Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my Model S destination charger here is what I get:

240v at 40 amps on a 50 amp breaker.
Charging rate is 37 mph
Power rate utility co. $0.12/kWh
That’s not possible, that kW would add 29 miles of rated range/ hour. I know you insist it isn’t, but it really sounds like your display is set for ideal range rather than rated range. If it truly is set to rated range, try toggling it back and forth to ideal and back to rated, and reboot.

That’s not possible, that kW would add 29 miles of rated range/ hour. I know you insist it isn’t, but it really sounds like your display is set for ideal range rather than rated range. If it truly is set to rated range, try toggling it back and forth to ideal and back to rated, and reboot.

Please don’t respond to anymore of my post. I know what is going on with my Tesla and I know what happens when I charge my car. Thank you but I don’t need anymore of your suggestions.

With my Model S destination charger here is what I get:

240v at 40 amps on a 50 amp breaker.
Charging rate is 37 mph
Power rate utility co. $0.12/kWh

Please don’t respond to anymore of my post. I know what is going on with my Tesla and I know what happens when I charge my car. Thank you but I don’t need anymore of your suggestions.

Ignorance is bliss... perhaps you have a Model 3? :cool:
Here are the correct data points for Tesa charging rates:

InkedWall Connector specs_LI.jpg

Ignorance is bliss... perhaps you have a Model 3? :cool:
Here are the correct data points for Tesa charging rates:

View attachment 434746

I would say that chart is a good baseline, but not the exact charging rates. I've seen rates almost 20% higher than the chart shows.

My 2015 85D with dual onboard chargers charges at an average of 60mph with 100A circuit and 80A charge. I've seen as high as 62mph

I've attached a a couple example pictures. My car is set to display rated range.

6C492DEB-25AC-4967-9E8A-A05B69985747.jpeg

73D8A95E-3219-409A-86B0-B4548F64362A.jpeg

I would say that chart is a good baseline, but not the exact charging rates. I've seen rates almost 20% higher than the chart shows.

My 2015 85D with dual onboard chargers charges at an average of 60mph with 100A circuit and 80A charge. I've seen as high as 62mph

I've attached a a couple example pictures. My car is set to display rated range.

View attachment 436402

View attachment 436403
The old school dual charger (80 amp) Model S is becoming more and more a minority every day though.

View attachment 436402

View attachment 436403
That’s because the chart is for recently made cars, with 72A charger as the largest one available. Notice the 72A and 80A settings give the same value, as 80 A doesn’t charge any faster when it’s going into a 72 A charger.

Your dual charger early model S is of historical interest only.

I agree. I have a 2015 Model S 70D that will be 4 years old this October. My loss maximum travel miles has decreased from 285 to 283. I keep my charge level at 200 miles for daily which is roughly 70%. I still have over 5 years of warranty life left, so I am really not worried about it. i believe I can get 12 to 15 years out of this pack. I will have another Model S by that time or whatever Tesla current model monicker is available.
Or replace the pack at that time as it will be cheaper then a new car: i just hope they do have packs to change out in 8 years and dont say- sorry incompatible.!!!

I have read much about battery health and maintenance. I have a MS 100D and almost never need to charge to 100% beacause of it’s excellent range. 90% is the max I use and even then only for road trips. For daily travel, 70%.

My question is: if I never charge to 100%, is it bad for the health of the battery? I don’t really care about the accuracy of the range calculations as I only display percentage. I just want to make sure I don’t degrade the capacity of the battery more than usual.

I have read much about battery health and maintenance. I have a MS 100D and almost never need to charge to 100% beacause of it’s excellent range. 90% is the max I use and even then only for road trips. For daily travel, 70%.

My question is: if I never charge to 100%, is it bad for the health of the battery? I don’t really care about the accuracy of the range calculations as I only display percentage. I just want to make sure I don’t degrade the capacity of the battery more than usual.
Never charging to 100% is fine, the only thing that might happen is overtime the calibration might get a little out of wack, so your displayed range might not be as accurate. It has nothing to do with the condition of the battery, just how the BMS reads what range is available at a given state of charge.

My situation is similar to yours. In general about once every 8-12 months when I know I'm going on a trip I'll charge up to 100% before and leave immediately when it's full, driving a long distance to bring the battery back down. Again, this only helps to re-calibrate and get my range display back to a more accurate number, and has nothing to do with the condition of the battery itself. We aren't talking about 50 miles magically re-appearing, just a few miles usually pop back on. If you never go to 100% though no harm will come to the actual battery.

Never charging to 100% is fine, the only thing that might happen is overtime the calibration might get a little out of wack, so your displayed range might not be as accurate. It has nothing to do with the condition of the battery, just how the BMS reads what range is available at a given state of charge.

My situation is similar to yours. In general about once every 8-12 months when I know I'm going on a trip I'll charge up to 100% before and leave immediately when it's full, driving a long distance to bring the battery back down. Again, this only helps to re-calibrate and get my range display back to a more accurate number, and has nothing to do with the condition of the battery itself. We aren't talking about 50 miles magically re-appearing, just a few miles usually pop back on. If you never go to 100% though no harm will come to the actual battery.
On trips should you 1st charge to 100% and contimue charging to 100% the whole trip? or just the initial charge and then set at 90% cause you will likely just stop at SC along the way?

On trips should you 1st charge to 100% and contimue charging to 100% the whole trip? or just the initial charge and then set at 90% cause you will likely just stop at SC along the way?
You're going to be sitting at superchargers for a long time if you do either (90% or 100%). Use abetterrouteplanner.com to game out your trip and figure out how much charge you'll need in order to get from stop to stop.

You're going to be sitting at superchargers for a long time if you do either (90% or 100%). Use abetterrouteplanner.com to game out your trip and figure out how much charge you'll need in order to get from stop to stop.
Sorry i didnt mean to charge up to that 90 or 100 percent on the stops at SC on way to wisconsin. I will only charge enough to get to the next stop with at least 10-20% left.

Here's what the manual says for settings.

View attachment 427678

The chart is correct. I have the Tesla wall charging unit and it works great. I contacted Tesla and they advised for my Model S 70D that the maximum amps to provide quickest charging time is 48 amps. However that would require a 60 amp breaker. My electrical contractor advised based on all other consumption needed to run my house, that I limit that to a 50 amp which would provide 40 amps of charging to the Model S. I went with 240v, 40 amps and have an average charging mile rate of 35 to 37 mph and charge to 72% of range which puts me at 205 miles for daily driving. 100% charge puts me at 285 total driving range. (Daytime/nice roads/low wind/sunny no rain, avg speed 70 mph)

The chart is correct. I have the Tesla wall charging unit and it works great. I contacted Tesla and they advised for my Model S 70D that the maximum amps to provide quickest charging time is 48 amps. However that would require a 60 amp breaker. My electrical contractor advised based on all other consumption needed to run my house, that I limit that to a 50 amp which would provide 40 amps of charging to the Model S.

I went with 240v, 40 amps and have an average charging mile rate of 35 to 37 mph and charge to 72% of range which puts me at 205 miles for daily driving. 100% charge puts me at 285 total driving range.
(Daytime/nice roads/low wind/sunny no rain, avg speed 70 mph)

You keep posting bogus information and maintain that it is correct... perhaps you are confusing ideal range?