Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What smartphone are you all using?

What smartphone are you using?

• Android

Votes: 106 39.6%
  • iOS

Votes: 146 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iPhone 6s+

I am a longtime IT guy and appreciate Apple's walled garden because it is much more secure and easier to manage. When you have 1,000's of devices to worry about that is huge.

I love iMessage because I can also use it on my Mac and iPad for both standard SMS and iMessage messaging.

TouchWiz has really improved over the years, but I still prefer the stock launcher over it. I've been using Action Launcher 3 and really like it.

Touchwiz isn't just about the launcher, it's about the whole software interface/experience.

I don't use the touchwiz launcher, I use Apex. But I like the touchwiz menu settings compared to the stock menus, and the touchwiz appearance compared to the stock appearance, and the touchwiz icons compared to the stock icons, etc. etc..

I even tried cyanogen mod for more... customizations, and it had some cool features, but it looked too close to stock.

To each their own, I guess.

I deliberately disabled iMessage on my iPhone's for this very reason. I support open standards and generally only use SMS/MMS and email for written communication. The one exception is Facebook, because almost everyone I know is on Facebook and uses its messenger service (sort of like AOL instant messenger in the 90s).

iPhone is great for people who just want a device that works with minimal hassle. The downside is much less customizability without jail breaking.

Unfortunately, there is no standard for end to end encryption with SMS or MMS. S/MIME is there for email, but woefully under deployed. At least with iMessage, the transport is end to end encrypted even if the PKI is managed by Apple. Since Apple doesn't have your private key, they can't decode them during transport.

Unfortunately, there is no standard for end to end encryption with SMS or MMS. S/MIME is there for email, but woefully under deployed. At least with iMessage, the transport is end to end encrypted even if the PKI is managed by Apple. Since Apple doesn't have your private key, they can't decode them during transport.

You are getting the causation in reverse. Large number of people did not abandon SMS for iMessage or Facebook because of what the standards lacked. Rather, it was the vendors who used their near-monopoly in other technology (i.e., mobile OS and social media) to push their messaging solution, thereby making the standards irrelevant and halting their progress. As a result of this changed landscape, the traditional network providers are irrelevant and the big players, who are the software producers, have no incentive to provide open standards for communication.

For all of you Nexus 6p owners, have you had any issues with the Tesla interface not recognizing your contacts? I just picked up a new phone and it will not see my contacts at all....
I don't have this issue with my 6p, and this was independent of version. Have you unlocked your phone and installed a custom ROM? Have you tried deleting the phone from the Tesla interface and pairing it again? Reset console? In your phone Bluetooth settings, under Tesla Model S, do you have "contact sharing" checked off?

I don't have this issue with my 6p, and this was independent of version. Have you unlocked your phone and installed a custom ROM? Have you tried deleting the phone from the Tesla interface and pairing it again? Reset console? In your phone Bluetooth settings, under Tesla Model S, do you have "contact sharing" checked off?

No custom ROM and the phone is unlocked. What appears to be happening is that it is only taking the contacts from my "favorites" list rather than all of my contacts. Is there an easy way to fix this? Thanks in advance!