Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't drive much and I moved down to 80% from the factory setting of 85%. I also understand Fast Supercharging tends to cause more battery deterioration and we should not charge until the battery is down to 25%. With LR and if you are not going on long trips, keep it 80% should be fine to cover the just in case longer range driving need. Unless I am on the road, I avoid Supercharging as much as I can.

I don't drive much and I moved down to 80% from the factory setting of 85%. I also understand Fast Supercharging tends to cause more battery deterioration and we should not charge until the battery is down to 25%. With LR and if you are not going on long trips, keep it 80% should be fine to cover the just in case longer range driving need. Unless I am on the road, I avoid Supercharging as much as I can.
Today I drive s85 a trip beginning at 83% I thought and came home at 4% with a unbalance off 39mV 😳😱. 240K km odo

Can you tell why?
As the state of charge increases, the charge rate slows down to slow down and progressively gets slower as it approaches full charge. Letting the car sit at high or extremely low SoC and/or in high temperatures does have an impact. As does supercharging. Leaving your car at a high state of charge for an extended period of time is very bad.

So no point charging to 70% if you never will need that amount of range. At low SoC, you can charge at the rate of about 1000 miles of range per hour on a V3 super charger for a model 3. Don't remember off the top of my head for an S but probably about 800. Assuming it could maintain that speed from 0-100% but it can't. It is only realistic at lower SoC and with the battery at the appropriate temps. It needs to be at a certain temp to be able to charge at the maximum rate. If too hot it will have to slow down as well.

Reactions: FlatSix911
What is the impact?

Can you explain what is bad?
The higher the state of charge, the higher the degradation. So you should keep the battery at a low state of charge (at or below 50%) as much as possible, and only charge up higher when you need to. And if you need to charge to a higher level than 50%, do it just before you need to leave on a trip that requires it, such that the amount of time spent above 50% is minimized. See also: Calendar Aging of Lithium-Ion Batteries

Not really, just do a 5 minuter supercharger stop assuming one is near. I can't see it being that often for most people.

It took me a while to adjust to doing this all the time but now it is just second nature. If you have a wall connector you can add a fair amount pretty quickly.

There will always be a corner case where something doesn't work. I was concerned too about performance being really impacted at 40-50%. On the S it is still quick as heck. The 3 w/boost isn't quite as perky but still sub 4 sec 0-60 at 50% SoC.

I've now had my (well used) 2014 85 for a year. I have been charging to 80% and recently bumped to 82%(ish). Because I got my car from a dealer, I have no information on the PO and his charging habits. I often do 120 miles in a day...

Just turned 117K miles and a full cpacity charge (I've only done it once) took me over 260 miles estimated range. The car is only supercharged. Usually in the late afternoon/evening. No other charging. I'm getting from this thread that I should bump down my 'ceiling' on charging to around 50%.

This is especially pertinent to me since my 8-year battery/drivetrain warranty just expired.

Advice/comments welcomed.

I've now had my (well used) 2014 85 for a year. I have been charging to 80% and recently bumped to 82%(ish). Because I got my car from a dealer, I have no information on the PO and his charging habits. I often do 120 miles in a day...

Just turned 117K miles and a full cpacity charge (I've only done it once) took me over 260 miles estimated range. The car is only supercharged. Usually in the late afternoon/evening. No other charging. I'm getting from this thread that I should bump down my 'ceiling' on charging to around 50%.

This is especially pertinent to me since my 8-year battery/drivetrain warranty just expired.

Advice/comments welcomed.
I would strongly encourage you to drop to 50% if that will cover most of your driving needs. Since you just supercharge anyway, it should be much of an impact. Not to mention the charging rate is faster at a lower state of charge. I never charge my S over 50% except when I plan on going well over 100 miles in a day and want a bit of a buffer. Even then I'll just just enough extra to cover it and have about 10% when I get back home.

Another factor at play for me is charging, or having your battery at a high charge level, is bad in very hot temps. It has been in the 100's a lot and even in my garage, it is in the mid 90's so I wait to charge when at least it is cooler. In other states might not be an issue. You will experience significant degradation if you keep your battery at a high state of charge and at high temps. From everything I've read this about one of the worst things you can do. The lover the average state of charge (not being at 0) the better it appears for your battery and keeping your discharge cycles smaller. Obviously supercharger use is hard on the batteries but if that is your only option, you may not have a choice. I would also look at Tesla destination chargers or use L2 chargers when you call.

I would strongly encourage you to drop to 50% if that will cover most of your driving needs. Since you just supercharge anyway, it should be much of an impact. Not to mention the charging rate is faster at a lower state of charge. I never charge my S over 50% except when I plan on going well over 100 miles in a day and want a bit of a buffer. Even then I'll just just enough extra to cover it and have about 10% when I get back home.

Another factor at play for me is charging, or having your battery at a high charge level, is bad in very hot temps. It has been in the 100's a lot and even in my garage, it is in the mid 90's so I wait to charge when at least it is cooler. In other states might not be an issue. You will experience significant degradation if you keep your battery at a high state of charge and at high temps. From everything I've read this about one of the worst things you can do. The lover the average state of charge (not being at 0) the better it appears for your battery and keeping your discharge cycles smaller. Obviously supercharger use is hard on the batteries but if that is your only option, you may not have a choice. I would also look at Tesla destination chargers or use L2 chargers when you call.
Isn't it kinda late to go down to 50%? If the battery is going to be degraded since 2014, going to 50% will only cut the range even further. I had 2014 MS 85 which I traded in 2019. The bad news is the range was suffering but the good news is Super Charging was free.

Isn't it kinda late to go down to 50%? If the battery is going to be degraded since 2014, going to 50% will only cut the range even further. I had 2014 MS 85 which I traded in 2019. The bad news is the range was suffering but the good news is Super Charging was free.
As my mother would say "it's never too late for good habits." But seriously when you have even less range to play with, why not preserve what you have? Or use another analogy, when your bank account is low, aren't you more cautious with your money?

You can't do anything about the degradation do to time which impacts all batteries but when you look at the impact from high temps, high charge levels, etc. it appears to be pretty significant. The flip side is with a car this old, who knows how long the pack might last at this point. I tend to err on the safe side anyway. I don't mind using my equipment but I don't want to abuse it so to speak.

As my mother would say "it's never too late for good habits." But seriously when you have even less range to play with, why not preserve what you have? Or use another analogy, when your bank account is low, aren't you more cautious with your money?

You can't do anything about the degradation do to time which impacts all batteries but when you look at the impact from high temps, high charge levels, etc. it appears to be pretty significant. The flip side is with a car this old, who knows how long the pack might last at this point. I tend to err on the safe side anyway. I don't mind using my equipment but I don't want to abuse it so to speak.
Isn't there an 8 year warranty for the battery when it will kick in if the battery is degraded to less than 70%? May be it is worth pushing your battery to that point to get a replacement.