Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my new car rated range be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
first charge of my brand new P90DL, picked up at factory yesterday.

90% charge showed 244 miles rated range. 100% charge showed 277 mi. That's on a HPWC at 64a.

Does that seem right? What are others seeing in a P90DL?

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
The spec'd RM for a P90D should be 270, right? Sounds like you got a good pack. I don't have a 90, so have no comparisons to offer, but keep in mind that there are plenty of factors that will cause variations in the RM shown on the display (IMHO, none of which have anything to do with how you drive the car). The two biggest factors seem to be temperature and charging habits, which throws off the battery's calibration.

Be glad that your number is as high as it is, but don't sweat it as those max numbers will drop.

Reactions: chillaban
The spec'd RM for a P90D should be 270, right? Sounds like you got a good pack. I don't have a 90, so have no comparisons to offer, but keep in mind that there are plenty of factors that will cause variations in the RM shown on the display (IMHO, none of which have anything to do with how you drive the car). The two biggest factors seem to be temperature and charging habits, which throws off the battery's calibration.

Be glad that your number is as high as it is, but don't sweat it as those max numbers will drop.

I've got a 70D so I don't have direct comparisons to offer, but I will also say that when my car was delivered, it only charged to a max range of 235mi, which is 5 below rated. But over time, it's fluctuated to slightly over that the last time I tried a range charge. It looks like battery calibration is an ongoing process and results in small fluctuations to the estimate.

I think it's been said that sending the battery through a wider range of SoCs (e.g. 90% to 10% a few times) causes the battery to become more calibrated and produce more accurate range estimates. Not sure how true that is in practice, but being off by a few miles is not a huge deal.

At supercharger last night I managed to get my P90DL (pack model 1088792-00-A) to 275mi. rated @ 100%.

image.jpeg