multiple times as long as it isn't something I need to worry about now.

Before accepting delivery of our pre-owned 2012 Model S, I did insist on checking the number of miles of rated range relative to the battery state of charge. I simply wanted to verify that the battery capacity hadn't dropped a huge amount, and it hadn't. The battery was actually in remarkably good condition. And Tesla's service, when we have had issues, has been second to none.

Reactions: KJD
I don't think you'll be able to get Tesla to release any vehicle history data, as their policies don't allow this. My guess is that they don't want to emphasize all of the repairs that had to be made to early cars. Honestly, I don't personally care, for instance, if the drive unit in a new-to-me car had to be changed multiple times as long as it isn't something I need to worry about now.

Before accepting delivery of our pre-owned 2012 Model S, I did insist on checking the number of miles of rated range relative to the battery state of charge. I simply wanted to verify that the battery capacity hadn't dropped a huge amount, and it hadn't. The battery was actually in remarkably good condition. And Tesla's service, when we have had issues, has been second to none.
Thanks for your insights

Charge to what you think you will need the next day, plus some buffer "just in case". For some that only use 10-20% battery a day, keep it around 60%. Others drive 200 miles a day, in that case, 90% will be fine.

In general, if I don't plan on any crazy trips, I keep mine between 60-70%. If I know I need to use some miles up the next day, I'll bump it up as needed.

Everyone's uses are different, but 90% is safe as Tesla recommends.

Without having to go through all 26 pages of this thread - which I am sure has a lot of useful and great information - is there a consensus on what is a good general charge percentage limit for daily use? 80, 85, 90?
I think you should go through the 26 pages, then you can tell us what the consensus is.

• Funny
Reactions: ishareit
Lets say you lose 1 kWh/day from vampire losses (about 1% per day). For 2 weeks that would be about 14 kWh drain. You probably could go lower then 80%, but I don't think it matters. Dubai is hot so your vampire drain my be higher as the BMS works to keep the battery at the right temperature. Keep track of your drain to determine.

If I were to travel and leave the car back for two weeks, do I correctly assume that I'm better off leaving the battery empty-ish rather than fully (80%) charged?
Do you mean away without having the car plugged in? I'm also about to leave for 2 weeks, I'm leaving the car plugged in, but set to maintain a 50% charge. I'll probably leave town with it sitting around 80%, so it will slowly lose charge but not go below 50%.

If you aren't leaving it plugged in, then I would charge to 85-90% and let it sit.

My friend who is a Tesla service advisor, says to leave plugged in if you're away from home. Charging to 80% - 90% every day doesn't hurt the battery. Charge to 100% twice a month, no more or no less. This is very important for the algorithms. Otherwise you may see a drop in range.
"no more or no less"? Add that to stupid things Tesla people have said.
A point of clarification-- even if you "see" a drop in range, your range hasn't changed. It's just the estimate isn't as accurate. Probably not worth stressing the battery with an unnecessary 100% charge just so you see a 1 or 2 mile difference on the display that isn't relevant.

My friend who is a Tesla service advisor, says to leave plugged in if you're away from home. Charging to 80% - 90% every day doesn't hurt the battery. Charge to 100% twice a month, no more or no less. This is very important for the algorithms. Otherwise you may see a drop in range.
in my experience Tesla Service Advisors provide inaccurate, unreliable and inconsistent information. I think they have good intentions but the people with the good info (engineers in Freeman) don't share it.
Having said that, keeping your car plugged in to charge to 80-90% is fine but I'd question the "Charge to 100% twice a month, no more or no less" comment. Don't charge to 100% unless you need to for a trip or to rebalance and how can you charge to more than 100%?

in my experience Tesla Service Advisors provide inaccurate, unreliable and inconsistent information. I think they have good intentions but the people with the good info (engineers in Freeman) don't share it.
Having said that, keeping your car plugged in to charge to 80-90% is fine but I'd question the "Charge to 100% twice a month, no more or no less" comment. Don't charge to 100% unless you need to for a trip or to rebalance and how can you charge to more than 100%?
I think the no more no less refers to doing this 2x per month, not 100%...

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Perhaps you already have the car and are enjoying it. I would suggest to you and others buying CPO that you ask the question another owner posted: What is the 90% and 100%? And in email is better than just a verbal answer. But even then, what is displayed and what you actually experience can be dramatically different.

If I had to do one thing over/better at purchase of my CPO (June 2016) it would be to ask for these numbers, and walk away from the car if they were below 5-10% from rated/advertised. Tesla has all of the data and knows how well (or how poorly) the battery has been treated by the previous owner(s). In my opinion, withholding this information from a potential buyer is inexcusable. Some may have other words for that.

I love my car, but can you tell I've got a battery issue?