Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should Waymo do next?

What should Waymo do next?

• Significantly expand the driverless area in Phoenix

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Launch commercial ride-hailing in other US cities (even with safety drivers initially)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Announce partnership with Automaker to sell L4 robotaxi direct to consumer

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Do a coast to coast fully driverless drive or other "demo" to show off technology

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Release more disengagement/safety data that shows safety level of Waymo Driver

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
Terre Haute, IN USA
Curious what people think. What should Waymo do next? What would impress you?

Answer poll:
1) Significantly expand the driverless area in Phoenix
2) Launch commercial ride-hailing open to public in other US cities (even with safety drivers initially)
3) Announce partnership with Automaker to sell L4 robotaxis direct to consumer
4) Do a coast to coast fully driverless drive or other "demo" to show off FSD capabilities
5) Release more disengagement/safety data to show safety level of Waymo Driver
6) Other (please specify)

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
All of the above. They wanted to expand in California but were thwarted by the government. So expanding in Phoenix or elsewhere would be good.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
Terre Haute, IN USA
I'm curious, what is preventing Waymo from rolling out driverless to every large metropolitan area? Do we know?

I think it is mostly making sure the safety is good enough. And each city can be different. Just because the Waymo Driver is safe in Phoenix does not necessarily mean it is safe enough in say NY or Detroit. So Waymo wants millions of autonomous miles in each city to validate safety first before rolling out driverless.

Reactions: whoosierdaddy

ThomasD

Nov 22, 2019
Breckenridge Co Ky
A contract with a nursing home to run residents to Dr appts, shopping Contract with the V A to transport Veterans to appointments and back home Equip the Vans with wheelchair carriers. Something like this

Click image to open expanded view
71zqC%2BtKJ-L._SL1500_.jpg

kaffine

Apr 1, 2016
Las Vegas
To me unless I can buy a car with it I'm not that interested. Ride hailing is a nice way to show it off but is too expensive for me to use all the time.

Depending on what the limits are with L4 I may not be interested in it either. If it is limited to Phoenix area it isn't going to do me any good in Vegas.

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
Existing for 11 years and currently loosing billions each year. Maybe they should plan a route to profitability?

I think this is probably one of the main factors that's keeping them from expanding. The customers are there, but my assumption is right now they are losing money on every ride and therefore expansion is extremely difficult because of increased cash burn.

Reactions: DanCar

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC