TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What software is used in the new nav system?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottrobertson, Apr 23, 2018.

1. scottrobertson

Do we know what software Tesla are using in the new nav system? There were reports of it being Mapbox + Valhalla, but do we know for sure?

Edit:

Based on the logo, It looks like they are using the entire Mapbox platform? Automotive | Mapbox

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That's been the most consistent report from those looking at the maps on the car.

But note that navigation online routing is done in the cloud, and we have little/no visibility to how that works. That part is honestly the most amazing thing about the new maps for me. When offline routing, it gives me typical behavior compared to most GPS systems. But when online routing, it delivers traffic-aware routes in the SF Bay Area that are competitive with Google and Waze.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. ILLCOMM

ILLCOMM Member

huge if true.

4. scottrobertson

Based on what Automotive | Mapbox is claiming, it looks pretty impressive.

5. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

Anyone else click on the link and watch the car / van drag race down the block? I thought the car had him. :). What can I say, its Monday.

• Funny x 1
  6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah, no lie! I've tried many many routes between, say, Milpitas and south San Jose during rush hour and during low traffic. The route adapts and the ETA is within maybe 3 minutes of Google/Waze, and stays true to it.

I've actually been commuting to and from work using Tesla's maps here for a week. I no longer mount my phone to my car for my commutes, it's been that dependable.

Hopefully the same is true for other regions, but at least in California, A+++++.

7. ahkahn

ahkahn Active Member

Looking at the website, this certainly does look like a great foundational key to FSD. If you read Mapbox's ADAS information, it would fit perfectly in Tesla's future offering.

It is also impressive how the traffic data points work, as well as the instantaneous routing, etc. The screenshots look exactly like the Tesla nav.

This is exciting stuff!

8. ahkahn

ahkahn Active Member

I also see that Mapbox will be offering "incidents" starting in early-2018. Another potentially cool feature.

• Like x 1