Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MX too, until I killed it with an update. Never had a problem with the reader keeping the car awake, but Teslafi would until I forced deep sleep.
Actually now my MX has something wrong with it. In the last week it seems to have been taking longer to startup. Usually if I went to a different app then back the initalizing adapter was only a few seconds. Then last night when coming back to the app it would say no response from OBDLink and I had to unplug it and plug back in to get it to work again. Noe this morning, even unplugging and plugging back in it says No response and it's connected to my phone.
And I did have the LX but it didn't work with Apple so I exchanged it for the MX.

Actually now my MX has something wrong with it. In the last week it seems to have been taking longer to startup. Usually if I went to a different app then back the initalizing adapter was only a few seconds. Then last night when coming back to the app it would say no response from OBDLink and I had to unplug it and plug back in to get it to work again. Noe this morning, even unplugging and plugging back in it says No response and it's connected to my phone.
And I did have the LX but it didn't work with Apple so I exchanged it for the MX.
I constantly had problems with the first MX until it died. They sent me a new one. Then I killed that one, and went with LX.

I tried a cheap one, that did not work at all.

After consulting the developer, went with the LX. It works most of the time, but occasionally drops out during a drive.

I constantly had problems with the first MX until it died. They sent me a new one. Then I killed that one, and went with LX.

I tried a cheap one, that did not work at all.

After consulting the developer, went with the LX. It works most of the time, but occasionally drops out during a drive.
I bought the MX+ for $99 on Amazon, now it's $119. Maybe I'll just buy the LX again (since it's $50 less) and get a cheap Android tablet to permanently keep in the car so I don't have to use my iPhone

Sorry but this is 43 pages now, so I did not read all of it.

My question is: Manual says 90% for my 2022 Model S Long Range. I keep hearing less is better, or do not exceed 80%. All I really need is maybe 60% for daily. My wife will not even need that. She could be fine probably with 40%.

So... Is less better? Is there a limit to this? Should I just go with the 90% like the manual says?

My question is: Manual says 90% for my 2022 Model S Long Range. I keep hearing less is better, or do not exceed 80%. All I really need is maybe 60% for daily. My wife will not even need that. She could be fine probably with 40%.

So... Is less better? Is there a limit to this? Should I just go with the 90% like the manual says?
Not critical, but best long term is “around” 50%. If you only drive 50 mi (20% used), then charge to 60% and discharge to 40% daily would be “best”. However, most people want a bit of buffer in case an emergency occurs. If you’re using 40% (100 mi or so), then charge to 80%, discharge to 40%. Personally, I leave my 2015D at 50%, sometimes for weeks, then top up to 80% the night before use. My daily driver is a 2011 Leaf. Both cars have kept more range because of this method (235 mi MS and 40 mi Leaf). For most people this is overkill, but I want things to last.:)

Less is better, very slightly, up to a point.

Do not store the car for extended periods at less than 50%. If you keep it plugged in the car will not let you charge less than that.

Ideal storage range, per Elon is 50-62% for the old MS with MCA 18650 cells. Ideal operational range 30-70%.

But again, very slight improvement, I'm about 2% more range than the rest of the pack on Teslafi.

Don't be like me and waste a couple of years fretting over the battery. Not worth it for the new cars like yours with no range gate, regen gate, charge gate, pump gate, etc...

I have generally kept mine at 60%. One thing I noticed is because the cells could not be balanced at this low state of charge, my degradation looked insane. I charged a few times to 100% and my total range increased by 10 miles, and my stated degradation is much less now.

Anyway, comparing to others, it appears the difference between charging to 60% and charging to 80% is negligible.

Reactions: Fiver and aerodyne
I have generally kept mine at 60%. One thing I noticed is because the cells could not be balanced at this low state of charge, my degradation looked insane. I charged a few times to 100% and my total range increased by 10 miles, and my stated degradation is much less now.

Anyway, comparing to others, it appears the difference between charging to 60% and charging to 80% is negligible.

Agreed...after 3 years pampering the pack, Negligible, visualized:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-115853.png
    Screenshot_20220303-115853.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Living in New England where it gets pretty cold in winter, I tend to keep it set to 70 or 75% and to generally plug it in most every day, even if I only use it for short trips. Otherwise I might end up needing it for a longer drive on a cold day and feeling like I might get uncomfortably low, In warm weather, I am more relaxed about it. I set it to 70 but sometimes let it run down for 2 or 3 days before I plug it in.

Precisely 73.423697852%. No more. No less.

Huncowboy: I'm with you, I started reading this forum hoping for some easy answers (foolishly). By the time I got to page 10 I was exhausted.

So here's my situation and my question.

SITUATION: (2017 Model S P90D) I live north of San Diego and my daily drive to work is 72 miles (ONE WAY) 144 round trip, and yes it can be a big PITA, but one of the biggest issues is if I do or do not hit the bad traffic times which increase battery usage! plus I'm driving up and down a lot of hills here in SoCal, On average it takes about 35% to get to work and 38-40% to get home, because of all of this I normally charge to 80% daily.

QUESTION: Is charging to 80% daily going to dramatically shorten my battery life? or should I lower my daily charge limit and just plan to stop on the way home for 20 minutes to add whatever percentage I need to get home?

BOTTOM LINE: my commute, without traffic, is already a little over an hour each way, I would rather not have to stop to charge and add to my commute time if I don't have to as long as I'm not killing my car. would love to hear some feed back from guys who are in this same situation or really know about what they are talking about and not just guessing.

Thanks for the help.

Huncowboy: I'm with you, I started reading this forum hoping for some easy answers (foolishly). By the time I got to page 10 I was exhausted.

SITUATION: (2017 Model S P90D) I live north of San Diego and my daily drive to work is 72 miles (ONE WAY) 144 round trip, and yes it can be a big PITA, but one of the biggest issues is if I do or do not hit the bad traffic times which increase battery usage! plus I'm driving up and down a lot of hills here in SoCal, On average it takes about 35% to get to work and 38-40% to get home, because of all of this I normally charge to 80% daily.

QUESTION: Is charging to 80% daily going to dramatically shorten my battery life? or should I lower my daily charge limit and just plan to stop on the way home for 20 minutes to add whatever percentage I need to get home?

BOTTOM LINE: my commute, without traffic, is already a little over an hour each way, I would rather not have to stop to charge and add to my commute time if I don't have to as long as I'm not killing my car. would love to hear some feed back from guys who are in this same situation or really know about what they are talking about and not just guessing.

Thanks for the help.

Per Elon, circa 2017 ish, negligible difference between charging to 70 vs 80 percent.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, in a perfect world you might charge to 50% at home and at work cycling between 50-10% 2x/day, but since it's not, just charge to whatever amount gets you home with a decent buffer, eg 80%.

All you can do is time the charge so that the charge finishes as close as possible as to when you normally leave so it spends as little time as possible at high SOC, perhaps using the departure timer.

Reactions: gavine and aerodyne

Thanks for the help.
Even charging to 90% daily is not going to make much difference on your battery life. But as said previously, finishing charging as close to departure time is best. How many rated miles does your battery give you at 80%? What was the rating in miles when new?