Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What soap and concentration with pressure washer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered an electric pressure washer to clean my cars with as I don't trust a regular place to do my Tesla and my truck is old and I don't want to pay $20 to wash it but like to keep it nice.

Only question I have is what type of soap should I use and at what concentration? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wes

Are you planning to use a foam cannon with the pressure washer? There are tons of posts and videos on the subject. It’s a matter of intense scrutiny.

I learned recently that the $16 foam cannon available on Amazon is the exact same hardware as the $60-$80 versions.

If you’re looking for high end suds I keep hearing about Ammo and Chemical Guys but haven’t tried either yet. I’m still using cheap old school soap.

I have a Dusichin soap canon. Woks great, though the seals suck pretty bad. Had to replace 2 of them, but worked a treat after. With my washes I do the following:

1. Rinse the car with pressure washer
2. Using soap canon, filled with 1/3-1/4 Chem Guys Mr. Pink and water
3. Let soak
4. Rinse car with pressure washer
5. Using double bucket method, wash car with high density microfiber wash mitt and Mr. Pink car shampoo
6. Rinse car with pressure washer
7. Wash wheels using Meguiar's Hot Wheels wheel cleaner
8. Rinse with pressure washer
9. Dry with high-end waffle microfiber towels

Pressure washer on your Tesla o_O

First, I have a weekly/bi-weekly washing date with my wheels. Start to finish takes about 1 hour. My wife refers to this as my "therapy hour".

And, by-weekly washing prevents dirt and grime buildup, resulting in a more gentle cleaning process.

I use...
  • Meguiar's Gold Car wash shampoo & conditioner.
  • Two HomeDepot/Lowes 5 gallon buckets; they are only used for car washing; One for car, one for wheels
  • Standard garden hose with spray nozzle
  • Controversial item; I clean with cloth baby diapers and then they go visit the wash after each use
  • Chamois to pull beading water off car
  • Micro-fiber towels to dry

I use the same soap product for my wheels (rims) too. Having driven a BMW 330Ci for years, I have tried many different products for dealing the brake dust. I have had conversations with the local BMW detailer too. Conclusion is to avoid harsh chemicals, powerful sprayers and just use soap, water, a good cleaning cloth...maybe a soft bristle brush...

For glass, I find the Waffle Weave towel to be outstanding.

@CinRedMan. The pressure washers come with multiple nozzles that adjust the effective pressure. From what I understand the lowest pressure nozzle is basically a wide spray that won't hurt the car but I will try it out on my old beater first before I use it on the Tesla.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I also bought the waterless car wash product from Amazon which seems to get high praise.

I'll report back.

Wes

Pressure washer on your Tesla o_O

First, I have a weekly/bi-weekly washing date with my wheels. Start to finish takes about 1 hour. My wife refers to this as my "therapy hour".

And, by-weekly washing prevents dirt and grime buildup, resulting in a more gentle cleaning process.

I use...
  • Meguiar's Gold Car wash shampoo & conditioner.
  • Two HomeDepot/Lowes 5 gallon buckets; they are only used for car washing; One for car, one for wheels
  • Standard garden hose with spray nozzle
  • Controversial item; I clean with cloth baby diapers and then they go visit the wash after each use
  • Chamois to pull beading water off car
  • Micro-fiber towels to dry

I use the same soap product for my wheels (rims) too. Having driven a BMW 330Ci for years, I have tried many different products for dealing the brake dust. I have had conversations with the local BMW detailer too. Conclusion is to avoid harsh chemicals, powerful sprayers and just use soap, water, a good cleaning cloth...maybe a soft bristle brush...

For glass, I find the Waffle Weave towel to be outstanding.

As the other post mentioned, there are multiple nozzles. I use a fan spray nozzle to soak the car and then focus it down for the wheels/wheel wells. Obviously you need to be smart when you use it and not screw up the paint, but trust me, there's nothing better...

As the other post mentioned, there are multiple nozzles. I use a fan spray nozzle to soak the car and then focus it down for the wheels/wheel wells. Obviously you need to be smart when you use it and not screw up the paint, but trust me, there's nothing better...

Wow, that's great you've find a way to do this but I'd be worried. Two bucket works great for me! Also look into getting a clear bra and you won't have to worry as much (the clear bra really allows you to wait longer to clean and makes it quicker and easier to wash too).

Ended up getting the pressure washer and experimenting on my black older truck. Worked really well and does even better on stuff around the house as far as cleaning pavers, grime off walls, etc. I went with a $150 electric SunJoe and it seems to serve all my needs thus far. Highly recommend!

Reactions: Mygr8