Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course it is. but the question is... is 0 - 70% better than 10-80%?

The commet of staying above 9% is easy but not every country has dense supercharger coverage like the USA. I.e. my nearest supercharger is 1350km away. So the cars see a lot of deep cycling from i.e. 95% to 3%.
Yes, 10-80% is better than 0-70% according to the Battery University article... How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

1617744450760.png
1617744506592.png

Any idea on what the real world experience is for Model Ss that have been in the field for many years and have had hundreds of charge cycles? Surely we should have a better understanding of how those batteries have degraded over time? I have had my car for 6.5 years and I am nowhere near a pioneer as people have had cars for several years longer and driver WAY more than me as I have only driven 65,000km in my time.

We do and there are lots of heavy cycled Model S with the highest one being Hansjoerg gemmingens model s85 which has 1.3 million km. (i think 800k km on the most recent battery). Hes got around 12% degradation. Model S has way less degradation than the 3. Most go down to around 5% after 1-2 year and 100k km and then just stay there for ages and slowly go down to 10%.

Last edited:
Interesting data... thanks for sharing.
Not according to this paper i posted earlier which suggested that even heavy current draw at <10% is kinder to the battery than cycles at i.e. 70%.
Though i am of course aware of the battery university article too.
Re-read the paper... the key point is you do not want to draw down your battery to 0%. The number of useful cycles will be dramatically reduced.

Interesting data... thanks for sharing.

Re-read the paper... the key point is you do not want to draw down your battery to 0%. The number of useful cycles will be dramatically reduced.

true 0% is bad but hopefully you will never get there as with the 1-2kwh brick protection and 4.5% buffer undervolting of individual cells (i.e. moving to 0.0%) should not happen. The evidence that 0.1% is harmful for a cell is imho quite limited. In fact, I looked at recommendations for storage of (ndustrial) lithium ion cells/batteries and quite a few manufacturers recommend discharging their batteries completely and then freezing them.

this paper suggests that driving a battery hard (4C discharge rate) at 15% SOC is more healthy than discharging it at 1C at 70%.

I am highly sceptical regarding the damage Teslas recieve at low SOC beyond the risk of undervolting the battery which imho is unlikely given the generous buffer and the power output limiter.

Yes, 10-80% is better than 0-70% according to the Battery University article... How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

View attachment 651462 View attachment 651463
I've been staring at those charts and read all the BU articles, but still couldn't see where 10-80% is better than 0-70%...

Part of the difficulty is that a lot of these charts count "cycles" in different ways. What you really want to know is capacity retention after the same amount of discharge energy... Also, what is the resting cell voltage at 100% and 0%? A difference in voltage at the low end could significant change the results

I'm curious what impact towing has on battery life. Let's say that towing something heavy causes the battery to drain 3 times the speed that it would drain under normal driving operations. Would that cause the same amount of degradation to the battery that a single regular drain cycle would have caused? I'm hoping that it's not that big of a deal, since supercharging speeds still far exceed draining speeds while towing, suggesting the battery can handle that kind of pressure.

Hello!
I just got my LR refresh and was wondering if I could get some guidance.
I have a 14-50 plug I use to charge to 80% but honestly I don’t plan on driving it everyday since I work from home.
Should I continue to charge to 80% or something lower?
Also, should I charge it slower since I don’t plan on using it often like turn down the amps?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Reactions: Nappypapi
Hello!
I just got my LR refresh and was wondering if I could get some guidance.
I have a 14-50 plug I use to charge to 80% but honestly I don’t plan on driving it everyday since I work from home.
Should I continue to charge to 80% or something lower?
Also, should I charge it slower since I don’t plan on using it often like turn down the amps?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

I personally feel like 80% is too high for a car that just sits. I'd say ideal is 50% but up to 70% would be better. Just my opinion.

Slower charging is supposedly better for the battery so, if you don't need the speed, turn it down. By the way, the updated app allows you to change amps remotely so you can default to slow charge and then turn it up when needed.

Reactions: kanye and Fiver
I mostly agree with Gavine. 80% isn't really that bad, 70% is better, but if you are a new owner you still probably haven't figured out your real driving habits yet so maybe start with 80% so you have a buffer, and as you get more comfortable with your daily driving (+ a little extra just in case) bring it down.

Personally these days I'm 60-40, then charging back to 60, but when above 50% I do leave the car plugged in when not in use (set to 50%). That way I can remotely start a charge should I realize I need more juice for a trip or for something later that day.

Reactions: gavine and kanye
I just bought a 2014 P85+ a few weeks ago, the few times I've charged to 100% for a trip, it charged to 243 so it's lost about 9% over the years. I'd like to preserve the battery as much as possible.
I charge now to 80% and recharge at about 20% every 3-4 days. It seems if I charge at the max 48amps it charges the quickest but has the least inefficiency according to Teslafi. If I charge at 20-25amps it does much better. So not sure if slower is better or not.
Also, some of the suggestions are to charge to 50% and charge more frequently. But does doing that effect battery life more due to increased charge cycles?

I just bought a 2014 P85+ a few weeks ago, the few times I've charged to 100% for a trip, it charged to 243 so it's lost about 9% over the years. I'd like to preserve the battery as much as possible.
I charge now to 80% and recharge at about 20% every 3-4 days. It seems if I charge at the max 48amps it charges the quickest but has the least inefficiency according to Teslafi. If I charge at 20-25amps it does much better. So not sure if slower is better or not.
Also, some of the suggestions are to charge to 50% and charge more frequently. But does doing that effect battery life more due to increased charge cycles?
Better to charge more often with shallower cycles. A full cycle is 100% to 0 to 100%. If you charge from 50% to 60%, that's only 1/10th of a cycle. It's not the quantity of charges as much as the depth of charges.

I think people are unnecessarily concerned about this. I was too.

60-70-80-90 are all fine. No meaningful degradation to the battery will happen in the entirety of your car ownership choosing one charge level over the other. Whatever battery degradation that will happen, if any, will still be far less than brain degradation due to stressing about this.

TL;DR:
This is probably true. Don't stress about the battery. The BMS will take care of it.

For myself, I follow Elons advice from years ago. Store the car at 50-62%, and try to keep the SoC during operation between 30-70%. If you can't stay in this range occasionally, no big deal.

However going over 95% makes no sense because you will loose regen and the pumps and AC will be running, reducing range. If you are really stuck somewhere, better to charge to 90% and go a bit slower.

Elon has since stated that there is nothing wrong with going below 20%, even zero is OK.

The above only applies to 18650 cells, and may not apply to the modified chemistry of the Refresh.

Anecdotal data point, since I started this practice, I am in the top 20% of battery capacity compared to cars of my age per Teslafi, see sig for details.

Good for you but you are clearly not a serious contender to this discussion.

The above advice from Elon was directed at an owner who asked, "I want to keep my car for 15-2O years, what should I do to maximize battery life"

Gadget's ride might be a good used car as the pack will have been well tested, a la Tesloop's fleet, provided it does not sit at 90% for weeks on end.