Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What size tires do I need for 18" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchasing these 18" wheels from Martian Wheels. They recommend I use 235/55/R18 tires, but I saw conflicting information on the forum saying that 255/50R18 is the correct tire size. I would hope the manufacturer of the wheels is correct.

The wheel size is 18 x 8.5” +35

How do you convert that to the correct tire size?
those rims are 1" narrower than the OE 19", They are same size I'm looking to get next winter. I think the 235 makes more sense, the 235 mean the tire is 235 millimeters wide at the tread (I'm from Canada, yeah Metric System) and the OE is 255. So that's 20 Millimeter narrower, or about 12.6/16 of an inch for my US Friends. so a narrower tire is better on the 8.5" rims.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom
those rims are 1" narrower than the OE 19", They are same size I'm looking to get next winter. I think the 235 makes more sense, the 235 mean the tire is 235 millimeters wide at the tread (I'm from Canada, yeah Metric System) and the OE is 255. So that's 20 Millimeter narrower, or about 12.6/16 of an inch for my US Friends. so a narrower tire is better on the 8.5" rims.
Oh awesome. So if it’s narrower it’ll likely perform better in the snow? Also it’ll get better range because of less rolling resistance, etc?

I just want to top up with is 18s will look really small.. and handling might feel a little "floaty". I have the performance as well but went with 19s 255/45/19 for winter and 20s 255/40/20 for summer. The 21s are in permanent storage haha
20210304_194756.jpg
20210305_162750.jpg

Looks great and drives WAY smoother now. Also feels a little quicker too!
Can you post some pics? What tires and tires size did you go with? Is that your all year tire? I just got my MY and interested in the Martian wheels as well. Debating whether to get 19 and use the oem stock tires and get winter tires on the geminis. Or just get all weathers like Michelin cross climates on the martians for all year use. How did you decide on the 18 vs 19?

Can you post some pics? What tires and tires size did you go with? Is that your all year tire? I just got my MY and interested in the Martian wheels as well. Debating whether to get 19 and use the oem stock tires and get winter tires on the geminis. Or just get all weathers like Michelin cross climates on the martians for all year use. How did you decide on the 18 vs 19?
@Venom do you mind posting pics if you get a chance. Would love to see how they look.

I’m very interested in getting lighter and narrower tire/wheels for my Y, but am waiting for some one to conduct a road test. I know Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring tested them on his M3 and the results were incredible. But he also installed some el cheapo tires.