Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What size chains work for you refreshed model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ryanflynn

2021 MSLR to the moon
Apr 28, 2021
Venice, CA
Hey friends,

In a pinch up in the mountains. Weather turned and we need chains to get down the hill. Couldn’t get the chains that that are for the refreshed stock tire 255/45/r19 and they aren’t big enough. Anyone have luck with another size?

Thanks
Ryan

I can probably make chains for 21” work. Just to get down the hill. Thoughts?
I would be Extremely careful in that dept. I took my 85D to Tahoe a couple years ago. The roads closed while we were on it. Had "Z" chains". All was good Except if you don't fit them really snug, when they come loose then tend to cut the rear brake line.
I was told stories about the rocklin SC had to deal with cars on flatbeds quite often for that issue. Didn't happen to us, but the takeaway is make sure the chains are snug and not moving around. Get out and check them OFTEN. Be safe.

Reactions: Ryanflynn
Ah makes sense. We should be good getting out. I’ll drop the air pressure 10 psi, keep it slow and make sure my insurance premiums are paid. Storm coming in at around 11am, so we will leave at sunrise.

I didn’t know it was hard to get chains for a Tesla on the road. This has been a bit of a sh*tshow. Poor judgement on my part.

Ah makes sense. We should be good getting out. I’ll drop the air pressure 10 psi, keep it slow and make sure my insurance premiums are paid. Storm coming in at around 11am, so we will leave at sunrise.

I didn’t know it was hard to get chains for a Tesla on the road. This has been a bit of a sh*tshow. Poor judgement on my part.
I had a similar experience a few years back, was stuck in Truckee CA, except I had the 21 inch wheels with summer tires.
Can’t say my hands weren’t getting clammy in some areas.

Drive safely. I’m in the Tahoe area right now and the snow is intense. Good luck!

I’m up here now too with our SUV that's got AWD and M+S tires. Tried to get back to the Bay Area yesterday, but after 90 minutes had to turn around as highway 50 was closed.

Seems all roads are closed so not sure that snow chains will help? From speaking with a couple of people they've said it's 50/50 on the roads opening today, and that tomorrow will be a good day to travel

I've got the 21s with PS4s on my MS so waiting on the Tesla winter package with 19s to be delivered so I can take mine up here. Also ordered the recommended snow chains.

Yeah it was chains required up there, I lowered the air pressure to 30psi on the 19s. Kept it slow and it crawled out without issue. We passed a lot of 4x4s that got stuck.

Really impressed with the car. Filled the air back to the 42psi and the bottom of the hill and are heading back home.